Rude passengers!!!

AndyMichelle

Just read a post on another site that really bothered me. 

A passenger currently onboard Oceana was removing desserts from the chiller in Cafe Jardine (a for fee restaurant) and taking them elsewhere to eat. 

When the waiter told him he couldn't take them, he said 'watch me' before pushing past him. 

I have seen the odd ignoramus be rude to the staff, just wondered if others had encountered this sort of behavior. 

The staff work hard to make our holiday special, is there ever a need to disrespect them? 

Andy 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just read a post on another site that really bothered me. 

A passenger currently onboard Oceana was removing desserts from the chiller in Cafe Jardine (a for fee restaurant) and taking them elsewhere to eat. 

When the waiter told him he couldn't take them, he said 'watch me' before pushing past him. 

I have seen the odd ignoramus be rude to the staff, just wondered if others had encountered this sort of behavior. 

The staff work hard to make our holiday special, is there ever a need to disrespect them? 

Andy 

That was rude bullying behaviour by that passenger.

I have seen many rude passengers just arriving at the lifts and jumping in before people who have been patiently waiting for the lift.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hansol1966 said:

After the safety drill passengers are asked to wait and let least able and disabled passengers to use the lifts first...Ok for ten seconds then it’s a free for all.

Yes I have seen this, it becomes a free for all. 

Hopefully this will improve now you don't have to take your life jacket to muster, passengers may be more likely to grab a drink and let the queues die down. 

Andy 

There are a small minority (much the same as normal life I guess) of very rude and horrible people.  My wife was knocked off her feet whilst leaving the theatre by a  bloke pushing passed her rushing to get somewhere.  He didn't even stop although if he had I guess I might have been in trouble as well.   I have also seen some be very rude to staff expecting cabin staff to run all sorts of errands for them which is unfair as they can't fight back.   Thankfully it is still a minority but to my mind rudeness/ intolerance is increasing as the years go by.      

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes I have seen this, it becomes a free for all. 

Hopefully this will improve now you don't have to take your life jacket to muster, passengers may be more likely to grab a drink and let the queues die down. 

Andy 

I doubt it Andy, but P&O could allow wheelchair passengers to leave the muster station first like RCI do on their musters, they did it once when we were on Azura and wheelchair muster was done in the Atrium, but since then it seems to have reverted to a free for all.

• Like 1

On our first cruise and in the mdr a passenger shouted really loud at the waiter. The waiter had picked his wife's plate up to clear it away. His wife said something to him and he waved his hand in dismissal at the waiter allowing him to then take the plate away. 

The man who was dressed in a suit was sat sideways in his seat with his legs crossed. He had arrogance written all over him in his posture. He wasn't a slob by any means. So when I keep reading about how refined it is in the main dining room compared to the buffet, I have to laugh. 

I have also heard a posh lady complaining about the food that was served while on a tour. The food was laid out very nicely on the table and we had even been given some wine which was an added bonus. The posh lady didn't like what she was given and demanded, not asked nicely for something else. It was a visit to a cheese farm. The food wasn't meant to be a meal just a taste of what they produced. If she didn't like it, why didn't she do as I did and not eat it. It would only have been a few hours since her last meal and I'm sure not long to her next one.

• Like 1

There are some incredibly rude passengers from time to time, thinking they're being somehow grand or clever by belittling the poor staff.  Not many, but enough to make life unpleasant for them.

The staff are unfailingly helpful and understanding, but I do feel for them.

Then there are the ones who try to upset fellow passengers on the table - one of our friends was reduced to tears by one woman.  Always nice to turn the tables on these people (often serial boasters) - and I loved the occasion when some chap who'd been boasting about his cars was put in his place by a lovely lady on the table dropping into the conversation that her chauffeur was picking her up at Southampton - pack of lies, but she carried it off well and shut him up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt it Andy, but P&O could allow wheelchair passengers to leave the muster station first like RCI do on their musters, they did it once when we were on Azura and wheelchair muster was done in the Atrium, but since then it seems to have reverted to a free for all.

In my bubble where there is good in everybody!! I would hope people were decent enough to let the wheelchair users and those who didn't have the option to use the stairs to go first, but I know this is not reality. 

I know plenty of people have disabilities you can't see, Michelle is one of them, but it doesn't stop us waiting patiently. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Re the original post the rudeness was bad enough but I’m surprised that the ship did nothing as technically the passenger’s actions was theft. 

Unless it was lunchtime when Café Jardin does not have a cover charge? or at least it did not have a cover charge in the past, even if free the passenger should not have removed crockery from the premises without permission.

21 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Unless it was lunchtime when Café Jardin does not have a cover charge? or at least it did not have a cover charge in the past, even if free the passenger should not have removed crockery from the premises without permission.

I believe it was an evening Dave as other passengers took offence as they were paying the cover charge and this guy wasn't. 

Only hearsay though, I wasn't there. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Re the original post the rudeness was bad enough but I’m surprised that the ship did nothing as technically the passenger’s actions was theft. 

That would give him his just desserts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have often encountered rude people in the buffet areas,no intentions of joining lines,adds to the problems of people not looking where they are going(or are they not going where they are looking?),added to kids running running around,can get very interesting to say the least!

• Like 1

It is not just the passengers who are rude and arrogant it can be The Officers as well. Recently onboard Celebrity Reflection my hubby almost has his hand trapped in the glass door of a dessert cabinet by a very rude "officer" slamming open the other side of the cabinet, if it hadn't been for my OH's  quick reaction in pulling his arm out it could have been quite nasty. Then the officer glared at him and walked off, no apology nothing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Ok I am confused 

I have only been on the azura. Is this cafe jardin a Costa coffee place like at the bottom of atrium in azura? 

No, it is an Italian fee charging restaurant in the evenings but a free cafe during the day. 

Andy 

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

No, it is an Italian fee charging restaurant in the evenings but a free cafe during the day. 

Andy 

so it’s like the Costa cafe thing in the day where you can pay for a coffee but all the cakes, biscuits etc that are there are the same ones as upstairs and you get them free when you buy the coffee ? 

see cos I think really if the food that’s in the cabinet is free in the cafe bit cos it’s exactly same as the buffet then really you shouldn’t need to buy a coffee to get it to be honest. It annoyed me that slightly but I was having a tea anyway but kids wanted something to eat and was easier than going upstairs. —. So if it is like this and during day then I kinda understand. No need to be rude though 

if the person was taking food out when it was night at the chargable Italian restaurant bit then no was definitely not on and very poor form. 

No.  It’s not the same

It does breakfast (unique menu - not buffet not MDR) and lunch, both fee-free.  It is not a cafe.  You don’t get coffee & cake (free or paid) at any time.

In the evening it becomes a paid-for Italian themed restaurant (bookings required)

4 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

No.  It’s not the same

It does breakfast (unique menu - not buffet not MDR) and lunch, both fee-free.  It is not a cafe.  You don’t get coffee & cake (free or paid) at any time.

In the evening it becomes a paid-for Italian themed restaurant (bookings required)

Yeah no can’t just take stuff in there then that’s wrong. Not sure why they would do that then. 

I do think java (is it called?) should be able to give the food without the coffee but that’s a other issue. If it was special cake then I could understand but just normal buffet stuff then I don’t get that 

Funnily enough the worst thing we've witnessed was also Oceana. We were in the buffet having breakfast and it was a bit cool. A stroppy old g*t at the table next to us shouted over  the waiter and asked him what he was going to do about the fact it was so cold - though not quite as nicely as that! The waiter smiled and shrugged as you might expect. This old guy then gave the waiter all kinds of abuse including racist, his wife got up and moved away and my OH said (politely, believe it or not! )- that he couldn't speak to the staff like that. The man who looked to be in his 80s then put his fists up to my OH and said he'd see him outside. Meanwhile I fetched the head waiter and complained to him about the man.  Not seen much of that kind of thing on all our cruises to be fair.  

Once saw a large rowdy bunch (20 or so) travelling together on Azura in 2011 - took over the place and refused to do anything that staff asked - but that's another story....

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1