Please give me the low down on why you enjoy Oceania

Lois R

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I looked at the drink package and it is very pricey (in my opinion). I would probably be better off just paying as I go.

It depends on how much  you drink  some go out well ahead  but other like me it is not worth it

We might have 2 drinks  a day  so just pay as we drink

You can view the bar menus  @

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm#Bar

18% tax/grats is added to the price shown

3 minutes ago, pna said:

Speaking of drinks....is there a menu anywhere with drink prices so I can decide if we should upgrade to Prestige?

Click on the link above (the one above yours)..……..there is a full drink menu on there with prices too.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Yes, congratulations to you:classic_smile:....and no, that is not what I am looking for...…….:classic_wink:.

I looked at the drink package and it is very pricey (in my opinion). I would probably be better off just paying as I go.

Not at all pricey for folks who drink premium booze with a decent pour.

For example: The best anejo and reposado tequilas onboard run about $15/shot. So a double would retail at $30 + 18% tip. Want that as a Margarita with Cointreau and, of course, fresh squeezed lime? Unless the bartender "does you a solid," the retail price of two doubles like that top shelf margarita (plus 18% tip) could easily far exceed the $60 (including 18% tip) you paid for the Prestige package. And we haven't even figured in wine-by-the-glass.

Moral of the story: drink good booze! 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not at all pricey for folks who drink premium booze with a decent pour.

For example: The best anejo and reposado tequilas onboard run about $15/shot. So a double would retail at $30 + 18% tip. Want that as a Margarita with Cointreau and, of course, fresh squeezed lime? Unless the bartender "does you a solid," the retail price of two doubles like that top shelf margarita (plus 18% tip) could easily far exceed the $60 (including 18% tip) you paid for the Prestige package. And we haven't even figured in wine-by-the-glass.

Moral of the story: drink good booze! 

I thought I saw it said it is about 60.00 per person per day...…..I guess what is pricey to you and what is pricey to me

is a different.  I don't spend 600.00 on booze on any of my cruises. 

That is why I said I would probably be better off just paying as I go.

I can’t speak as a Single but we have had several single friends travel with us and they met guests who have become very good friends. Be willing to Share your dining table, be it in the Grand Dining Room, or any of the 2-4 Premium Restaurants. We just got off 30 days on Riviera, Southampton to NYC, wonderful, and one of our friends traveled as a Single. 
Try out the Artists Loft, Noel Suarez may be the artist on board and he is from Miami and very good at helping you create a frame able painting, whether you consider yourself artistic or not. You MUST DINE IN RED GINGER. OUTSTANDING! Country Club Casual is a blessing, NO FORMAL NIGHTS! Join the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your cruise and start meeting people before the cruise and possibly join some small group tours. The staff thrives on your interest and chatter with them. They can be amazing and we are still in touch with many of them. Met a Sommelier in Toscana this past trip that we initially met on her first cruise contract 6 years ago, she called us by name and we remembered Sean instantly. 😁
For a first timer, Riviera and Marina and its Premiums, enhanced services and staff would be great, 1250 pax max. Best description, they are an Oceania R Class ship on Steroids, luxurious but an intimate feeling. If you enjoy cooking, the Culinary Center is great fun, hands on with the chef and small group of guests, and you eat your creations. The other ships are also excellent with max 684 pax. 
We always meet the Oceania Club Ambassador, aka future cruise guru. Oceania is different than other lines, the BEST price is sold on board, discount given and the Best Price Guarantee with a reduced Deposit along with an extra $100 SBC added to your current cruise. 
Enjoy, 

Gerry and Bonnie, 20 O cruises

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I thought I saw it said it is about 60.00 per person per day...…..I guess what is pricey to you and what is pricey to me

Been to a decent bar in any cosmopolitan location lately? $15+ tip is cheap for good booze.

In any case, remember that the Prestige $60/day includes the 18% tip - making the booze itself cost $50. Two decent double (approx 2 oz) drinks with premium boozes and a couple of the better wine-by-the-glass selections with meal(s) and you're way ahead of the game.

But, if you drink the well swill in a single weak drink and imbibe only on the odd numbered days, then Prestige is probably not for you.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Been to a decent bar in any cosmopolitan location lately? $15+ tip is cheap for good booze.

In any case, remember that the Prestige $60/day includes the 18% tip - making the booze itself cost $50. Two decent double (approx 2 oz) drinks with premium boozes and/or the better wine-by-the-glass selections per day and you're ahead of the game.

But, if you drink the well swill in a single weak drink and imbibe only on the odd numbered days, then Prestige is probably not for you.

I wasn't  trying to get into an argument with you about it. And there are days I am not in the mood

and don't drink at all. Just depends really.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Do the math then do what works best for YOU

We are among those to don't find the package worth it.  Firstly, DH doesn't drink ... maybe a sip of my wine at dinner but not much else.  So we bring on some wine and vodka for consumption in the room.  We tend NOT to go to the bars, unless someone else has invited us to join them.  We'd never spend $60/day, let alone $60pp.  So for us, pay as you go is clearly what we want to do.

For people who want wine or beer at lunch, cocktails before dinner, wine with dinner and maybe a post-dinner drinki... then it does make sense.  Just do the calculation for yourself whether it's worth it or not.

Note that you do NOT have to have the package every day of your cruise, but once you sign up for it you will have to pay for it til the end.  You can start late, but then must continue to the end of the cruise.  It can depend on the length of the cruise and WHERE you are cruising as to whether it's worth it as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I totally agree with you.  And I drink every day 🙂  But I can carry on spirits for pre-dinner cocktails in our cabin and wine that I can carry to the dining room with a $25 corkage.  To each her own but not for me.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I wasn't  trying to get into an argument with you about it. And there are days I am not in the mood

and don't drink at all. Just depends really.

No argument. Just sharing some of the info about when the package works and when it doesn't.

Because we usually bring (and replenish) our own wine and usually do relatively long cruises of 3-5 weeks, we rarely do the package anymore. The combo of invited events with free booze, the long itinerary (can't do daily drinking on that many days), happy hours twofers, "bin end" sales and appreciative bar personnel, as well as a reasonable bank of SBC, often ends up our better deal.

BTW, unlike many other cruise lines, both folks in a cabin do not have to purchase desire packages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Personal choice.  Thinking back on my last 3 cruises----I didn't sign for anything so I guess that part was giving me

food for thought.

That is why Oceania may be a better fit for you.

On those previous cruises, you were paying for the privilege of "not signing".

On Oceania you may choose which extras you wish to pay for and which you don't.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Personal choice.  Thinking back on my last 3 cruises----I didn't sign for anything so I guess that part was giving me

food for thought.

It is really not  a big  deal

when you finish your drink  they ask for your card

then they bring you a chit  in a folder

sign your name & take your card/copy 

Painless 😉

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

That is why Oceania may be a better fit for you.

On those previous cruises, you were paying for the privilege of "not signing".

On Oceania you may choose which extras you wish to pay for and which you don't.

Well, you are partially correct though my river cruise was much less money and all my drinks were included.

As for the fit, I guess I would have to try it to find out😁

@pna- No signature required with the prestige package. The waiter or bartender scans your card and that's it. I don't know how tips for that method are distributed. We usually give one or more of the bartenders in Martinis a cash tip at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Well, you are partially correct though my river cruise was much less money and all my drinks were included.

As for the fit, I guess I would have to try it to find out😁

If River Cruises are your only comparison-

Well, there really is no comparison.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

If River Cruises are your only comparison-

Well, there really is no comparison.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

They are not my only comparison. I have been cruising for nearly 20 years so I know all about ocean cruising and river cruising.

I was just commenting on my most recent cruise with UNIWORLD...…..it is all inclusive.

OK.....some of you like the packages and some prefer to pay as you go. 

Thank you all.

59 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

ALL your drinks, including unlimited "top shelf" premium booze like Gunpowder gin, El Tesoro anejo tequila???

That would be quite a good deal - almost unbelievable!

I don't do Tequilla so I am not sure what was offered...…...but everything I wanted was included...…..I enjoy after dinner drinks....

Bailey's,  Grand Marnier, etc...etc...were all included.  And yes, many choices of wines as well.

Believe I never paid extra for any drinks.  Of course if you wanted Dom, I do believe that is extra...….or maybe something I have not heard of in the Wine Category but everything I wanted was included.

On port intensive cruises where you are only on the ship for two lunches out of ten, that drinks package makes less sense for more people.  That's how I'm feeling about our first cruise with Oceania.  The drinks prices are also pretty high compared to other cruise lines (very high on beer), so you need to just write that off to the cost of cruising with Oceania.  For us, it makes sense to bring on some really nice bottles of wine and suck up the $25 corkage charges.  It is nice that they don't charge for soda, bottled water, or the specialty coffees.  Including WIFI also alleviates another charge and headaches as well and most good TAs will get gratuities included.  I also like the fact that two nights in specialty restaurants are included.  It would be nice if they had Chef's Tables, but I looked and couldn't find that option.

We were very happy on our Azamara cruise and most people on board told us that if we'd like Oceania because the lines and experiences are pretty similar.  I know the loyalists have strong preferences, but we mainly cruise these smaller ships for the ports.  I feel good about our booking, but do have to figure out drinks thing.