Egg Drop Contest

Host CJSKIDS

Okay, taking my first cruise with my dad and this is something we can do together. We made a raft once while staying our our boat in Cuttyhunk so it’s a great memory and I thought we could figure this out. (Okay it sunk!  Lol) 

After 26 Princess cruises I have never even seen this! 

Does Princess supply you with things or so you bring things? 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

26 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Does Princess supply you with things or so you bring things? 

I’ve seen it both ways recently.  On the Regal, they supplied you with things...and you could only use what they gave you.  On the Grand, you could use pretty much whatever you wanted.  

If you can bring anything you want, then bring foil.  LOTS of foil.  Not the heavy duty kind.  Wrap the egg tightly at first, at least an inch or so thick, then get it "looser" as you continue.  I did this in my physics class in my junior year in HS.  :classic_wink:  We had to fit in in a 6"x6" box.  

My egg did not break.  I was one of 2... out of 50+.  :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

I did it on the Caribbean Princess. My egg did not survive. On the Island Princess, I got to be a judge for the egg drop contest. They did it differently on that ship: a score for accuracy in hitting the target plus the scores from me and two other passenger judges. Most of the contraptions were things scavenged from around the ship. My favorite vessel looked like a Moravian star.

• Like 1

I have had fun coming up with new ways to protect the egg or just have fun. On the Coral last year the contest required you to have a team name. Mine was SPLAT! put the raw egg in a doubled up baggy and dropped it.

Did this on the star with a small box and a piece of pantyhose. Even though the crew member dropped it the wrong way (he dropped it on an edge of the step) egg didn't break.

The better contest if they have it is the scrap heap challenge. At one time you had to carry a case of beer across the pool. Now I think it is a six pack of soda. Usually only done on a longer cruise.

img_1724.jpg

43 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I have had fun coming up with new ways to protect the egg or just have fun. On the Coral last year the contest required you to have a team name. Mine was SPLAT! put the raw egg in a doubled up baggy and dropped it.

Did this on the star with a small box and a piece of pantyhose. Even though the crew member dropped it the wrong way (he dropped it on an edge of the step) egg didn't break.

The better contest if they have it is the scrap heap challenge. At one time you had to carry a case of beer across the pool. Now I think it is a six pack of soda. Usually only done on a longer cruise.

img_1724.jpg

that looks like a fun day1

5 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

that looks like a fun day1

We had fun planning and working this one for over three weeks. Sometimes we couldn't get anything done we were laughing so hard. The hull is actually completely made from cardboard with a water bottle frame. Used a piece of plastic from a trash bag taped to the bottom to keep the bottom from soaking through. Rules are the part used to float the beer needs to be made from scrap and it was. One of the member of our team was very creative and made the pirate shirts from 2 dollar tee shirts she found in a port. She also came up with the design for the twenty cannons using wine corks and washers. You can't see it in the picture, but the captain was a pirate bobble head doll. He still sits on my backyard surf bar at home. The whole thing was over 7 foot long when we were done. Had to set it on its end to get around corners.

In the end, one judge gave us a zero as she said she though the ship was bought. We luckily won by one vote. The staff member running the whole thing actually came over to us and insisted on seeing the inside as some of the teams were complaining we had not built it. After seeing the inside, he turned to the other teams and told them we were good. Turned out the judge giving us a zero was the wife of another team member.

After that, I made simpler versions like below. My son actually got in it and paddle across the pool when we were done. As always, you have to have a theme. This was from a cruise to Norway.

P8090893 - Copy.JPG

P8090898.JPG

P8090905.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, katisdale said:

One of the best laughs we had watching one of these competitions was when a man used his wife's undies to pad the egg. He was glad it didn't break so he didn't have to tell her what he used to win a bottle of champagne.

Wow. The the prizes to all the winners have been reduced to coasters, wine stoppers & bags lately.

I participated in an egg drop on a Princess cruise. There were about twenty entrants but only two of these participants successfully dropped an egg which did not break, mine and another guy.  The tie breaker was done and my egg received about three times the volume of applause than the other guys.   I got the idea from "conkers" the fruit of the Aesculus Hippocastanum tree which fall in a spiky husk then on falling from the tree are cushioned and the conkers are generally unharmed even if they come free.  Basically I acquired as large and ripe a melon I could get and cut it in half.  Hollowed out a void the size and shape of an egg.  At the start line I kept it hidden in a carrier bag and when given the egg put it into the void and sellotaped the two halves back together.  I went last and got the melon out and simply dropped it.  It made an unholy mess but the egg was intact with no cracks. I think the crowd appreciated the mess as some got too close which amused people.  Americans seem to still like  slap-stick to some extent.  Later on in the cruise one or two people identified me and called me "Melon Guy".

Regards John

Edited by john watson

3 hours ago, john watson said:

I participated in an egg drop on a Princess cruise. There were about twenty entrants but only two of these participants successfully dropped an egg which did not break, mine and another guy.  The tie breaker was done and my egg received about three times the volume of applause than the other guys.   I got the idea from "conkers" the fruit of the Aesculus Hippocastanum tree which fall in a spiky husk then on falling from the tree are cushioned and the conkers are generally unharmed even if they come free.  Basically I acquired as large and ripe a melon I could get and cut it in half.  Hollowed out a void the size and shape of an egg.  At the start line I kept it hidden in a carrier bag and when given the egg put it into the void and sellotaped the two halves back together.  I went last and got the melon out and simply dropped it.  It made an unholy mess but the egg was intact with no cracks. I think the crowd appreciated the mess as some got too close which amused people.  Americans seem to still like  slap-stick to some extent.  Later on in the cruise one or two people identified me and called me "Melon Guy".

Regards John

Love it Melon Guy!

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

What was your prize for winning?

1 hour ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

What was your prize for winning?

I cannot remember what the prize was, it would not have been much.   The accolade of being thought of as a genius to a complete and utter idiot I suppose.   Has anyone else participated in Princess'  "Elevator Roulette" that sounded interesting.

Regards John

1 minute ago, john watson said:

I cannot remember what the prize was, it would not have been much.   The accolade of being thought of as a genius to a complete and utter idiot I suppose.   Has anyone else participated in Princess'  "Elevator Roulette" that sounded interesting.

Regards John

I haven't participated, though I have seen the cruisers standing at the elevators with staff doing it. I have better things to do with my time like trivia! LOL

18 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

All they do is cover up the number indicator & you pick an elevator that arrives next. Again, no great prizes.