How do I get a better spa (massage) discount

Hoops_Baller

We have an upcoming cruise in January on the newly refurbished Sunrise.  I would like to book a couple's massage, but trying to figure out a way to get a better deal.  Right now Carnival is offering a 10% discount to book pre-cruise, but the cheapest one is $207 plus gratuity.  I have some onboard credit to use, so I'm wondering what my chances are at getting a better deal once on board?  If I book pre-cruise, then I have to pay for it now and can't use the onboard credit.

We really aren't picky as far as times/days go.  In fact, on the port days we have no excursions planned.  We've been to the ports before and primarily going to just get away from the cold and have some fun!  Right now I see the cheapest pricing is for the days when we are in port.

Can anyone attest to getting a better deal once on board, or any other ideas on how to get a better discount.

Using a gift card from your local grocery store when they offer a financial incentive might get you an extra 10% off or discount on a tank of gas?

The AARP gift cards used to give you an automatic 10% discount because they were purchased for 90% of face value after earning points taking online informative quizzes.  That program is now defunct in that format.

There is the DriveWise program by an insurance company that people here mention in tandem with gift cards.  I do not know the details of that program.

The Spa discounts I recall seeing in the advertising flurry that arrives in the cabin each night are usually 3 services from a provided list for $139 dollars.  No couples-massages on that list.

Port days are always less expensive on ship - you also might want to look into getting a massage in one of the ports you're visiting.  Check TripAdvisor, search for the port name plus massage, or a google search.  The cruise ship also will have specials listed in the daily newspaper, however, I've never seen a couples massage offered.

If you book it now, then your OBC can be used for gratuities or other purchases. Either way ,you're likely to be out the same amount of money. Unless you have a massive OBC that you need to use up. 

I received a spa gift card in my cabin during my last cruise.  I THINK it was $35 off, may have been a little less.  I believe it said any spa service.  Our cabin steward goofed and left a whole stack of those in our cabin - each had a different person's name on it (each one was personalized), and a different amount.  I saw one for $75 off, so it may have something to do with your VIFP level?  That was only my 2nd Carnival cruise.

My wife and I have each gotten a $50 off card on our last 2 cruises. (Breeze over Halloween and Magic last week.)  We are both Gold. Unfortunately, with an 11 month old baby and a 3 year old who doesn't like being left alone at Camp Ocean, we weren't able to take advantage of them. 

They offer really good specials if you do the spa tour the first day.  I had a prebooked and paid for massage on our last cruise, with a spa discount code.  My husband ended up snagging a BETTER deal by going on the tour.

FYI, as someone who gets regular massages in the states, the cruise ship massages are an over priced rub down with an aggressive sales pitch. You can get an excellent massage in the states for 1/2 the price and twice the massage. Another tip is getting a beach massage on one of the islands, Mexico and Jamaica, massages are less than $40 an hour. No, they probably are not licensed masseuses like the states, but you get a decent massage, on a beach, listening to waves.

I agree with going to the spa raffle on embarkation day.  They usually offer really good deals at the conclusion of the raffle.

Also I scored a great deal thru the art auction of all things.  I literally left the auction and went to the spa and booked.

They run daily specials, which tend to get better later in the cruise.

Pre-booking is not required and I do not recommend it.  You can get better deals on the ship.

I agree you are likely to find good deals in the islands.  Just depends what you looking for.  

For the aggressive sales pitch, I write "I am not interested in purchasing any products" on the form they have you fill out before service.  Works well and not only on cruises, just returned from Sandals and did the same.  No sales pitches were given.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

They offer really good specials if you do the spa tour the first day.  I had a prebooked and paid for massage on our last cruise, with a spa discount code.  My husband ended up snagging a BETTER deal by going on the tour.

Good Idea.

16 hours ago, coevan said:

FYI, as someone who gets regular massages in the states, the cruise ship massages are an over priced rub down with an aggressive sales pitch. You can get an excellent massage in the states for 1/2 the price and twice the massage. Another tip is getting a beach massage on one of the islands, Mexico and Jamaica, massages are less than $40 an hour. No, they probably are not licensed masseuses like the states, but you get a decent massage, on a beach, listening to waves.

I will check into this idea as well.  We will be in Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

12 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I agree with going to the spa raffle on embarkation day.  They usually offer really good deals at the conclusion of the raffle.

Also I scored a great deal thru the art auction of all things.  I literally left the auction and went to the spa and booked.

They run daily specials, which tend to get better later in the cruise.

Pre-booking is not required and I do not recommend it.  You can get better deals on the ship.

I agree you are likely to find good deals in the islands.  Just depends what you looking for.  

👍

22 hours ago, Hoops_Baller said:

We have an upcoming cruise in January on the newly refurbished Sunrise.  I would like to book a couple's massage, but trying to figure out a way to get a better deal.  Right now Carnival is offering a 10% discount to book pre-cruise, but the cheapest one is $207 plus gratuity.  I have some onboard credit to use, so I'm wondering what my chances are at getting a better deal once on board?  If I book pre-cruise, then I have to pay for it now and can't use the onboard credit.

We really aren't picky as far as times/days go.  In fact, on the port days we have no excursions planned.  We've been to the ports before and primarily going to just get away from the cold and have some fun!  Right now I see the cheapest pricing is for the days when we are in port.

Can anyone attest to getting a better deal once on board, or any other ideas on how to get a better discount.

Usually there are excellent deals on board during port days. A lot better than 10%

Coevan - I assume you're being sarcastic 🙂  We always get sales pitches - follow on vacations, photos, spa products, etc.  Sandals employees are always great about it (one "no thank  you" works), but sales pitches abound.  We are emerald status (just got our free week this trip), so we also have some experience with the brand.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, fabby50 said:

Sandals employees are always great about it (one "no thank  you" works), but sales pitches abound.

we have been to 4 different Sandals, never had any kind of sales pitch. What would they be pitching other than another vacation?

On 12/16/2019 at 12:43 PM, coevan said:

we have been to 4 different Sandals, never had any kind of sales pitch. What would they be pitching other than another vacation?

Often spas push purchase of the products used during your treatment or other products they think will "improve" your health/beauty.

eta: they may not push as much for men/couples

Edited by pacruise804

On 12/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, LibratPDX said:

For the absolute best deals, attend the Ladies Pamper Party (men are welcome to attend)!  At the end of the "party", they offer package deals at a much better price than is ever published.

My samples are from two separate cruises.....

LADIES PAMPER PARTY DEALS A.jpg

LADIES PAMPER PARTY DEALS B.jpg

What is all of the writing/prices on the flyers?  Did they give you a lower price when you actually showed up?  For example, the Pick and Mix Massage Special says 3 treatments for $189, but you got ALL the services for only $109??