Frizzy hair

cruisegirl1976

Ok ladies.. how do you deal with the humidity in the caribbean?.. my hair goes complete frizz as soon as I walk outside.. always have to wear my hair up.. I use biosilk at home.. which works, but it can't handle the caribbean weather., and also if there are certain shampoo's / conditioners that are better for frizzy hair?

I’ve just started using this product on our Hawaii cruise...it’s spectacular. Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser Invisible Oil. Shampoo, conditioner & primer spray. I picked up a travel size at our Ulta before leaving. I bought the full size as soon as I got home. Fabulous. It also helps when there’s very little humidity (I live in CO). The travel size is pretty inexpensive for a trial 

• Like 2

I don't deal with it! My hair has no hope in humidity. I've tried so many creams, and found that reapplying before leaving the ship helps a bit. Then the salty water and the sun will help at the beginning, but afterwards it's just horrible 🙂 If you find something, I am following.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

I’ve just started using this product on our Hawaii cruise...it’s spectacular. Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser Invisible Oil. Shampoo, conditioner & primer spray. I picked up a travel size at our Ulta before leaving. I bought the full size as soon as I got home. Fabulous. It also helps when there’s very little humidity (I live in CO). The travel size is pretty inexpensive for a trial 

Thank you.. I have an Ulta right near where I live.. I will try it 🙂

• Like 1

Just go with the flow of the frizz.  Let your hair have a vacation from lotions & potions and frying!   My naturally curly hair goes pretty flat where I live (very low humidity).  It blossoms when I get somewhere humid.  I just let it do it's thing - it's not like I'm at work and my hair has to be perfectly coiffed.  Plus, my stylist says my hair is always back in great condition when I come back from a "humid" holiday...  If anything, I'll add a dab (literally) of IGK Rich Kid coconut oil gel (more of a cream than gel, though).  It's what I use at home and I have a little travel tube of it.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Just go with the flow of the frizz.  Let your hair have a vacation from lotions & potions and frying!   My naturally curly hair goes pretty flat where I live (very low humidity).  It blossoms when I get somewhere humid.  I just let it do it's thing - it's not like I'm at work and my hair has to be perfectly coiffed.  Plus, my stylist says my hair is always back in great condition when I come back from a "humid" holiday...  If anything, I'll add a dab (literally) of IGK Rich Kid coconut oil gel (more of a cream than gel, though).  It's what I use at home and I have a little travel tube of it.  

lol.. I wish I could but I would look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.. and it bothers me.. I feel like it's a constant battle.. haha.. I have to use a flat iron everyday at home or it would be scary 😞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awhfy said:

I second this recommendation.   My hair is VERY curly.   The slightest humidity and any type of blow out is out of the question.  The Bumble & Bumble keeps my curls in check so I'm not looking like a cave woman.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

lol.. I wish I could but I would look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket.. and it bothers me.. I feel like it's a constant battle.. haha.. I have to use a flat iron everyday at home or it would be scary 😞

My stylist made me swear off the flat iron or she'd dump me!  I had started to use it daily to get my in-between length hair decent enough to wear to work.  It damaged it badly!!  I went back to au natural and pinning it back (rules - could not fall in your face).  When it got longer, the pony tail was my fashion for work.  Otherwise, it was what it was!  I used to call it "Bozo the Clown" hair.  And, I spent my high school years living in a beach town - nothing like having brown frizzy hair when all the other girls had straight blonde hair. Ever try soup cans as rollers?  Back in the late 60s/early 70s it was we curly heads did!!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My stylist made me swear off the flat iron or she'd dump me!  I had started to use it daily to get my in-between length hair decent enough to wear to work.  It damaged it badly!!  I went back to au natural and pinning it back (rules - could not fall in your face).  When it got longer, the pony tail was my fashion for work.  Otherwise, it was what it was!  I used to call it "Bozo the Clown" hair.  And, I spent my high school years living in a beach town - nothing like having brown frizzy hair when all the other girls had straight blonde hair. Ever try soup cans as rollers?  Back in the late 60s/early 70s it was we curly heads did!!

yeah.. I am past the point of no return.. I have to get my hair dyed ever 4 weeks for the grey's..lol.. and I change my hair color every few months.. go from blonde to brunette.. and then add highlights.. so I use other treatments to work on the damaged hair.. but when I go on vacation .. the humidity just gets me every time..lol.

Check into the Curly Girl method. I'm a recent convert, after going gray came with going curly and straightening at higher and higher heat to get my hair to calm down led to breakage and falling out. Wearing my hair curly exclusively makes travel WAY easier. Yes, I need to bring more products, but I don't have to bring irons and straighteners and power adaptors. 

My current routine is shampooing with sulfate-free bar shampoo from Lush (my travel holy grail!) condition with a no or low silicone formula conditioner, and then add some leave in and a bunch of gel. Scrunch it in, and let that air-dry and then scrunch out the 'crunchy' bits once it's dried. I know, it's sounds like a throwback to the 80s, but my hair is basically impervious to humidity and stays curly all day, and into the next. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Check into the Curly Girl method. I'm a recent convert, after going gray came with going curly and straightening at higher and higher heat to get my hair to calm down led to breakage and falling out. Wearing my hair curly exclusively makes travel WAY easier. Yes, I need to bring more products, but I don't have to bring irons and straighteners and power adaptors. 

My current routine is shampooing with sulfate-free bar shampoo from Lush (my travel holy grail!) condition with a no or low silicone formula conditioner, and then add some leave in and a bunch of gel. Scrunch it in, and let that air-dry and then scrunch out the 'crunchy' bits once it's dried. I know, it's sounds like a throwback to the 80s, but my hair is basically impervious to humidity and stays curly all day, and into the next. 

I can try it at home .. see how it comes out..  thanks 🙂

Same boat (pun intended)...

I get my "skunk stripe" colored every 5 weeks.  I don't do a total color and I haven't changed color.  BUT, in the summer, we add a few blonde pieces to look "summery", and then in the winter we put some of the "skunk" color in stripes through the hair to darken a little.  We do low-volume color so it doesn't do as much damage.   So far, other than the flat iron issue, my hair has been good to me.  

For the Lush girl - which bar do you use?  Those bars are the ones I take with me on my travels (have to remember to pack it today!)  I've been using them off-and-on since 2000.  Godiva is what I have used for awhile as it is the one that seems to stick around - my 2 other favorites are gone.   Have you tried the Jungle bar conditioner?  It's nice, too, to take on vacation.  

On 10/29/2019 at 5:39 AM, cruisegirl1976 said:

Ok ladies.. how do you deal with the humidity in the caribbean?.. my hair goes complete frizz as soon as I walk outside.. always have to wear my hair up.. I use biosilk at home.. which works, but it can't handle the caribbean weather., and also if there are certain shampoo's / conditioners that are better for frizzy hair?

Hi, I have two recommendations, 1.  Get a brazilian blowout  (not a BKT, got the blowout one) before your trip,  yes, it's pricey but it literally saves me hours a week, & my hair is way healthier, as I don't even blow-dry during the week anymore, let alone use an iron.      2.  Have you tried a salt water mist spray?   Try experimenting at home with products that are usually called beach waves or something similar, https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/g2902/best-beach-wave-salt-sprays/?slide=2

as long as you don't overdo them, they can turn frizzy hair into wavy hair...  

• Like 1

Salt and curly hair don't go well together, especially those salt sprays.  It dries out the hair and curly hair is already drier than straight hair.  My stylist slapped my hand, too, when I told her I tried one.  My hair felt like straw.  Apparently there are some specialized ones that will be OK with curly, but the Bumble & Bumble Sea Spray was nasty. 

If you get the brazilian blowout - you lose your curly hair, though.  

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Salt and curly hair don't go well together, especially those salt sprays.  It dries out the hair and curly hair is already drier than straight hair.  My stylist slapped my hand, too, when I told her I tried one.  My hair felt like straw.  Apparently there are some specialized ones that will be OK with curly, but the Bumble & Bumble Sea Spray was nasty. 

If you get the brazilian blowout - you lose your curly hair, though.  

I don't have truly curly hair, mine is more wavy... but in humidity it's a frizz bomb.   The salt sprays work for me when I want to "go natural"  but honestly for me the blow out treatments have been a game changer.      My opinion, if someone has truly curly hair, they should go with it :)

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

And, I spent my high school years living in a beach town - nothing like having brown frizzy hair when all the other girls had straight blonde hair. Ever try soup cans as rollers?  Back in the late 60s/early 70s it was we curly heads did!!

Not just the curly heads -- I remember my older sister (in high school during late 60s/early 70s) and her friends all wearing those cans -- I think they used OJ cans. And my sister's hair is like mine -- thick and mostly straight... By the time I was in high school, everyone was sporting the more natural look, thank goodness.

By the way, I hate my graying hair.  I always had heard that hair texture can change when you start going gray, but I didn't expect the weird waviness/wiriness of the gray strands, which do not mix in AT ALL with the hair that's not gone gray yet.  It's like two different heads of hair -- not fully straight and not fully wavy.  I fight with it every morning. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not just the curly heads -- I remember my older sister (in high school during late 60s/early 70s) and her friends all wearing those cans -- I think they used OJ cans. And my sister's hair is like mine -- thick and mostly straight... By the time I was in high school, everyone was sporting the more natural look, thank goodness.

By the way, I hate my graying hair.  I always had heard that hair texture can change when you start going gray, but I didn't expect the weird waviness/wiriness of the gray strands, which do not mix in AT ALL with the hair that's not gone gray yet.  It's like two different heads of hair -- not fully straight and not fully wavy.  I fight with it every morning. 

I used Campbell's Soup cans - usually Tomato... back in the 60s/70s, blow dryers didn't exist yet, just those bonnet things that did nothing for curly hair.

My hair has gone from thick and curly to kind of thin but still curly.  It depends on the humidity.  Where I live, we have low humidity.  My hair will be nice and curly Day 1, wavy on Day 2, straight on Day 3.  I didn't get any of the wiriness.  Just thinner.

Getting old can be a b!tch.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi, I have two recommendations, 1.  Get a brazilian blowout  (not a BKT, got the blowout one) before your trip,  yes, it's pricey but it literally saves me hours a week, & my hair is way healthier, as I don't even blow-dry during the week anymore, let alone use an iron.      2.  Have you tried a salt water mist spray?   Try experimenting at home with products that are usually called beach waves or something similar, https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/g2902/best-beach-wave-salt-sprays/?slide=2

as long as you don't overdo them, they can turn frizzy hair into wavy hair...  

Thanks.. I spoke to my hair dresser last night.. she is going to do a keritan blowout.. , I am interested in the salt water mist spray.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For the Lush girl - which bar do you use?  Those bars are the ones I take with me on my travels (have to remember to pack it today!)  I've been using them off-and-on since 2000.  Godiva is what I have used for awhile as it is the one that seems to stick around - my 2 other favorites are gone.   Have you tried the Jungle bar conditioner?  It's nice, too, to take on vacation.  

I need more conditioning than the jungle bar can give me, but I love how it smelled. For shampoo bars, I have Godiva (which I love...) and "Honey, I washed my hair", which I love the smell of but Godiva is a better match for my hair. They just came out with a coconut one for curly hair that I haven't tried yet but is going to be my next purchase. 🙂

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oh man, so much this. My hair was straight or just a bit wavy my whole life, but became madly curly wherever it's more than 50% gray. Which means I've got crazy kinky curls in front and fight to get anything more than waves in back where it isn't gray yet. I straightened it daily for years, until my bangs started breaking off in my hands. I'm about 6 weeks into wearing it curly and still having more bad hair days than good ones, although I think I've got the routine down now. Taking it on the road (or the High seas!) is still a challenge, though...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Thanks.. I spoke to my hair dresser last night.. she is going to do a keritan blowout.. , I am interested in the salt water mist spray.

I think you'll love it,   takes some getting used to using the sulfa free products after, but honestly my hair has never been in such great shape...  I've been getting them for about 10 years now..  the nice thing is that on your cruise you really won't need to fuss with your much at all.... have a great cruise!   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

I think you'll love it,   takes some getting used to using the sulfa free products after, but honestly my hair has never been in such great shape...  I've been getting them for about 10 years now..  the nice thing is that on your cruise you really won't need to fuss with your much at all.... have a great cruise!   

Thank you 🙂

5 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I need more conditioning than the jungle bar can give me, but I love how it smelled. For shampoo bars, I have Godiva (which I love...) and "Honey, I washed my hair", which I love the smell of but Godiva is a better match for my hair. They just came out with a coconut one for curly hair that I haven't tried yet but is going to be my next purchase. 🙂

Are you talking about Trichomania?   That one has been around for awhile.  It's not a round like the other solid bars, but it comes in chunks (like their soaps).  I used it years ago.  I liked it, but I got into Godiva and haven't left (except when they had a Karma bar).  I couldn't use Jungle when it first came out - too much fragrance for me and would set my nose off.  They reformulated it a little while ago and I don't mind the fragrance now.   More CCers need to give the Lush bars a try!!!!