Why Norwegian’s new cruise ships will be much smaller

GA Dave

13 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Do we know if these new, smaller ships will have studio cabins?  If they don't, I will likely not be sailing on them. 

No, nothing official. I think I read in one thread that someone asked on board during a Q&A and an officer said yes. Take my memory and the third-hand account as you will. I'm crossing my fingers it's correct. While it's not the biggest market, I think the solo-travel market is only going to grow and right now NCL is pretty much the only cruise line that does it well. 

As long as there will be no race track or laser tag and the top deck is not half of the size for vibe or haven they can build what size they want. 

But I like the size of the away ships. But we will see what Leonardo brings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Will have to see how they turn out because I am not so sure it’s the size itself that matters. 

We were on Encore for Thanksgiving week in a regular balcony (no Haven or Vibe or high status).  While I had an enjoyable time and had fun at both water slides and the race track shooting range my DH didn’t share my experience or opinion.  He has basically told me he will never go on this class of ships again.   His biggest gripe?  Lack of quality top deck space.  

On the other hand he liked Symphony of the Seas which is a bigger ship quite well and doesn’t object going on Oasis ships again. 

Anyway here is a picture I took on board about Leonardo class ships.  

A24FAC0A-806F-4CE5-B750-4F3D4AD0BE40.jpeg

Edited by Cruising Latitude
  • Like 2

Thank you for posting. I'm not the biggest fan of the megaships but still appreciate them. While the Encore was nice, I did think it was slightly overwhelming. Smaller ships don't necessarily mean a downgrade. Perhaps NCL is trying to expand to new ports. While I have no issue flying to Florida or driving to New York from where I live - I honestly wouldn't mind having a smaller Norwegian vessel dock into Baltimore and I'm sure plenty of people just south of Maryland would love that as well.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to see how NCL plans to use the deck space on the Leonardo class.  We were in port a few months ago next to a similarly shaped MSC ship. 

Our favorite NCL ships have been the Escape and now the Bliss.  We love the night-life entertainment, restaurants, and the variety of cabin choices.  We have even enjoyed the tube rides (at our age!).   I don't plan to ride the go-karts on the Encore but I will enjoy the Observation Lounge and all the restaurant choices.     We do still enjoy an occasional cruise on a Jewel class ship, but they are just a little too quiet for this retired couple.

2 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

Kind of wish they would go even smaller. We are at an age when slides and all the attractions are not for us.

Then why would you sail NCL?  There are other lines that are substantially better for cruisers that don't want the attractions.  NCL is all about attractions, go karts, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Then why would you sail NCL?  There are other lines that are substantially better for cruisers that don't want the attractions.  NCL is all about attractions, go karts, etc.

That's not necessarily true. While they are emphasizing all the attractions on their newest and bigger ships, I would suggest to that commenter to go for the Jewel-class ships. Nothing wrong with those ones. My first NCL cruise was on the Gem - and that's the one that got me hooked and committed to NCL! 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Greek Boss said:

That's not necessarily true. While they are emphasizing all the attractions on their newest and bigger ships, I would suggest to that commenter to go for the Jewel-class ships. Nothing wrong with those ones. My first NCL cruise was on the Gem - and that's the one that got me hooked and committed to NCL! 

I guess my point is that if someone is "at an age" where they aren't interested in the amusement type attractions, then why not look at more refined options like Celebrity or Holland?   NCL is all about that stuff.  Why settle for a smaller, older, and less equipped ship when there are clearly lines that cater better to people like this?

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I guess my point is that if someone is "at an age" where they aren't interested in the amusement type attractions, then why not look at more refined options like Celebrity or Holland?   NCL is all about that stuff.  Why settle for a smaller, older, and less equipped ship when there are clearly lines that cater better to people like this?

Fair point. I feel like destinations and voyages really impact whether or not to sail one of those lines too. For instance, the only time I really suggest Holland America to people is if they are looking at Alaska cruises since many think they do the best job. 

50 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I wont say DH and I are "at an age" but we do not care to do the slides, go carts or laser tag. We do like both the Jewel class ships and the breakaway class. The breakaway class has lots of place to dine and we love all the entertainment (music, shows) that those ships offer. I am not so "old" i want to be in bed by 10pm. and have nothing to in the evenings.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

Because the cost more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twoznuff2 said:

NCL is all about that stuff.  Why settle for a smaller, older, and less equipped ship when there are clearly lines that cater better to people like this?

For me, it is two-bedroom suites - NCL has no competition in that space.

• Like 1

I myself enjoy the Jewel class ships but had a great time on the Epic, the Getaway and the Escape also.  For me it really depends on the itinerary.  The Caribbean more free deck space....I have sailed in suites and the Haven a few times and loved it but my thoughts are they don't need to have so many, most people (me also now) can't afford the prices and taking away ship space for the non haven passengers needs to stop.  I am hoping the new builds will be a combination of the Jewel Class and the Breakaway class....

Edited by TSUmom
  • Like 4

So here is an artist's rendition of the Leonardo class that NCL released when they announced their purchase agreement.  Looks to be a whole lot of deck space.  It will be interesting to see if that stays on the final products, how much will be "for pay" vs "free", etc.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 2

The back half of the ship looks very narrow.  I wonder if they removed all the interior rooms from that half.

The article talks about reduced size in gross tonnage but not in square feet.  I thought I read before that they were making it lighter by using more composite materials and less steel.  It is nice if they can make it "smaller" in terms of capacity but not reduce the square footage by as much and that would make it less crowded.  Improving efficiency would also reduce the number of crew members and crew space areas.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan

19 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

The back half of the ship looks very narrow.  I wonder if they removed all the interior rooms from that half.

from the rendition posted above, it looks similar to the MSC Seaside class ships. you can look at those decks plans to get an idea of how many interior rooms there is back there 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

from the rendition posted above, it looks similar to the MSC Seaside class ships. you can look at those decks plans to get an idea of how many interior rooms there is back there 

Yes, very few interior rooms and they are oriented differently than the others.

Capture2.PNG