Lois R

Good morning, thinking of giving Oceania out for a March cruise

to the Caribbean for a birthday trip.  I was a Celebrity cruise for

many, many years. More recently, I have moved on and my more

current cruises (say since 2016) have been 2 on Silversea,

1 on Azamara and 2 river cruises.  I also have 2 more booked

on Silversea.

There is a cruise on Riviera for 10 nights in March that looks

good  and there is a Single Supplement special as well.

So, from you Oceania regulars, can give me the low down on

why you enjoy their product and what they can offer me as a

solo cruiser?

Thank you!

Food, staff, and fellow passengers are fantastic.  Shows middling.  On board activities very good.  Excursions worthwhile whether private with other CC members or the expensive Oceania ones.  Try the cruise and rate for yourself. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, thinking of giving Oceania out for a March cruise

to the Caribbean for a birthday trip.  I was a Celebrity cruise for

many, many years. More recently, I have moved on and my more

current cruises (say since 2016) have been 2 on Silversea,

1 on Azamara and 2 river cruises.  I also have 2 more booked

on Silversea.

There is a cruise on Riviera for 10 nights in March that looks

good  and there is a Single Supplement special as well.

So, from you Oceania regulars, can give me the low down on

why you enjoy their product and what they can offer me as a

solo cruiser?

Thank you!

Your question has been asked and answered here many many times. So, you may want to peruse those threads that most interest you to evaluate "the fit."

Suffice to say that Oceania caters to a primarily adult, cosmopolitan and professionally successful demographic whose members have worked hard for their money and know value when they see it.

• Like 2

We just returned from our first O cruise a few weeks ago and I posted a brief review noting that O is now our new favorite cruise line.  It's not perfect, but it manages to hit most of our hot buttons of what we want in a cruise.

• Like 2

Size of ships, excellent food (and great accommodation of DH's cardiac diet), included specialty restaurants & coffee drinks, lack of formal nights, port intensive itineraries, good port lecturers, fantastic staff.

From our 1st Oceania cruise in 2004, it became our favorite cruise line. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Small ships, refined ambiance, great food & service, tasteful decor, wonderful beds, no photographers, no art auctions, very few announcements.

That and NO FORMAL NIGHTS - unlike those on Silversea 😀

• Like 3

Hello Lois,

I remember you from long ago on the CC "slamo" thread in the floataway lounge. Hope you are well.

Wondering how many cruises you've taken since those days, and guessing a LOT.

In the Floatway lounge I was a Celebrity diehard, but in 2006 did an O Mediterranean, left X and never looked back.

(Not 100% true, did a few more on X due to Itinerary.)

O's sleek elegance,  outstanding dining/service and engaging and unpretentious fellow passengers make it perfect for me. I love that the ships are small enough that cruising on the water actually means cruising on the water- small ships. Sailing with a full ship never feels crowded. O is weak on entertainment which is fine for us as we're readers.

Hope you decide to give O a whirl. Best wishes.

Nancy

• Like 4

They do have get together for single passengers and I think the social hostess organizes a dinner or lunch for single travellers. A lot of single passengers play Baggo Bean, golf challenges, table tennis and other activities where everyone is welcoming.  Everyone cheers everyone else on and groans when the motion of the ocean goes against you.  I have done several of these activities on my own as my spouse likes to go to the guest lecturer talks and have always been included by all.  For the specialty restaurants, you share a table and it is an excellent way to meet fellow passengers.  Same idea for GDR.
Most of the passengers are well travelled so you can have some very interesting conversations at the table.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, Petoonya said:

unpretentious fellow passengers

I like that I can have a cheap room that is well maintained with great cabin crew and eat with those in the highest price cabins at a share table (our choice and theirs to share!) We have met some fascinating people on our cruises.

• Like 3

Five star hotel at sea.  Be as active as you wish.  Other passengers tend to be well educated, well travelled and well mannered. Staff are outstanding.  Food is wonderful, with lots of options for all.  Port intensive cruises offer opportunity to explore many new destinations in a short period of time.

• Like 2

The food is well prepared and delicious. I love grill in the Terrace especially the lobster tails and the lamb. The burgers at Waves are terrific and I also like the milkshakes. Polo serves a lobster bisque that is the best I have ever tasted. I also like the the menu very much at Jacques, I especially recommend  the dover sole. I enjoyed dining in all 4 specialty restaurants on the Riviera last year and by far the food in the dining room was also a step above Celebrity, the other cruise line I have sailed on. I also like the level of hospitality from the staff and although I like children, it is nice to have a cruise line that mostly caters to adults. 

• Like 2

Thank everyone for the replies.  I had called O about a cabin but didn't book yet.  I should have asked this at

the start, are any alcoholic beverages included in the cruise? The gal on the phone told me only PH suites and above?

So a regular balcony you still sign for drinks?

59 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thank everyone for the replies.  I had called O about a cabin but didn't book yet.  I should have asked this at

the start, are any alcoholic beverages included in the cruise? The gal on the phone told me only PH suites and above?

This is the problem with calling in and talking to a CS rep. They were wrong. You get a bar set up in Oceania, Vista, and Owners suites. None in a PH. Even in those suites you pay for anything elsewhere around the ship. 

You can always buy a drink package. Anything without alcohol is included at no extra charge. 

Orv on wife’s acct. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

At concierge verandah you get a bottle of Champagne which people here say you can ask them to swap for something (not anything!) else.  And you can carry on as much of anything that you want...for consumption in your cabin.

• Like 1

Rather than book directly with Oceania,  I recommend finding a Travel Agent who books a significant number of Oceania cruises. 

In addition to good service, you may get gratuities paid, refundable OBC, rebates, or other perks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andee said:

Rather than book directly with Oceania,  I recommend finding a Travel Agent who books a significant number of Oceania cruises. 

In addition to good service, you may get gratuities paid, refundable OBC, rebates, or other perks.

Agree 100%. A good TA will add perks and provide a rebate. Here’s a link to O’s website that may be helpful to find an Oceania “connoisseur club” agent (these are the agents that book lots of O cruises): https://www.oceaniacruises.com/find-agent/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Here’s a link to O’s website that may be helpful to find an Oceania “connoisseur club” agent (these are the agents that book lots of O cruises): https://www.oceaniacruises.com/find-agent/

the link only list International Countries    am I missing something??