Carnival Cruise Lost Our Makeup Bag?

MaddieD93

7 hours ago, MaddieD93 said:

I'm definitely more used to going bare faced than I was at the start of the trip, that's for sure.

On Caribbean cruises, I find by day 2 or 3, all I put on is sunscreen and lip balm.  I put on light face and eye make-up for dinner, but the rest of the time it's just me. To this point (and we've cruised there multiple times), I have yet to see anyone point, scream, or faint at the sight of my bare skin.  LOL  

That being said, when I'm at home, I put on make-up and do my hair every day.  It only takes about 10 minutes or so in the morning, so it isn't an onerous task.  It's just a habit after years of working, I guess.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaddieD93 said:

I did! I'm back at home now so I can put my face on again (although I just took it off for the night lol.) I'm definitely more used to going bare faced than I was at the start of the trip, that's for sure.

Welcome to the Clan of the Natural Women!!! 😉

Now that you know it's possible, you can even do it at home from time to time.   I think of it as a vacation for my face and my hair when I just let it go natural.  

Going natural is a good way to take a breather from heavy make up or cooking your hair to a fare-the-well. I do love getting dressed up and all that goes with it.  Probably because I'm an exercise instructor and live in sweaty spandex and sneakers all week long.  When my class members see me out, like at the grocery store, they're startled saying they didn't initially recognize me with my hair not pulled back. 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Going natural is a good way to take a breather from heavy make up or cooking your hair to a fare-the-well. I do love getting dressed up and all that goes with it.  Probably because I'm an exercise instructor and live in sweaty spandex and sneakers all week long.  When my class members see me out, like at the grocery store, they're startled saying they didn't initially recognize me with my hair not pulled back. 😎

I guess that's true. I showed some friends from work the pictures from our trip and they didn't even recognize me au naturale. 

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Welcome to the Clan of the Natural Women!!! 😉

Now that you know it's possible, you can even do it at home from time to time.   I think of it as a vacation for my face and my hair when I just let it go natural.  

I would love to just stop worrying about my hair and makeup but I don't think I could do it daily. I feel so naked with a bare face!

16 hours ago, ger_77 said:

On Caribbean cruises, I find by day 2 or 3, all I put on is sunscreen and lip balm.  I put on light face and eye make-up for dinner, but the rest of the time it's just me. To this point (and we've cruised there multiple times), I have yet to see anyone point, scream, or faint at the sight of my bare skin.  LOL  

That being said, when I'm at home, I put on make-up and do my hair every day.  It only takes about 10 minutes or so in the morning, so it isn't an onerous task.  It's just a habit after years of working, I guess.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Thanks!

On 11/16/2019 at 5:54 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I run into that too, of not recognizing/being recognized when seeing other from the gym.  Another confusing group sometimes is medical personnel (in scrubs).  I saw my hygienist shopping once and it took me several minutes to recognize her in the different setting 🙂 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, MaddieD93 said:

I would love to just stop worrying about my hair and makeup but I don't think I could do it daily. I feel so naked with a bare face!

Now that I've started wearing make-up again I understand the feeling.  It's almost like a modesty thing for me - my nakedness is for my husband 😉 I'm beginning to understand why my Great Grandmother wouldn't leave her bedroom in the morning until she had her "face" done.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:03 PM, MaddieD93 said:

I showed some friends from work the pictures from our trip and they didn't even recognize me au naturale. 

I read this earlier and have debated whether to comment.  I know this sounds mean but if your looks changed that much, do you think perhaps that you might be wearing too much makeup?  One of our daughters (our fashionista one!) wears a lot of makeup (I've seen her apply it) but she doesn't look like she's wearing any. Have you ever tried just making up half your entire face and perhaps taking a photo?  Again, my apologies if I've hurt your feelings.  Sincerely, Cath

Oh I don't mind the comment. I was exaggerating a bit when I said they couldn't recognize me without makeup. They could tell it was me still but we're surprised to see me baring my naked face, especially because I've never been to work without makeup before. I don't wear a ton of makeup but it does make a big difference and people can obviously tell when I'm not wearing any. Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the ability to look perfect naturally so a little help goes a long way 😊

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Now that I've started wearing make-up again I understand the feeling.  It's almost like a modesty thing for me - my nakedness is for my husband 😉 I'm beginning to understand why my Great Grandmother wouldn't leave her bedroom in the morning until she had her "face" done.

I can totally relate. When you wear makeup every day it becomes like putting on pants. I feel super vulnerable whenever I have to go to a dermatologist or (rarely) the gym without makeup on. I prefer to keep my acne and nonexistent brows private 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to laugh.  I'm old enough to remember burning my bra and happy when girdles went out of style. Women were free.  We all went natural.  Then, came spanx.  And eyebrows that are braided or tattooed.  And eyelashes longer and heavier, defying gravity.  Women lock themselves into their rooms, refusing to be seen without lots of chemicals and stuff on their faces.  I think we're going backwards. As Maurice Chevalier sang in Gigi:  I'm glad I'm not young anymore.   What happened to our confidence in ourselves?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

I have to laugh.  I'm old enough to remember burning my bra and happy when girdles went out of style. Women were free.  We all went natural.  Then, came spanx.  And eyebrows that are braided or tattooed.  And eyelashes longer and heavier, defying gravity.  Women lock themselves into their rooms, refusing to be seen without lots of chemicals and stuff on their faces.  I think we're going backwards. As Maurice Chevalier sang in Gigi:  I'm glad I'm not young anymore.   What happened to our confidence in ourselves?

I understand. I hate having to put makeup on to feel complete but it is what it is I guess.

I think there is a lot more variation in "presentation" these days. Some women enjoy makeup, and social media allows people to share techniques and products in ways they couldn't in the past. Some women don't want to wear makeup, or wear very little, some of us are somewhere in the middle, and some people do both. I can see this variety in my daily work life - takes all kinds!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

While I don't regularly wear girdles or spanx (maybe with some formal wear), I personally can't imagine burning my bra 🙂 After nursing 2 children my body needs all the help from gravity it can get 😉 More power to those of you who can "let it all hang loose."

I've never done false lashes, but I do appreciate mascara and brow gel to help bring out my eyes.  My brows especially are very fair, so it's nice to have the extra definition.  I'll put chemicals on my face (SPF) to help prevent cancer later if I'm likely to be in the sun and not able to wear a hat.  My Great Grandmother (who wouldn't be seen w/o makeup) was born in 1901, so it really isn't a new thing.  When I go to the gym or races I don't wear makeup so I don't refuse to be seen, but I do feel better when I'm more put together.

I think a woman can be confident and enjoy wearing make-up.

• Like 2