Does the crew know we've pre-paid gratuities?

dlwolf72

I usually remove grats, as we like to give cash.  We are super low maintenance but still start out with cash and a convo with our cabin steward.  Don't every really need anything special, just like him/her to know who we are and what we're looking for.  MDR staff gets a hefty cash tip, but not until the end, as I am 100% high maintenance there.  Food allergy and all.  Would never, ever not tip the minimum.  Even if there was an issue.  Feel like the min tip is kind of more like part of the staff's salary than gratuity.  Just my two cents.  

33 minutes ago, budmeister said:

"you have clean linens and towels in your room, the staff in the laundry department contributed to that. "

Do those people get a portion of tips?

When you leave it up to Royal to give out your tips,  you don't know where your money goes.   

• Like 4

I usually do the auto daily gratuities. That being said, worrying about people 'behind the scenes' getting tipped is ridiculous. The cruise line should be paying them a wage. I can see tipping your daily servers/room stewards because you have more of a one on one relationship during the cruise. 

When specialty/MTD started the cruiselines were in a sticky situation because this one on one relationship no longer exists. They had to find a way around it, so they started auto and prepaid grats, "so that you can be sure everyone will be getting paid" and you can sleep well at night. 

They have done a good job marketing this way of tipping as lots of posters here are worrying about the people doing their laundry and such. What is your cruise fare for?

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, LESLIEKURZ said:

I usually remove grats, as we like to give cash.  

Which can bring up another argument in these threads as to whether they have to turn that cash into the tipping pool or can they keep it.   Ive seen it reported here that if you remove auto grats that any cash you give has to be turned in.  If you leave auto grats in place, they can keep cash you give above that.  Who really knows how it works other than Royal Caribbean.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ryano said:

Which can bring up another argument in these threads as to whether they have to turn that cash into the tipping pool or can they keep it.   Ive seen it reported here that if you remove auto grats that any cash you give has to be turned in.  If you leave auto grats in place, they can keep cash you give above that.  Who really knows how it works other than Royal Caribbean.   

The crewmember does not necessarily have to turn in cash tips in order to have them pooled.  They can be "assessed" tips by the company to accomplish the same effect.  In other words, the company assumes the crewmember was paid their standard tips and deducts that from their paycheck.

45 minutes ago, marci22 said:

When specialty/MTD started the cruiselines were in a sticky situation because this one on one relationship no longer exists. They had to find a way around it, so they started auto and prepaid grats, "so that you can be sure everyone will be getting paid" and you can sleep well at night. 

Prepaid gratuities were an option before MTD started.   The preference for auto gratuities has nothing to with "making sure people sleep at night" and more to do with convenince.   I don't miss the old days of spending the last night of my cruise running around with envelopes to give to the room stewards and main dining room staff.   

The auto gratuity is $14/day split between several members of the crew.   I would have to receive pretty crappy service to not pay this.  

Edited by lovemylab
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, springfire said:

Tip the way that works best for you.  We use the envelopes provided by customer service, this works best for us.  You can prepay or do automatic gratuities if you prefer, we have choices.

I like choices. Choices are good. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, spookwife said:

yes.  they also have a list of who has removed the daily charge.   and for those that say  this is all supposition, I have personally seen said list on both the cabin stewards cart and  in the galley.  and yes I was able to get a close enough look to verify.  

that being said, it has ZERO relevance on how you are treated by anybody

Agree, they do know who has removed them...

25 minutes ago, Cruisin_n_Boozin said:

I like to switch to cash, then actually leave nothing...

kidding... calm down

Actually 20-30+ yrs ago when everyone went to Main Dining B-L-D and had same table, was Ironic how many Tables were empty the Last Nite, TIP Nite. Not saying all, but many didn't pay 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The crewmember does not necessarily have to turn in cash tips in order to have them pooled.  They can be "assessed" tips by the company to accomplish the same effect.  In other words, the company assumes the crewmember was paid their standard tips and deducts that from their paycheck.

Not doubting that this is true but how does the company know a crew member has been tipped in cash?

Honor system?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Not doubting that this is true but how does the company know a crew member has been tipped in cash?

Honor system?

The way it was explained to me, the company assumes the crew member has received at least the standard tip, and the crew member has to jump through a few hoops to certify to the company that they received no tip or less than the standard tip. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spookwife said:

yes.  they also have a list of who has removed the daily charge.   and for those that say  this is all supposition, I have personally seen said list on both the cabin stewards cart and  in the galley.  and yes I was able to get a close enough look to verify.  

that being said, it has ZERO relevance on how you are treated by anybody

I’m glad they know, and I’m not embarrassed by it. If they know I have removed the auto gratuity, then they know I expect more than the standard level of service. If someone knows they have their tip before the cruise ever starts, where is the incentive to do better than average??

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mayleeman said:

How have you managed to find all the people who provided you service throughout the cruise at breakfast and lunch, and at the coffee shop and the buffet? You must be very tired after a cruise.

These people get a salary from the cruiseline. I consider pouring a cup of coffee, cleaning up the table in the buffet, doing the dishes and laundry as services included in my base cruise fare. Why would I pay extra for the mundane?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Actually, they way the wage structure is set up on mainstream cruise lines is that tips pay most of their wages. If you do not agree with this method, don’t get on the ship. The employees have contracts and need to be paid a certain amount. The more folks decide not to pony up, the more fares and DSC’s go up.

The wage structure is set up to GUARANTEE a minimum., the cruiseline guarantees that.

amount by law.  If the crew aren’t willing to accept that then they shouldn’t get on the ship, not me. Tips are for above and beyond, not for maintaining status quo

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The way it was explained to me, the company assumes the crew member has received at least the standard tip, and the crew member has to jump through a few hoops to certify to the company that they received no tip or less than the standard tip. 

Wow, that's crazy. How does one prove they did not receive a tip?

For me, I always remove them. But these days we never go to the MDR, thus I tip accordingly to the server in front of me.

As for the room attendant, ive been told multiple times, by them, that they prefer cash. And so that's what I do. I suspect it's better for them as I know I'm pretty generous.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Royal is very clear about where the tips get allocated!

The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

I guess you find their policy clear, I do not.    The way Royal's policy is set up they can give your tips to almost anyone  on  any of  their ships.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1