New Orleans Hotels to stay in before the cruise

Jfeeback

Welcome to cruise critic!

There is a category of cc entitled "North American Homeports" with a subsection entitled:  Gulf Coast Departures:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

You might want to check that out and, if you don't see an answer to your question, post it there.

Added:  There is also a New Orleans Ports of Call board that might have hotel information too:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/10-new-orleans/

Edited by capriccio

Just saw a thread on the New Orelans Ports of Call board specifically devoted to hotels in New Orleans: 

I do recommend you add to your post here (and include this on any posts on the other boards) your definition of 'not break the bank' and your travel date(s).  That will help us give you more accurate information.

Good luck!

Most "destination" cities will have HIGH prices.....but in the scheme of things, it's usually worth it.  We once booked a hotel that was "IN" Miami, but not really.....cost about $60 each way to anything.....after the 1st night, we rented a car for $29 per day....until the cruise.  We learned our lesson....cheap is not always convenient or better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

We learned our lesson....cheap is not always convenient or better.

“not always convenient of better”?  

More likely very rarely better.  There is a basic reason why something is cheap: it offers less than what you will get than if you are willing to pay for quality.

Why do you think there is a price differential between the likes of Carnival or NCL and Crystal or Seabourn?

On 12/17/2019 at 6:36 PM, cb at sea said:

Most "destination" cities will have HIGH prices.....but in the scheme of things, it's usually worth it.  We once booked a hotel that was "IN" Miami, but not really.....cost about $60 each way to anything.....after the 1st night, we rented a car for $29 per day....until the cruise.  We learned our lesson....cheap is not always convenient or better.

I found this out the hard way in my stay in Chicago. We stayed outside of the city to "save". After spending a bunch of money on a rental car, tolls, parking, not to mention our time, we should have stayed in a much nicer hotel in the city.

There are tons of nice hotels in New Orleans. You will also hear tons of different opinions depending on who you ask. Maybe at least provide some things that are important to you (price, breakfast, location, amenities). New Orleans hotels aren't known for their low prices.

• Host Kat changed the title to New Orleans Hotels to stay in before the cruise

I ditto some of the above posters concerning pricing, esp with New Orleans.

I have cruised out of New Orleans several times.  At first I would stay at hotels ( I was driving) that were at $100 or slightly below.  They were Hampton Inn, etc but a distance from the city.  I didn't want to pay a higher price and paying $25 to $ 40 a night for my car, no thanks.

But between gas on the distance, paying an arm and leg (unless you get into New Orleans very early) on parking and bus fare,etc.  It equal out to saying closer.

They know people are coming to stay for cruises and other events and the rooms are going to be higher than most cities.  I budget this and just place it as part of traveling.  I also few years back sign up for every major hotel chain program.  On some, like Hilton, between cruise and other travel, got a little status and points that helps and I don't travel but a few times a year, but it helps.

Off season of cruising, I like during the week after Thanksgiving when the rates are reasonable unless there is a NFL game that weekend.

You can do a bid process and overall many like the pick.  I had a major issue (not in New Orleans years back and refuse to use again,but that's just me)

booked the Pontchartrain in the garden district for a decent price post cruise in March. I think the price was good because its not in French Quarter however reviews are overall very positive. I guess we'll find out

I’m pretty good with New Orleans hotels. I actually get better prices there than Galveston, Fort Lauderdale, Long Beach. I use Hotwire. You’ll see a lot of my stuff in the hotels thread posted up above. If you want help with that just post your dates and I’ll see what’s available. I also have a few hotel reviews in the New Orleans section of my travel blog. I’m planning on adding 8-10 more this spring/summer.

https://saintgregtravel.com/category/port-of-departure/new-orleans/

• 3 weeks later...

We are staying right now in the Hyatt Place on Convention Center Blvd.  Rates for first weekend in June is $140 a night with hotels.com.  We really like it here:  big room, nice decor, super staff, large lounge area for delievered food, breakfast (haven't tried it; went to Two Chicks around the corner), and 24-hour cafe in the lobby.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

We are staying right now in the Hyatt Place on Convention Center Blvd.  Rates for first weekend in June is $140 a night with hotels.com.  We really like it here:  big room, nice decor, super staff, large lounge area for delievered food, breakfast (haven't tried it; went to Two Chicks around the corner), and 24-hour cafe in the lobby.

I’ll add the building two chicks is in is Fulton Place Parking Garage...the most popular off-site cruise parking facility.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, captainmayi said:

How soon do you book your hotel?  We are cruising Jan. 2021 and are just seeing our dates available.  Is it better to book in advance?

I book whenever I see a good price. I booked my hotel for my Aug 2019 cruise out of New Orleans in Dec 2018. One thing to keep in mind depending on the week of your cruise it could be a Saints playoff game if you're talking the weekend of the 10th, 17th, or 24th so I wouldn't wait until the last minute if I'm looking for something those weeks.