1st Time Mediterannean

LittleJRC

I have heard rumblings that there may be a cruise port change for Venice, Italy.  I am hesitating to book my flight because of this.

Has anyone heard anything?  Sad that they are flooded at this point.  We are on the Celebrity Constellation for October 2020.

I hope this is a subject that is allowed on this forum. Thanks.

Edited by LittleJRC
spelling

You'd likely get more answers on the Celebrity forum, since that is the line you are sailing on.

Having said that, eventually Venice will ban all large cruise ships, but they first have to get their act together, stop talking about it, and actually DO something. But that will inevitably be delayed multiple times due to bureaucracy, inertia, and construction delays at the mainland alternative. Certainly not happening in the next year.

I wouldn't be in a big rush to book flights this far out.

Well, this is typically the time of year when Venice is semi-flooded at high tide.  They have platforms that they set up to walk around some of the squares at high tide.  My guess is that they will be fine once the November tides subside.  It is a matter of time until Venice has to really deal with not only cruise ships but the fact that the city is slowly sinking.  That is a ways off, though ultimately they have the problem of rising sea levels as well, but that too is likely decades in the future before it is a critical issue.  They should likely start to deal with these in a realtime manner soon however.  Only the U.S. seems to want to wait  until we are beyond the tipping point before we do anything!

It might be climate change but the water in Venice hasnot been that high since 50 years and unfortunately to coming days  more is coming. Lots of rain and wind that brings water from the bay into the city.

However to be sure where you ship will dock contact Celebrity , they can tell you more!

Yes, unfortunately Venice is currently experiencing historic flooding with even more expected. I am very concerned about damage to historical structures and works of art exposed to the excess humidity.

I can't imagine that Venice would be omitted from your cruise - possibly a change in the docking location. You should still be able to easily visit Venice even if your docking location changes. Many people stay on the mainland (Mestre) and take the train into Venice - the train ride into Venice takes less than 10 minutes and costs less than 5 euros. No big deal. Taxi and bus are also options.

There has been talk about changing to VCE docking location for several years - nothing has yet been done.

Edited by dogs4fun

We are on a Costa Cruise world cruise leaving from Venice on January 5.  We have been following the news.  Last week the ship could not dock in Venice and instead went to Trieste .  I thought maybe we could just hop on when the ship was able to pull up to the hotel steps 🙂

I assume they provided transportation back to Venice.

I do hope that Venice bans the large cruise ships. The damn ships look out of place.  There is another port on the mainland nearby and they could enhance it and bring people by bus into Venice that way.

This is a problem that Venice has for years and it looks like it is getting worse every year. For me, I am not worried about the fact that they could ban cruise ships from Venice forever. But all the history and art that might get lost and never to be seen again. very sad.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

you mean you are starting your cruise in Venice? Or is it a stop on your trip? 

Anyway, your trip is still far away, so you could wait with booking your flight. And you are not in the peak season so booking a little later should not be a problem. Or maybe you can book a flight with no or low cancellation fee?

On 11/16/2019 at 8:11 PM, LittleJRC said:

I have heard rumblings that there may be a cruise port change for Venice, Italy.  I am hesitating to book my flight because of this.

Has anyone heard anything?  Sad that they are flooded at this point.  We are on the Celebrity Constellation for October 2020.

I hope this is a subject that is allowed on this forum. Thanks.

The Venice government has been proposing to change cruise ship docking away from the Venice lagoon for several years.  Nothing has actually been done and nothing is likely to actually change for several more years.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to CC, I think the threads here are worth a read:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

But again a lot can happen in a year, fall is of course known historically for flooding, the good won't be to crowded the bad the weather history.

LittleJRC...Welcome to Cruise Critic.  A lot of good advice already.

Sigh...just fond memories of my first visit to Venice over 40 years ago...fell in love with this wonderful and magical place.  If it's your first time, I hope you'll experience it the same way I did...perhaps you can wake up early one morning and walk the narrow streets and bridges while it's still empty.  St. Mark's Square is breathtaking when it's just you and a few thousand pigeons in the middle of the square.  Happy Sailing!