St. Lucia & Pitons

Jilliebean28

19 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

We will be on the Crown next month visiting St Lucia.  As the ship arrives and or departs are the Pitons visible or does one need to book an excursion to get pictures of them?  TIA!

It will somewhat depend on where you're arriving From - and where you're going to next...  And even then, it will be a distant view - possibly obstructed by haze and/or clouds.

If you're coming from Martinique or Barbados, or any points north, no you will not see them on arrival or on sail up towards arrival.  

If you're arriving from South, such as Grenada or ABCs, slightly possible you'll see them as you sail up, but unlikely as the ship is generally too far from land till it makes it's positioning into port Castries. 

On departure - if you're heading south, to Grenada or ABCs, Trinidad or even to Barbados next, you'll likely sail past them on you way as the typical course is down tbe west coast and through the channel between St Lucia and St Vincent on the way to Barbados, or down the west coast then out to sea if off to Grenada or ABCs, etc.  You're a solid ways out to sea, a couple miles at least, and it will be virtually dark, or deep twilight when you go by, as sunset is 5:30 and it gets dark fast! 

If you're heading north next, nope, you won't see them at all on sail out.

If you want to see them, best bet is a trio to see then - you'll see them up close and personal, in all their glory.. 

1st image is from the beach in Soufriere.

2nd from a sunset Cruise. We're about 5 miles or so away - you'll be a lot further out on the cruise ship.. and a lot later in the evening.  

DSC_5596.JPG

DSC_5483.JPG

We have done two excursions that included the Pitons or at least a close-up view of them.  One tour was by sea, the other by land.  On the one by sea we also could get into the water if we wanted.  These were both some years ago and on other cruise lines so don't know if they're currently available on Princess.  It's the best way to view them IMHO.

• Like 1

I have cruise twice into St Lucia with both times sailing in from the northwest. It was many years ago and I don't recall the timing details, but I was on deck hoping to see them as we sailed in. We could not see them.

I must say, that they were compelling to see. So compelling that we did exactly the same excursion to see them on both cruises. We booked an all you could drink catamaran tour sailing south. We toured the volcano, then we went into a scenic cove. As we sailed south on that excursion, the Pitons were stunning as you got closer to them. They are majestic and must be seen.

One of the cruises we were with friends and my buddy has zero drinking discipline on all you could drink tours. As I recall, they opened the bar only on the return trip to port. But my buddy got clobbered. The three of us had to carry him back to the ship as he was listing badly.

We did a ship sponsored tour that was not water based and included the Pitons. They stopped somewhere we could get photos (in the background) but nothing as nice as the photos posted above by ReedPrincess.

I would do a catamaran your for sure! When we went, my mom was with us and afraid of doing that tour.

20 hours ago, reedprincess said:

If you're coming from Martinique or Barbados, or any points north, no you will not see them on arrival or on sail up towards arrival.  

If you're arriving from South, such as Grenada or ABCs, slightly possible you'll see them as you sail up, but unlikely as the ship is generally too far from land till it makes it's positioning into port Castries. 

I don't think you meant to mention Barbados here, as it is south of St. Lucia, as you correctly note later in your post.

2 hours ago, 57eric said:

I don't think you meant to mention Barbados here, as it is south of St. Lucia, as you correctly note later in your post.

Yes, i actually did mean to mention Barbados, exactly as I did, not meaning it's north of me, but strictly as in "if coming from Barbados" as the sailing path from Barbados is north into St Lucia. They head north and go through the channel between St Lucia and Martinique and enter Castries in the north 

I'm well aware that Barbados is southeast of me..by they don't sail south west  from Barbados to get here.