electronic child tracking on cruise

styxfire

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I can see that. I was thinking more from the standpoint of finding someone after the connection is lost. Bluetooth range is very limited. And heavily influenced by solid materials like doors and walls. I often use Bluetooth headphones and I wear my phone in a waistband. I have lost connection before because my body was between my phone and my headphones.

Yea if you lost the connection you're basically aimlessly wandering around hoping you walk close enough to it for it to connect to then play hot/cold. Definitely a last resort type of thing. 

If you need this type of technology, maybe you should research which ships/lines offer it.  I think it is possible on the Princess ships that are medallion ready.  It is also an option on the newest MSC ships.  I had the basic bracelet on MSC Seaside, and could do many things on the many screens located around the ship.  As well as buy things and open my cabin door.  But there is another bracelet available that allows you to track people wearing it by utilizing the interactive screens around the ship.  You should ask about it on the MSC board here.  You might also pose your question on the Cruising Technology board here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/677-cruising-technology/

EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bluetooth is radio technology.  Ships are metal.  Walls, floors, ceilings, doors, etc.  SIGNIFICANTLY shorter range.

And BT is a short range system.

Tracking on board a ship is going to be problematic, unless it is some system integrated into the ship.

Communications is different.  Get wifi package.  Then you can use wifi calling/texting, or one of the MANY apps for communications, Skype, Hangouts, Messenger, Viber, IMO, Whattsapp, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 1

If its children you are wanting to keep with, put them in camp or keep them with you.  Challenged adults, keep with you.   Adults with no issues why do you need to keep up with them? If I'm with friends I'll meet you at this place at this time otherwise I don't need/want you tracking me

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

If you can't trust your child, or they are young enough to NEED tracking...you should keep them WITH you.  Common sense!

I'm not sure using technology to help monitor your children automatically means they are bad kids.  Apparently it is a bad thing to you.  I guess you never gave your kids a cell phone or expected them to call if they were late or something?  

Edited by ldubs

On 12/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, nascarcruiser said:

If its children you are wanting to keep with, put them in camp or keep them with you.  Challenged adults, keep with you.   Adults with no issues why do you need to keep up with them? If I'm with friends I'll meet you at this place at this time otherwise I don't need/want you tracking me

Not relevant to this technology question.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, NLH Arizona said:

Which cruise ships offer this?

On Disney, our kids wore a wristband. Their location could be pinpointed with accuracy. If we were picking them up at the kids club, the staff could tell us specifically where our kids were located. I don’t know however if their location could be pinpointed if they left the facilities. 

To the OP: How old are your children, and would you trust them to have a phone? One thing that we did use on our last cruise (on Carnival) to stay in touch with our kids was the texting function on the Carnival app. We gave our oldest son a phone and that way we could communicate with each other. If we dropped the kids off at the kids club, we could text with them and check if they wanted to stay longer or if they were ready to be picked up. They were not allowed to check themselves out or roam the ship unsupervised, but having the ability to communicate with them gave us a certain degree of reassurance that they were where they were supposed to be. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

On Disney, our kids wore a wristband. Their location could be pinpointed with accuracy. If we were picking them up at the kids club, the staff could tell us specifically where our kids were located. I don’t know however if their location could be pinpointed if they left the facilities. 

The location (on Disney ships) can be "pinpointed" to the extent that they can tell you which room the child is in.  Not more specific than that.  It's not able to pinpoint a child once they leave the club.

• Like 1

I have used quite a few trackers and I think the biggest issue is none of them will tell you where you are in the ship only what your position is in the sea. If there are ships that do 3D tracking it is probably because they have sensors around the ship that would be trading information to what ever wearable device the passengers have. This technology would be specific to the ship only and not interchangeable. 

• Thanks 1