Little touches of luxury

Ann_on_the_road

As noted regularly in this forum, everyone’s idea  idea of luxury differs. I’m thinking of small details that would amplify my vacation experience, no matter that someone else might find them trivial.  Who knows, maybe some cruise companies will be inspired by a thread of desirable touches that aren’t going to make it into the brochures.

for DH, a seriously well stocked library reference selection of nature field guides would be an outsized gesture. 
for me, I love to buy bouquets in local markets - having a cabin crew member produce a vase would be a lovely extra. 
Cabin light dimmer switches are always a plus, especially bedside. Emery boards in the toiletry supplies, always nice when needed. But that’s just me. 

what little touches would signal luxury to you even if no one else cared? Have you experienced anything along these lines, beyond the usual lux hygiene products or top shelf liquor that seems to take up so much bandwidth here. 

I think there are differences to preferences, “niceties” and luxury.  I would love for any cruise line to have the ice cream I like (which is actually an inexpensive store brand), but I would not say that ice cream is a luxury, more of a preference.  I also do like a good stocked library on a cruise ship, but I think of that as a “nicety”.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

For us luxury is defined by great food, butlers, beautiful suites, good  lectures, few or no children and some
fresh flowers in suite. 
 No SMOKING and wonderful service is everything. 

Is there  a cruise line with NO smoking??

4 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Maybe not none but extremely limited and some have only one enclosed indoors and very limited outdoors in areas easily avoided.

What luxury line is that?

Crystal  seem to have several locations on their ships  where smoking is allowed

1 minute ago, orchestrapal said:

Crystal for LUXURY and not to be mentioned Viking and Oceania in the premium category.

Crystal  have  several locations for smoking  not just  a couple like Oceania

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I guess  the point I was trying to make  but failed 😎

was you can get  those wishes on many lines not just luxury ones  which this forum is for

There are plenty of threads here on the general contours of luxury-positioned and -marketed lines. I started this to discuss the finer, more personal (maybe even quirky) additions that make an experience even more luxurious. 

the tag line of this sub is “Luxury Cruising - Is it a state of mind?” So I think the question is fair game, but I will happily defer to the mods. 

• Like 1

Looks like this has turned into another smoking thread.  

Back to the OP topic.

For me luxury transcends the ship:

Ratio space to guest

Ratio crew to guests

High Quality finish out of the interior of the ship including public rooms and guest rooms.

Little touches in public areas including real towels in the public bathrooms to real flower displays in public areas

Canapés in the lounges before or after dinner

Personable service treating you as a person and not a number

Cuisine that is prepared and presented more like one would find at a high end restaurant and not at a banquet facility.

Lecturers on all voyages (not just on sea days) and a wide range of entertainment.

A seasoned and refined crew.

I could probably list another couple of hundred items but these are some of them.

When I think of luxury on a cruise ship I think of the finish out and the experience one might have at a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons property or of similar ones (Fortes, Shangri La, Peninsula, etc.)  You see similar characteristics at most of their properties.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, Ann_on_the_road said:

As noted regularly in this forum, everyone’s idea  idea of luxury differs. I’m thinking of small details that would amplify my vacation experience, no matter that someone else might find them trivial.  Who knows, maybe some cruise companies will be inspired by a thread of desirable touches that aren’t going to make it into the brochures.

for DH, a seriously well stocked library reference selection of nature field guides would be an outsized gesture. 
for me, I love to buy bouquets in local markets - having a cabin crew member produce a vase would be a lovely extra. 
Cabin light dimmer switches are always a plus, especially bedside. Emery boards in the toiletry supplies, always nice when needed. But that’s just me. 

what little touches would signal luxury to you even if no one else cared? Have you experienced anything along these lines, beyond the usual lux hygiene products or top shelf liquor that seems to take up so much bandwidth here. 

I like the idea of your post and take it as dreaming/thinking out loud, not necessarily what I should expect to find 🙂 My husband and I have only sailed mainstream lines so far, but are upgrading to Viking Ocean for our 25th anniversary next year (I know, it isn't luxury, but seems to be discussed some on this board).  While I'm not very familiar with luxury, part of it for me is having my wants/needs anticipated - not having to ask for extras.  Another part (and I don't know if I can express it well) is "invisible" service.  We had an amazing meal once where I could enjoy the food and conversation without being interrupted by the wait staff, yet my glasses were always filled and courses were switched discreetly.  

I second your idea of dimmer switches bed side.  I didn't realize you could bring flowers onboard with you - maybe that varies by line/itinerary (I've only sailed from East Coast US).  I saw a video for Viking that they have cloth towels in the restrooms (with a bin for used so fresh each use) - that seemed luxurious to me.  

On 11/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, LHT28 said:

Is there  a cruise line with NO smoking??

While not NO smoking, my understanding of Viking Ocean is no smoking in interior spaces or on balconies and only a very small outside smoking area.

27 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I like the idea of your post and take it as dreaming/thinking out loud, not necessarily what I should expect to find 🙂 My husband and I have only sailed mainstream lines so far, but are upgrading to Viking Ocean for our 25th anniversary next year (I know, it isn't luxury, but seems to be discussed some on this board).  While I'm not very familiar with luxury, part of it for me is having my wants/needs anticipated - not having to ask for extras.  Another part (and I don't know if I can express it well) is "invisible" service.  We had an amazing meal once where I could enjoy the food and conversation without being interrupted by the wait staff, yet my glasses were always filled and courses were switched discreetly.  

I second your idea of dimmer switches bed side.  I didn't realize you could bring flowers onboard with you - maybe that varies by line/itinerary (I've only sailed from East Coast US).  I saw a video for Viking that they have cloth towels in the restrooms (with a bin for used so fresh each use) - that seemed luxurious to me.  

While not NO smoking, my understanding of Viking Ocean is no smoking in interior spaces or on balconies and only a very small outside smoking area.

Similar to Oceania  which in not a luxury line   but has some features that are luxurious

Sometimes cruise lines are more similar  in many ways  😉

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I like the idea of your post and take it as dreaming/thinking out loud, not necessarily what I should expect to find 🙂 My husband and I have only sailed mainstream lines so far, but are upgrading to Viking.While not NO smoking, my understanding of Viking Ocean is no smoking in interior spaces or on balconies and only a very small outside smoking area.

You are correct about the smoking and you need never go up to the top deck where the area is.👍

The service is very good on Viking while not as professional or as “invisible“ as it is on some luxury lines.

Enjoy your cruise on Viking.

• Thanks 1

Luxury to me is about having a lot of space to comfortably sit, and to enjoy the sea away from noisy crowds if not in the mood for chatter. It is also about being able to avoid standing in big lines.

A redundancy in service personnel facilitates this.

I particularly love the luxury of having someone at reception on a cruise or at a hotel immediately answer and speak politely and helpfully when I call with a question or about an issue.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Complimentary overnight laundry as The Peninsula Hotels provide.  A daily gift such as Four Seasons places in your upgraded room.  Being personally greeted by the general manager upon check-in. A lovely thank you gift mailed to your home after a Four Seasons tour.  A beautiful thank you gift from Kensington Tours.  Fun little surprises of gifts or experiences provided on Tauck river cruises.  And minor but much appreciated is a salon-quality hair drier.

The first time my husband and I sailed on Hebridean Princess, we did a back to back.  On turnaround day, they booked a cab for me, my husband, and another lady doing a back to back.  We went to see the Burrell Collection in Glasgow and had lunch.  The ship paid for the taxi and our lunch, and while we were gone, even did our laundry for free.  😄  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

The first time my husband and I sailed on Hebridean Princess, we did a back to back.  On turnaround day, they booked a cab for me, my husband, and another lady doing a back to back.  We went to see the Burrell Collection in Glasgow and had lunch.  The ship paid for the taxi and our lunch, and while we were gone, even did our laundry for free.  😄  

Thanks for posting this. First time to hear of Hebridean Princess and I am intrigued by their routes, especially the foodie cruise. Off to see what else has been posted about them on CC

You’ll see there are a few of us in the Hebridean forum.  I know some don’t consider Hebridean Princess to be luxury, but after five cruises, I can say that the experience was more luxurious than SeaDream, which I’ve sailed three times and loved.  Hebridean is unique and once you’ve paid, everything is taken care of.  That, to me, is very luxurious.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

You’ll see there are a few of us in the Hebridean forum.  I know some don’t consider Hebridean Princess to be luxury, but after five cruises, I can say that the experience was more luxurious than SeaDream, which I’ve sailed three times and loved.  Hebridean is unique and once you’ve paid, everything is taken care of.  That, to me, is very luxurious.

SeaDream is on my list. We are extremely limited to when we can travel, Scotland would have to be one of their earliest cruises, not so sure about either, but the experience looks awesome.