Chair Poaching

salty dingo

18 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Even if I had a medical emergency and needed to run to my cabin for life saving medicine for a half hour I would never expect to go back to my pool chair and it still be "reserved" for me.  We need to define terms.  A chair hog is one that leaves things on chairs to "reserve" them as they go about other business on the ship and away from the pool deck.  It does not matter the reason but the fact that you leave the area and go about other business not related to the pool deck that surrenders your chair next to the pool.  It makes no difference if the person got up at 5 am to put things down on a chair or used the chair until noon then leaves their belongings on the chair to "reserve" it to go to lunch somewhere.  Its the SAME THING.  I agree NCL and other lines don't like to enforce the rules since we all should be common sense adults to know right from wrong.  I expect if we discussed this 20 years ago the mood would be different.  There is a sense of entitlement today that so many feel free to act like this.  Whether cutting the line for a simple ice cream cone in the buffet or abandoning the pool deck and expecting others to treat them as royalty that we honor their "privilege" of keeping their chair for them.  Is it not common sense that pool chairs on a cruise are a hot commodity?  They can be a hard find.  For that reason, I would NEVER be so bold and arrogant to leave things on a chair and go about other things on the ship.  It does not matter the reason for me i.e. changing in your cabin, eating lunch, watching tv, playing games, or sight seeing on the waterfront. I could never do that because its so disrespectful and arrogant to my fellow passengers.  And I agree I bet I am in the minority today which is sort of sad but it is what it is. 🙄

Lmao! I didn't think anyone saw me cut in line for that ice cream cone. I'm like a stealth fighter jet when I see ice cream!

I totally understand and respect your opinion on this but, it's not against NCL's rules to leave your chair unattended for up to 30 (some ships 60) minutes to go anywhere you wish as long as you come back within the allotted time frame.

Also, and this would make me mad, no passenger should ever touch another passengers belongings. Go to an NCL rep and have them take care of it if the rules being broken.

• Like 1

If anyone ever invents a comfortable lounger that collapses to a small bag size, they would make a fortune selling them to cruisers.  Have them embroidered with "PROPERTY OF JOHN SMITH" so everyone knows they are private loungers and not ship loungers.

• Like 2

To me, this is just not worth worrying about on vacation.  Just sit somewhere else...or go somewhere else.  

I'm not saying it's right to take someones chairs...it's not.  But I'm not going to let it bother me one bit while I'm relaxing.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

If we needed to change, without question we would go one at a time while the other kept an eye on our stuff.

I use a "Travel safe" while in the pool to keep valuables safe and dry, with the wire locked around both loungers, nobody is moving them or removing my stuff.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

By the letter of the law, if the OP was truly back in 20 minutes, then they're in the right.  

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where I feel that the letter of the law is wrong.  I'm part of the camp that says that if you're still in the pool area you've got rights to your spot, but if you leave the pool area you should lose those rights.  Of course that's going to be close to impossible to police so NCL isn't going to make that the policy.  

I wish people had the common courtesy to give up their spots when they're leaving the pool deck but obviously that's never gonna happen.  

15 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Let me start by saying how much I despise chair hogs.

the Escape holds approximately 4300 people and she has a limited supply of deck chairs.  Unfortunately you felt a need to leave the area and returned later. should the other 4300 passengers be left waiting, besides your towel left on the chair, for your return? sometimes you just have to accept that it isn't "all about me". I don't mean to be swarmy but 4300 is a small city 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, doverboy said:

the Escape holds approximately 4300 people and she has a limited supply of deck chairs.  Unfortunately you felt a need to leave the area and returned later. should the other 4300 passengers be left waiting, besides your towel left on the chair, for your return? sometimes you just have to accept that it isn't "all about me". I don't mean to be swarmy but 4300 is a small city 

Yes, because NCL says it is ok. I see no difference between 20 minutes in the hot tub vs. 20 minutes to change. Personally, I hate crowds and would not be comfortable on the pool deck, we find loungers as far away as possible with many available ones around us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

Was on oceania, took a dip in the pool. Came back in 10 minutes and a French  couple took our seats. Called a deck hand and showed our room cards,eye glasses and shoes where still there. He did nothing so I grabbed his kindle and threw it in the pool. Problem solved.

Whose kindle did you throw?

15 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Let me start by saying how much I despise chair hogs. The classic example of a hog is someone who gets out on deck early to throw a towel, book, and flip flops across chairs they have no intention to use at that time. Then they go enjoy their morning secure to know a great spot awaits whenever they choose to go back on deck.

Our story is a little different. We were strolling one morning and spotted some choice loungers in Spice H2O. We sat down, got towels, got several rounds of drinks, and camped out for a couple of hours. Eventually it got hot and we needed to go back to the cabin to change into swimwear.

Now our cabin was at the opposite end of Escape, and we are not the fastest people to change clothes, but we did not go to eat, and we did not hang out in the room and watch a movie. We changed and came right back... to find that another couple had tossed our towels aside and plopped down!

I made a bit of a scene and succeeded in getting a man to switch the chair he was saving for his wife, and we plopped right next to the poachers with an attitude. They bolted, and I don't blame them. Who can relax right next to the people who you took their stuff and tossed it aside?

It soured my mood for a bit but nothing a few drinks can't cure! Anyone else encounter poachers?

guess we all have different definition of chair hogs, you said you already were there using the chairs for 2 hours, then left for at least 20 minutes and then expected the chairs to be open in a premium area after you already used them for 2 hours

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

They were wrong but what I don't understand is...

...why would someone move items from a lounger when there were plenty of empty loungers around?

I don't know, but ours were on the end of a row, and overlooking the stern wake, so kind of nice location. There was a little wall to the right where there was an equipment box that can serve as a nice spot to put a drink. Those loungers are really packed together and there were no tables to be found over in Spice H2O. If you wanted a table you needed to go get one from somwhere else on the ship.

13 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

Was on oceania, took a dip in the pool. Came back in 10 minutes and a French  couple took our seats. Called a deck hand and showed our room cards,eye glasses and shoes where still there. He did nothing so I grabbed his kindle and threw it in the pool. Problem solved.

This would have me steaming. If my personal items were still on the seat and I was gone that short a time, I would get a sopping wet towel and hold it in my hand squeezing water all over them as I leaned over them to slowly retrieve my things. I bring a Kyss tote bag with me on cruises to hold my valuables. It has a chain that you can loop around the arm of the chair and can only be removed by me. 

Mary Ann

Honest to god, I have never EVER had an issue getting a seat anywhere on a cruise ship whether it's by a pool or anywhere else.

If there isn't a seat available .... ASK.

The crew falls all over themselves to make sure you have what you want.

Astonishing what makes people "hate" other human beings.  Certainly a chair shouldn't be one of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, salty dingo said:

Let me start by saying how much I despise chair hogs. The classic example of a hog is someone who gets out on deck early to throw a towel, book, and flip flops across chairs they have no intention to use at that time. Then they go enjoy their morning secure to know a great spot awaits whenever they choose to go back on deck.

Our story is a little different. We were strolling one morning and spotted some choice loungers in Spice H2O. We sat down, got towels, got several rounds of drinks, and camped out for a couple of hours. Eventually it got hot and we needed to go back to the cabin to change into swimwear.

Now our cabin was at the opposite end of Escape, and we are not the fastest people to change clothes, but we did not go to eat, and we did not hang out in the room and watch a movie. We changed and came right back... to find that another couple had tossed our towels aside and plopped down!

I made a bit of a scene and succeeded in getting a man to switch the chair he was saving for his wife, and we plopped right next to the poachers with an attitude. They bolted, and I don't blame them. Who can relax right next to the people who you took their stuff and tossed it aside?

It soured my mood for a bit but nothing a few drinks can't cure! Anyone else encounter poachers?

your lucky they didn’t throw your abandoned property in the garbage.  I’ve tossed many a book / flip flop / sunglasses case in the trash when left abandoned. Just doing my part to help out the oft short handed crew!

41 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

your lucky they didn’t throw your abandoned property in the garbage.  I’ve tossed many a book / flip flop / sunglasses case in the trash when left abandoned. Just doing my part to help out the oft short handed crew!

If securing “your” chair during your absence is so important leave your wallet, iPad Pro, cash, credit cards, so everyone knows how serious you are.  Flip flops, sunglasses, towels, a ratty paperback, I will relocate every time.  As will most guys.  

5 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

I think that's outrageous!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

Whoa!  You did this on Oceania??!!!

sounds like Carnival behavior 

To me a cruise is all about relaxing. The whole episode got me out of my vacation zone. I got back into it soon enough but it should never have happened.

To those who say you cannot get from Spice H2O to a cabin forward, change, and get back in 20 minutes, I beg to differ. We are in good shape, no physical disability (it is a cognitive one) so we move pretty fast and use the stairs most of the time. If you rely on an elevator to get around on Escape, it can be a long wait!

On 10/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, Rv6flyer said:

We are Mike&Alice from Orange County, Ca. We used to fly the Baja many times in our plane but never did a cruise.

21 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

😂😂😂

🐃💩

• Haha 1