Royal or give MSC a try ?

trump

All the comments about YC are interesting but just wanted to point out that Magnifica is a smaller ship and doesn't have one. We sailed in a standard Fantastica balcony and still enjoyed it. 

I've just found the link to the live review I did while onboard last year which may be helpful.

@trump hope you let us know what you decide.

9 hours ago, little britain said:

A review for those thinking of trying Msc in Europe by a RCI loyalist

I just got done reading your review @little britain. It reminded me of my experience. I went back and looked at my picture album from that cruise and noticed that is shockingly lacking in picture from on the ship.  My conclusion is that nothing excited me enough to take the shot which is odd for me.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 1

Variety is the spice of life

Would you stay in one home for life?

Would you stay in one job for life?

Would you go to one vacation destination for life?

Would you just eat Rum and Raisin Ice Cream when there are other varieties available? The answer to this is yes, by the way 😉

I know many of us have asked ourselves this question about different cruise lines, but the more pertinent questions should always be:

Large ship vs. Medium sized ship

New ship vs. Older ship

Perks vs. No perks

Higher grade of cabin vs. Lower grade of cabin

On 11/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, George C said:

Yes I am msc highest level because of matching my rccl, I also got a ten percent discount for being a veteran on msc, rccl gives me nothing for that. 

Have you tried getting a discount via other means? In that I mean, in Britain Armed Forces Veterans and emergency services can apply for a 'Bluelight Card' which entitles each holder to 10% (not including and C&A discount too), so as I'm a veteran like you, and my wife is classed as an Emergency services worker we can combine all 3 discounts when booking!

Surely in the US you guys have something similar?

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

On 11/18/2019 at 12:47 AM, Tapi said:

The first time we sailed on MSC, we did the Fantástica Experience. It was good. I considered that cruise to be one notch above Carnival and one notch below Royal. I wouldn’t call it disappointing, just not memorable. 

For our second MSC Cruise (the one that I referenced on my previous post), we had the option of doing a smaller stateroom in the Yacht Club or doing a bigger Aurea suite with no Yacht Club benefits. Since we were traveling as a family, we went with the bigger Aurea suite and it was the absolute right decision. While we didn’t have Yacht Club perks, the Aurea experience was great, and it delivered an absolutely memorable cruise. The list of perks wasn’t as extensive, but it was still a pretty generous list. And in any case, it was hard to complain when I was paying a fraction of what Royal would’ve charged for similar accommodations. 

So while the Yacht Club consistently gets great reviews, it’s not the only way to enjoy an MSC Cruise. 

Totally agree with this. We have only sailed once on MSC and the Aurea experience was great for us for 2 main reasons - Anytime Dining and a dedicated sundeck, both of which mean we would always choose at least Aurea again. The drinks package was pretty good too, although it's since been downgraded somewhat.

As for food and service - we didn't find the service to be greatly worse than RC, in fact we had a wonderful table and waiter in the dining room who I'm still in touch with, one of the best we've had. Food was sometimes better, sometimes worse than RC, we liked the meals themed around different regions and offering something a bit different from the same old same old menus on RC. Fish was hit and miss as to whether it was overcooked (but same happens on RC), there was a lot of pork and the beef is definitely inferior to RC - but then it's not an American line with their obsession with steaks and cuts of beef. The pasta dishes were great. We chose MSC for the unique itinerary - Venice to Durban - but wouldn't hesitate to sail with them again, but would probably only choose Aurea. Would be nice to try Yacht Club but the prices seem to be spiralling.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:53 AM, L454S said:

A couple years ago we had a similar experience as the OP. We wanted to make a New Years Caribbean sailing and tried with RCI. A balcony cabin was right at double the price on the Navigator as the new (at the time) MSC Divina.

We went on the Divina and enjoyed it very much. In fact, we got off the Divina(Miami) grabbed our luggage and walked next door and boarded the Navigator for their next sailing. It was a good way to compare.

Had aft balconies on both, 10254 on the Divina and 7388 on Navigator.

Bottom line....I would not hesitate to book the MSC sailing for that amount of savings.

Just snagged 3 aft balconies on the Divina for Fantastica experience fare of $149 pp!! So excited!

This thread has enforced my excitement for our sailing!! I can't wait to try MSC and experience it all for myself.

No offense intended for anyone that has had a not wonderful experience with MSC but I have read so many reviews of mixed experiences and have dealt with it first hand when comparing days in port with tablemates...they had the worst day ever, horrible service, and awful food...and we had one of the BEST days ever! Great food. Great service. So I have quickly learned that regarding the experiences of others, there is a HUGE variance in opinion with interaction with the same product. I am often reminded of the parable of the group of blind men that are describing an elephant based on what they are feeling...and how you get completely different views of the elephant depending on whether they touched the trunk, the ears, the tail, the stout legs, the belly.

This thread just confirms for me that taking an MSC ship from the US is probably a lot like taking a Royal ship in the Mediterranean. It's a product that US is familiar with and so we go there and experience over there through a familiar delivery system...feels like non-Americans do the same thing with the MSC product. Can't wait!!

5 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

Have you tried getting a discount via other means? In that I mean, in Britain Armed Forces Veterans and emergency services can apply for a 'Bluelight Card' which entitles each holder to 10% (not including and C&A discount too), so as I'm a veteran like you, and my wife is classed as an Emergency services worker we can combine all 3 discounts when booking!

Surely in the US you guys have something similar?

Not aware of anything like “blue light” here. On msc my matching status gives me a 5 percent discount but I cannot use that plus my ten percent off for being a veteran. Sounds like you have a good deal 😀, does seem more stores etc are now giving veterans discounts here. 

3 hours ago, Bobal said:

Would be nice to try Yacht Club but the prices seem to be spiralling.

We booked YC on the new SeaShore for just over £4000 for 2 including tips and all the associated YC goodies.

It is only 'once around the Med' but doing it to see what YC is like.

I think we paid close on that price for a humble JS on Symphony doing 'once around the Med' last year!!!

Compared to what RCI want for their full suites these days, I think this is a steal!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

This thread just confirms for me that taking an MSC ship from the US is probably a lot like taking a Royal ship in the Mediterranean. It's a product that US is familiar with and so we go there and experience over there through a familiar delivery system...feels like non-Americans do the same thing with the MSC product. Can't wait!!

Actually taking a Royal ship in the Med - or anywhere else in the world - is exactly the same product-wise. They don't even do much to adjust the food - nothing in the main dining room and perhaps a nod to the region in the Windjammer if you're lucky. The main difference will be in the demographic in that whichever region you sail from will likely have more people from that region (Europe, Australia etc) onboard.

You sound like you have a positive attitude so am sure you will enjoy it. The cruise we took had only 2 people from the US on the whole ship and they loved it and were happy to embrace the new experience.