I survive on specialty coffee and bottled water😊​​​​​​​

CruiserKim

Am I the only one that wishes there was an option for a non alcoholic beverage package that wasn't just soda?

I literally survive on bottled water and specialty coffee!  I would love to be able to choose a beverage package that included premium non alcoholic beverages.....fresh juice, bottled water, and definitely specialty coffees!  I wish this was an option.  I love the idea of just having a package available and the freedom that goes along with not having to think about the individual cost every time I order something.  I am guessing this wouldn't be the popular choice but there must be some people who would enjoy that type of beverage package.

I wound up taking all the free at sea amenities for my upcoming 5 day sky cruise because it felt easier than choosing just 2.  But the premium beverage package will be wasted on me.  Maybe 1 or 2 virgin coladas and 1 or 2 sodas.  I would be so psyched if it included the non alcoholic "premium" choices.  I realize I can upgrade for like another $30 day but that feels a bit silly.  I would be the caffeinated maniac running loops around the jogging track to get my $30 worth.......

Thanks for listening 😆

• Like 6

Thanks for backing me up - I thought I was opening myself up for lots of criticism 😉

And thanks for the ideas!

It has been at least 10 years since I cruised with Royal.  Just looked at their beverage packages and the "refereshment" package would suit me perfectly.

Too bad NCL doesn't create a similar package and let you choose!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

I hear you . My drug of choice is espresso/cappuccino but cant afford to drink on board and pay Starbucks ridiculous prices.

That' s the one thing I like about Royal Caribbean line  is there beverage package.

Yes, other Line’s drink packages are better but you pay full price for it. When I sailed the Bliss for 15 days the drink package for my wife and I was less than $500 for the service charge . Cruises of equal length on Royal or Carnival cost $1500 for the drink package ..... that $1000 savings buys a heck of a lot of bottled water and enough cappuccino to stop your heart. NCL’s free at sea drink promo is still the best value. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CruiserKim said:

Am I the only one that wishes there was an option for a non alcoholic beverage package that wasn't just soda?

I literally survive on bottled water and specialty coffee!  I would love to be able to choose a beverage package that included premium non alcoholic beverages.....fresh juice, bottled water, and definitely specialty coffees!  I wish this was an option.  I love the idea of just having a package available and the freedom that goes along with not having to think about the individual cost every time I order something.  I am guessing this wouldn't be the popular choice but there must be some people who would enjoy that type of beverage package.

I wound up taking all the free at sea amenities for my upcoming 5 day sky cruise because it felt easier than choosing just 2.  But the premium beverage package will be wasted on me.  Maybe 1 or 2 virgin coladas and 1 or 2 sodas.  I would be so psyched if it included the non alcoholic "premium" choices.  I realize I can upgrade for like another $30 day but that feels a bit silly.  I would be the caffeinated maniac running loops around the jogging track to get my $30 worth.......

Thanks for listening 😆

Me too!  I am used to RCI having this.  We are sailing on the Getaway in 11 days and I ordered the bottle water for our stateroom and I have the Starbucks app so I will just use that for my specialty coffees.  The UDP is not worth it for me even with just paying the gratuities.  This is my first time going on NCL.

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, other Line’s drink packages are better but you pay full price for it. When I sailed the Bliss for 15 days the drink package for my wife and I was less than $500 for the service charge . Cruises of equal length on Royal or Carnival cost $1500 for the drink package ..... that $1000 savings buys a heck of a lot of bottled water and enough cappuccino to stop your heart. NCL’s free at sea drink promo is still the best value. 

I'm not talking about booze package I,m talking about non alcoholic pkg and when you drink 6 -8 doubles a day you certainly get your monies worth and my partner wasd rinking 2 large fresh squeezed every morning.

Me too!  I like RCI's soda package (much prefer running to the soda machine instead of trying to get a bartender's attention) and would love specialty coffees (I've been cruising for 10 years and haven't had good free coffee yet!) and sparkling water rather than alcohol.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 5:28 AM, tallnthensome said:

And an added benefit to just buying your coffee with the "savings" is the lack of line.  If it were included in any sort of package on NCL where so many have the package, the line would be crazy.  

Same here on my last TA no beverage package but I preordered 2 cases of bottled water for $44 (1 liter bottles) bought packages of sugar free ice tea and lemonade mix and got one grande American coffee every morning. Hubby drinks wine so we bought 5 bottles of wines and paid the $15 per bottle corkage fee. 

On HAL and RCI I got the non alcoholic beverage package in particular the HAL one was $20 per day so for 12 days it costs me $240. I calculated costs on Bill I spent $1000 on drinks if I did no have that package. 

• 2 months later...

I just booked my first NCL in several years, after sailing several Carnival cruises in a row. I was shocked that the alcohol package doesn’t include specialty coffee. Seems for some ‘on the fence’ to purchase (when not free) or so decide NCL this would be a huge incentive and cheap addition.  

How much is specialty coffee? Like for a latte? And just plain black coffee? Have lots of OBC but want to know how fast it'll disappear.

And are there long lines in the morning to get it?

Service charge on it?

Know it sounds el cheapo but if I bring my french press can I get hot water in the morning?

Lastly- I always bring a water bottle. Is the water I get in the dining room same as what will come out of the tap in stateroom?

Does the water taste OK? I just got off a Windstar cruise and their filtered water tasted "stale".

Thanks!

Edited by Petoonya

RCI refreshment package would be the perfect option. RCI also will have sales on it on different sailings and times. My DH always gets it. This is our first first cruise with NCL. Originally I didn’t get the drink package in the free at seas but then changed  my mind due to number of days on ship. I also have Starbucks GC to use in addition to the app if needed. I’m thinking of taking water bottles vs getting the water for the room. Will see how I feel this week about it as we board Sunday. 

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

How much is specialty coffee? Like for a latte? And just plain black coffee? Have lots of OBC but want to know how fast it'll disappear.

Just found a menu from 2017. Prices comparable to regular Starbucks unless they've gone up. Service charge? Long lines in the morn?

41 minutes ago, HoosierShipmate said:

I just booked my first NCL in several years, after sailing several Carnival cruises in a row. I was shocked that the alcohol package doesn’t include specialty coffee. Seems for some ‘on the fence’ to purchase (when not free) or so decide NCL this would be a huge incentive and cheap addition.  

I think a very small percentage pay for the package.

15 minutes ago, imlulu said:

RCI refreshment package would be the perfect option. RCI also will have sales on it on different sailings and times. My DH always gets it. This is our first first cruise with NCL. Originally I didn’t get the drink package in the free at seas but then changed  my mind due to number of days on ship. I also have Starbucks GC to use in addition to the app if needed. I’m thinking of taking water bottles vs getting the water for the room. Will see how I feel this week about it as we board Sunday. 

Do you know for sure if the Starbucks on board will accept a GC? I know that certain Starbucks (like those in grocery stores) don't work quite the same way in regards to rewards as the standalone stores. You can earn stars but not redeem them. I'm not sure if GCs work the same way or not.

28 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Is the water I get in the dining room same as what will come out of the tap in stateroom?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Yes

No, the water in the dining room has a final (at point of use) filtration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks- very much appreciated. Does dining room water taste OK to you?

The dining room water tastes fine to me, never seen a complaint the servers walk around with jugs topping everyone up.