Travel Luggage

windycpa

15 hours ago, SRF said:

I haven't seen an airline enforce size limits.  And I have traveled with some VERY large cases for work.

I guess I've always assumed(!) that companies wouldn't sell it if it couldn't be checked baggage.  Now carry on is something else entirely 😞

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

If I recall I once had a carry-on allowed on the plane at one airport but denied at the connecting airport.

If airlines would simply enforce their rules I don't believe that would happen.  I've mentioned for years that when I become Czarina of the Universe my first order will be to remove all overhead bins in planes.  It either goes under your seat or you check it. And, yes, there can be special permits for certain things.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, cruise kitty said:

I have seen them enforce, & charge for oversized (air new zealand)  & yes, the warranty doesn't cover abuse...   interestingly, this luggage was purchased to replace our 10 year old Timblerland Claremont luggage, which was an absolute workhorse, if they still were available, I would have def. bought that again.  

The two times I flew Air NZ, I did not have oversize.  But I have traveled with heavy (but under 70 pounds, by a few ounces), large checked bags for work.  I have only paid for the 3rd bag and the over 50 pounds.

This is only maybe 30 different airlines.

The first trip with my Delsey, they managed to bend the extension handle, which made it hard to extend or retract.  

This is why I am trying Briggs and Riley.

16 hours ago, hallux said:

If I recall I once had a carry-on allowed on the plane at one airport but denied at the connecting airport.

I have had that happen.

Or fly 6 legs on a trip with an airline.  A week later, start out on a new trip and exactly the same carry on was not allowed.

16 hours ago, clo said:

I guess I've always assumed(!) that companies wouldn't sell it if it couldn't be checked baggage.  Now carry on is something else entirely 😞

This was not a piece sold as luggage.   It was a Pelican Storm case.  

1 minute ago, SRF said:

The two times I flew Air NZ, I did not have oversize.  But I have traveled with heavy (but under 70 pounds, by a few ounces), large checked bags for work.  I have only paid for the 3rd bag and the over 50 pounds.

This is only maybe 30 different airlines.

The first trip with my Delsey, they managed to bend the extension handle, which made it hard to extend or retract.  

This is why I am trying Briggs and Riley.

wow, I'm hoping my handle holds up.   We shall see.  Personally I try to do carry on only whenever possible, but the OP was asking about checked luggage.  So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, cruise kitty said:

wow, I'm hoping my handle holds up.   We shall see.  Personally I try to do carry on only whenever possible, but the OP was asking about checked luggage.  So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It did not break, the probably dropped another bag on it, and the side was flexible enough, it put a bow in the vertical pieces.

We only travel with carry ons and love the IT brand as it is the world's lightest.  They also make in larger sizes.

Husband decided to invest in a new TravelPro a couple of months ago and the wheels have already become warped. Would not buy one ever again.

• Like 1

We made the mistake of buying a Dept store Travelpro bag several years ago.  It pales in comparison to the quality of our eagle creek product.   No doubt some Travelpro products are very good but I would avoid the 50 or 60 percent off dept. or factory store product.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, clo said:

Oh, I was talking about our luggage which we bought as luggage.

Just relating my experience.

But these days, something may be sold as luggage, but may be oversize on some carriers.  Especially the low cost carriers.

At least one of the low cost European carriers will charge extra for a "normal" size carry on.  The free size is quite small.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

At least one of the low cost European carriers will charge extra for a "normal" size carry on.  The free size is quite small.

And some have limits of 20kg rather than 50#.  Just booked Norwegian Air for next spring so it may be them.  We flew their "premium" in the spring and it was super but don't think I'd want to be in the back.  They charge for EVERYTHING.

As someone who sees luggage of all types and sizes everyday at work...

The one brand that is showing up more and more is Away.  I haven't been able to peg a demographic for it yet.  The "Road Warriors" are showing up with Briggs & Riley and Tumi.  The "we travel everywhere" people show up with Eagle Creek.  The "we do adventure travel" show up with Eagle Creek and Osprey.  Then, there's a mix of no-name/knock-off stuff from the rest, usually who seem to travel maybe once a year.   All of the Bell Staff (and I) do not like the spinners - they are a pain to roll over carpet as they don't keep up with us and we have to slow down.  Usually, we end up just tilting then and rolling them 2-wheeled.  

I'm a mix of Eagle Creek/Osprey bags person, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.  I do have a eBags Mother Lode Jr. for quickie trips (it's 19.5:" instead of 22" long).  The Eagle Creek is a 22" 2-wheeler and one of my 3 Osprey bags is a 2-wheeler at 25" (no longer made - it's now 28" or 22").  All the other bags are backpack/handle style.   I just did a 10-day camping/hotel trip with multiple climates.  I used my new Sherpani Oslo bag for it (it's similar to an eBags Mother Lode 22") and I was able to put everything I needed into that bag.  It's another backpack/handle bag.  Even though I'm 65, I find my bags are perfect for me as I have to be able to handle everything myself one all sorts of transportation and all sorts of walking conditions.  Keep that in mind when you are looking for your luggage - can you handle that bag yourself everywhere or are you depending on a "significant other" or some employee to handle it for you...  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clo said:

And some have limits of 20kg rather than 50#.  Just booked Norwegian Air for next spring so it may be them.  We flew their "premium" in the spring and it was super but don't think I'd want to be in the back.  They charge for EVERYTHING.

BA is getting that way for their "domestic" (European) flights.  Not even free water.  Trying to be like the low cost carriers.

7 hours ago, SRF said:

BA is getting that way for their "domestic" (European) flights.  Not even free water.  Trying to be like the low cost carriers.

It was weird.  In premium we got a blanket but no pillow.  I knew this in advance and carried a pillowcase that I stuffed my down coat in when ready to sleep.  Best pillow ever 🙂

NOTICE:    Anyone looking for a non-wheeled carry on size bag, eBags has their Mother Lode Convertible  22" model on a pre-Black Friday sale at a hefty discount.  They also have some of of their wheeled bags on the flash sale, too.  Code "FLASH".

I thought it was relevant to the thread since some are looking for luggage. 

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Any suggestions for a non-expandable hardsided luggage?  I don't need expansion and I'm not fond of zippers.

Samsonite still makes a couple.  Forti and Tru-Frame are hardsided with latches.

I have a couple of Samsonite F-lite bags that I really like.  But it seems they stopped making these.

If you don't mind spending, Rimowa makes some very nice hard sided with latches.

You can call eBags or Luggage Pros and ask, they know their lines.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Samsonite still makes a couple.  Forti and Tru-Frame are hardsided with latches.

I have a couple of Samsonite F-lite bags that I really like.  But it seems they stopped making these.

If you don't mind spending, Rimowa makes some very nice hard sided with latches.

You can call eBags or Luggage Pros and ask, they know their lines.

Thank  you.  I find it amusing that many reviewers complain or ask about whether the bag meets airline size restrictions, then insist on expandable luggage.

47 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank  you.  I find it amusing that many reviewers complain or ask about whether the bag meets airline size restrictions, then insist on expandable luggage.

Yeah, that is funny.

Or want the largest bag possible, then complain that they are always over weight. 😄

Which, BTW is probably one of the TOP luggage/packing/travel tips.  Spend $10 or so, and get a luggage scale.  And do your repacking AT HOME, not at the check in counter. 😄

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yeah, that is funny.

Or want the largest bag possible, then complain that they are always over weight. 😄

Which, BTW is probably one of the TOP luggage/packing/travel tips.  Spend $10 or so, and get a luggage scale.  And do your repacking AT HOME, not at the check in counter. 😄

I've even seen a few comments advising people not to purchase a certain bag because it's too big, it will be overweight.  JMPO, but if you need an expandable bag,  you're packing too much stuff.  Make up  your mind and leave some of that stuff you'll never use behind.

BTW, some of the luggage on Amazon now includes a luggage scale.

Edited by RocketMan275

I have used expandable luggage in the past.  I also learned to pack a folding duffel bag.

These are to deal with purchases make while traveling. 🙂

Even now, I make sure I have some weight and space, just in case.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

We FINALLY got one recently!  Before Bob would weigh himself and then weigh himself holding the suitcase.  That works but the other is SO much better. And we can use it coming home also.

• Like 2