No choosing your cabin on short cruises

cruzrbachoua

Sorry if this has been asked...I tried searching (not as good as it used to be).  I normally sail Princess but was looking for a cruise sailing out of my home port or close and was looking at a shorter cruise...think it was 4-5 days...all it offered me was whatever cabin they picked...I was not able to choose my own cabin.  I thought it a glitch seeing as it was a cruise coming up so I tried one further out ..same thing.  I asked their chat help and they said that if the cruise is a short cruise we no longer get to choose our cabin.......why?  Anyone else have this issue?  I told the chat lady well just lost a sale then if I cant pick the cabin and make sure I am where I know I would be able to sleep as I am a light sleeper. 

Those short coastal cruises are usually part of a longer repositioning (say FL to SEA) and therefore they want to leave as many options as possible for people who want to book the full cruise, at least until the cruise gets close. Happens all the time.

Check if the short cruise is the beginning (or ending) of a longer cruise. For example, is this a coastal cruise that continues on to Mexico, Florida, Hawaii---something like that. 
If so, then people on the longer cruise will be allowed to choose their cabin, and people on the short cruise will be assigned the leftover cabins. 

Princess allows you to book a cabin even if it is part of a longer journey as you all have mentioned.  I asked them if I was able to call in to HAL and book a cabin that way still told no.  Again on princess if the cabin shows sold on one of the legs I or my TA is able to call and see if it is really sold if not they can then open the cabin and allow the cabin to be sold to us.  Just seems off putting to be told that because I only wanted to do the shorter part to pair it with staying in Vancouver a couple days or even if all we wanted was to do 4 days for time restraints with vacations that I don't get to pick a cabin...just never had this on princess so I thought I would check here and see if there was a way around it...if not guess I will stick with princess where I can pick our cabin and know I will be able to sleep and near the places I want to be near. 

You just never know what the deal is on these shorter cruises, as stated most are part of longer ones and of course they want to keep cabins open for the longer cruisers.

We have taken 5 Pacific Coastal cruises on HAL and each has been a guarantee.  Since the fares are normally less, we tend to step up and book one of the "suites" (Vista, Signature, and Neptune) and thus have never gotten a "bad" cabin.  We were looking at a Spring coastal for 2020 and found that we could actually pick a SC Neptune cabin - no guarantees - which is quite unusual.  It was in a good location, so we booked it immediately (most times SCs are sold as guarantees).   A bit later the Neptunes were sold out, so we are glad we booked when we did (you can always cancell if need be).

We used to do the Pacific Coastal cruises often  until they started with you could only book a guarantee.  My husband requires a mid ship location so we stopped booking them.  This past April was a 6 day Coastal and we were allowed to pick a cabin so did.  

I totally  understand their reasoning in wanting to keep the cabins for people taking the longer cruises.  It just makes our decision easier if we can’t book a specific cabin.  

2 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

How would we be able to cancel when it states it wont give us the cabin detail until closer to departure so that would be after final payment...

Sorry I was not clear.  What I meant was that if you see a deal that works for you and if you are not 100% ready to book, go ahead and book it (lock it up) as you can always change/cancel later.  I use my FCDs (future cruise deposits) for this - works great.  Just be aware of the non-refundable fares and final payment dates.

6 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Sorry I was not clear.  What I meant was that if you see a deal that works for you and if you are not 100% ready to book, go ahead and book it (lock it up) as you can always change/cancel later.  I use my FCDs (future cruise deposits) for this - works great.  Just be aware of the non-refundable fares and final payment dates.

ok..yeah I have not even attempted to book anything because I can not pick where we will be.  I just thought it was odd.  I get wanting to make sure the longer b2b2b2b cruises have cabins...but to not even allow me to call in and pick a cabin and have it opened like princess does...just lost me.  I need to be able to pick where I will be at for various reasons so decision made I will stay with princess and await their schedule and just drive up to LA. 

As noted, this is the way it works on HAL.  HAL maximizes cabins for the pax on the longer itinerary.  HAL is not Princess, so it is unfortunate you can't pick your own cabin.   Princess has a lot of really good short cruises to choose from.  I hope you can find something with them.

33 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

As noted, this is the way it works on HAL.  HAL maximizes cabins for the pax on the longer itinerary.  HAL is not Princess, so it is unfortunate you can't pick your own cabin.   Princess has a lot of really good short cruises to choose from.  I hope you can find something with them.

It makes total sense to me why HAL saves the cabins for those on longer.

Why tie up a cabin for someone on for 2 - 5 days and block someone on for 30?  JMO though.

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

It makes total sense to me why HAL saves the cabins for those on longer.

Why tie up a cabin for someone on for 2 - 5 days and block someone on for 30?  JMO though.

I agree to having more cabins open for longer cruises, but what i dont get is why when someone wants to buy that cabin no matter the length why not give it to them...to me that seemed like poor customer service...yes it is open to book but only if you want to do 30 days...well i still work and like to have getaways when i can getaway from work so now i have to cruise on their terms.  The entire exchange with HAL left a sour taste in my mouth so thankfully there are other lines and i will use them.  I was just curious if others had this issue and perhaps knew of a workaround that i was missing not being an avid HAL cruiser....

42 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I agree to having more cabins open for longer cruises, but what i dont get is why when someone wants to buy that cabin no matter the length why not give it to them...to me that seemed like poor customer service...yes it is open to book but only if you want to do 30 days...well i still work and like to have getaways when i can getaway from work so now i have to cruise on their terms.  The entire exchange with HAL left a sour taste in my mouth so thankfully there are other lines and i will use them.  I was just curious if others had this issue and perhaps knew of a workaround that i was missing not being an avid HAL cruiser....

I understand your feeling but as one who does the longer cruises, why should my cabin be unavailable for the sake of a short cruise?

The short cruises (ie between San Diego and Vancouver or Seattle) are dirt cheap. 

The prices people pay on the longer cruises are much higher so they should have first pick IMO.  Sorry, but that’s how I feel.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

You can call and ask the rep to talk to someone in the inventory department to see if they will open it up for you. I’ve had good luck doing this. 

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

I understand your feeling but as one who does the longer cruises, why should my cabin be unavailable for the sake of a short cruise?

The short cruises (ie between San Diego and Vancouver or Seattle) are dirt cheap. 

The prices people pay on the longer cruises are much higher so they should have first pick IMO.  Sorry, but that’s how I feel.

8 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

You can call and ask the rep to talk to someone in the inventory department to see if they will open it up for you. I’ve had good luck doing this. 

So because I am not at the stage of my life where I can cruise 30 days for work or other personal reasons I should not be able to pick a cabin that i will be comfortable in?

I am not saying to take them away form the longer cruise leg BUT why not let a cabin that is not currently booked be opened up to someone who wants to book it even if on a shorter cruise?  I tried calling and was given the same answer no.  So essentially HAL is only catering to those than can sail longer cruises.  I typically book interiors so it is not like I am asking for the uber suite to be opened to me but either way my money is just as good as anyone else. 

But I did not start this thread to have this argument...I was curious if there was a workaround like there is for Princess...but I guess not.  Good for those that can sail 30+ days, one day I hope to be there too until then I sail when I can but I am no less important a customer...as I very well could have become a long time cruiser and they lost out because of their lack of wanting to help. 

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

So because I am not at the stage of my life where I can cruise 30 days for work or other personal reasons I should not be able to pick a cabin that i will be comfortable in?

I am not saying to take them away form the longer cruise leg BUT why not let a cabin that is not currently booked be opened up to someone who wants to book it even if on a shorter cruise?  I tried calling and was given the same answer no.  So essentially HAL is only catering to those than can sail longer cruises.  I typically book interiors so it is not like I am asking for the uber suite to be opened to me but either way my money is just as good as anyone else. 

But I did not start this thread to have this argument...I was curious if there was a workaround like there is for Princess...but I guess not.  Good for those that can sail 30+ days, one day I hope to be there too until then I sail when I can but I am no less important a customer...as I very well could have become a long time cruiser and they lost out because of their lack of wanting to help. 

Just last month I called in and asked the rep to specifically call inventory control about the room I wanted. I am on the short portion of a longer cruise. 

I got the room I wanted. Call again and ask them to open it up for you. They should be able to. But keep in mind they HAVE to talk to inventory control. The rep can not do it without calling. 

I’ve offered you a solution. What you choose to do with it is up to you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I was curious if there was a workaround like there is for Princess...but I guess not. 

Wait until after the final payment date and you will be able to choose from among the cabins not selected by people on the longer cruise, or who have opted to disembark in San Diego.

Edited by catl331

1 minute ago, Andi Land said:

Just last month I called in and asked the rep to specifically call inventory control about the room I wanted. I am on the short portion of a longer cruise. 

I got the room I wanted. Call again and ask them to open it up for you. They should be able to. But keep in mind they HAVE to talk to inventory control. The rep can not do it without calling. 

I’ve offered you a solution. What you choose to do with it is up to you. 

Thanks I may have my TA try again and ask the question.  I tried myself and had my TA try as well both got no.  But perhaps like Princess depends on the person you get as they can have different answers depending on the person you get on the phone. 

3rd time might work...if not...it is what it is and thanks for the tip vs making me feel not worthy because I wanted  a short cruise.

Just now, catl331 said:

Wait until after the final payment date and you will be able to choose from the cabins not selected by people on the longer cruise.

That is an option but sadly not for me...due to work issues I have to plan out my time further than that. 

It sounds like you’re a little stressed and you need a cruise!  😄  @Andi Land has offered a great solution.  Two or three thoughts come to mind:

• Don’t fully believe the people in the chat window. They don’t really know as much as a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC).  Do as Andi Land says and explain your issue directly with a PCC.
  • Not all short cruises are guaranteed bookings only.  (Again, the chat window person is wrong.)
  • The HAL online booking windows aren’t that user-friendly.  There are additional processes to actually getting to the pick-your-own room page.  (You may have already known this so apologies if you have.) I would go to a certain big box store site and see if it’s possible on their page.

We know that sometimes the HAL website can be frustrating but it’s worth giving them a try!  Sometimes things go right!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It sounds like you’re a little stressed and you need a cruise!  😄  @Andi Land has offered a great solution.  Two or three thoughts come to mind:

• Don’t fully believe the people in the chat window. They don’t really know as much as a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC).  Do as Andi Land says and explain your issue directly with a PCC.
  • Not all short cruises are guaranteed bookings only.  (Again, the chat window person is wrong.)
  • The HAL online booking windows aren’t that user-friendly.  There are additional processes to actually getting to the pick-your-own room page.  (You may have already known this so apologies if you have.) I would go to a certain big box store site and see if it’s possible on their page.

We know that sometimes the HAL website can be frustrating but it’s worth giving them a try!  Sometimes things go right!

Thanks...I will have my TA give it another try.  The cruise we had wanted to do was a guarantee only and so were a couple others I tried.  We have been on 1 HAL cruise before so I thought we would try them again as we were hoping/looking for no driving or flights...but it has been challenging. 

Yes it seems that the cruise sites are getting less user friendly...even Princess now I cant select multiple options now just 1...seems odd as our technology advances. 

There are a lot more pax booking the whole cruise rather than the shorter portion.  If HAL wants to please these pax with first choice of cabins (they are paying a lot more, on the ship for much longer, so adding more to the bottom line), it makes good sense to have the whole ship available for their booking and the "portion" bookers get what is left over.   

What is HAL supposed to do with a cabin that has been booked for, say, the 4 day portion, when pax want to book  for the whole?  Leave it empty for most of the cruise?

Kazu:  agree totally!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

Sometimes this happens as well on longer cruises like segments of a World Cruise or Grand Voyage.  I've had no choice but a guarantee for a 27-day segment of the World Cruise.  I fully understand that if I book a specific cabin for a single segment I would be depriving a full world cruiser from using that cabin.  As one who had done both full and partial grand voyages it makes perfect sense to me to give the first choices to the people doing the full voyage.

Roy

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sometimes this happens as well on longer cruises like segments of a World Cruise or Grand Voyage.  I've had no choice but a guarantee for a 27-day segment of the World Cruise.  I fully understand that if I book a specific cabin for a single segment I would be depriving a full world cruiser from using that cabin.  As one who had done both full and partial grand voyages it makes perfect sense to me to give the first choices to the people doing the full voyage.

Roy

Very concisely and well written, Roy!

2 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Good for those that can sail 30+ days, one day I hope to be there too until then I sail when I can but I am no less important a customer...

Just curious - at such time as you can book that longer cruise, and you find that you can't book the room you want because someone booked the room for the shorter cruise, how are you going to feel then?

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1