Flights By Celebrity -

Jim_Iain

I recently booked a flight on Flights by Celebrity for an upcoming March cruise.   This is the first time I have used them since they implemented the ability not to pay for flight until final payment.   I paid in full for the Flight an Cruise about a week prior to final payment.   It is now 87 days prior to cruise but ran into a snag.  

When I went to AA to select my seats I can find my reservation but it says call Reservations or you TA to book the flight.   Initially I called Celebrity and they confirmed everything was paid for but they could not see anything else from Choice Air so they transferred to me.  

After waiting 15 minutes I finally got an agent who looked into it for about 10 minutes and finally said they usually don't ticket the reservations until 45-60 day prior to cruise, but he could request them to immediately issue ticket.   I asked him to do this and he indicated it will take 24-48 hours.

Just a heads up for others that may see the same.  

image.thumb.png.c28dd845d7709393b46207a61de87700.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Yes, it is airline dependent.  I made reservations on Delta and was able to select my seats immediately, even though I have not yet paid for my flights nor have tickets issued.

My open-jaw round trip a) from my local airport to DTW to Lauderdale, then b) LHR back via ORD to my local airport , mid-April through early May 2020 was booked through Celebrity a few weeks ago. Outbound is on Delta, return is on United. I have not paid. I have the flight identifiers for both Delta and United, and was able to reserve my seats within about 15 minutes of the time I got the acknowledgement email from Celebrity.

And by the way, my RT is about $1100/pp for Premium Economy vs about $3300/pp if I booked directly with Delta. I have made a note to continue to avoid American Airlines if possible.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I should have also indicated that Choice Air told me they could book my seat (which is 1st Class), but until it was ticketed I couldn't access the reservation on the Airline Site.    In my case it is American Airlines which I haven't flown in a long time.   Previous flights on Delta had never been a problem but that was before this new not paying until final payment date.

I just checked and now (6 hours after call to Choice Air) They have  ticketed I can get into the reservation and manage it.

Edited by Jim_Iain

I believe seats are airline specific. I always am able to choose seats immediatly with Delta. And they do not ordinarily process tickets until about 45 days out. But when I call after payment and request the ticket, they always do. 

17 hours ago, NinaBlue22 said:

I just reserved our flights for our June cruise through Celebrity and she was able to get us seat assignments on every flight, except for one.  Maybe it varies depending on the airline?

It can be dependent on the airline, the fare class booked, and the routing (i.e. domestic, international, intra-European)

18 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

I just booked my airfare this weekend for air travel October 6 on Hawaiian Airlines, and they were able to book our seats immediately, but this was First Class.  I don’t know if it’s airline specific. 

When I booked mine, I was able to do the same.  Like you, it was also first class.   However, I also paid in full when I booked.  I wonder if that matters when looking to select your seats.

Appreciate all the comments.   It must be something they way it was booked with American Airlines.   It was weird when I booked as they had two rates (the same price) and when I looked into the details one was refundable (with $100 fee) and the other was Non-Refundable.   I couldn't figure out why anyone would book the non-refundable at the same rate so I chose the Refundable.  

Happy to report that all is good for me now and I was able to select seats, put in Known Traveler ID etc.  

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Appreciate all the comments.   It must be something they way it was booked with American Airlines.   It was weird when I booked as they had two rates (the same price) and when I looked into the details one was refundable (with $100 fee) and the other was Non-Refundable.   I couldn't figure out why anyone would book the non-refundable at the same rate so I chose the Refundable.  

Happy to report that all is good for me now and I was able to select seats, put in Known Traveler ID etc.  

It is a good deal really.  Book in advance and Refundable.  Do not pay until Final Payment date.  

I've got mere coach seats for my cruises this summer...booked with Celebrity Air on the "Refundable", payment not due until final payment date, etc.  Flights LA to Milan on Lufthansa, flights Rome back to LA on Air Canada...but booked as Brussels Air.

When I log on, I get limited information on both the Lufthansa and the Air Canada site...nothing on Brussels Air.  When I try to hit the "Select Seats" link on either, it shows me messages that say my tickets were booked elsewhere and neither will connect me to the usual seat selection process.  Lufthansa does have a note that says I can select seats within 23 hours of boarding.

In some ways, there's not a lot different from the usual...since I've found of late, on some of these carriers, that with coach seats, in order to select seats in advance of check in, there's a fee...But, what I've done in the past is to monitor the availability of seats, then judge whether it's worth it for me to pay the fee...Say aisle seats are filling up, I'll just bite the bullet, pay the fee and grab two aisle seats across from each other.  But, right now, I can't even get into that process...

22 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've got mere coach seats for my cruises this summer...booked with Celebrity Air on the "Refundable", payment not due until final payment date, etc.  Flights LA to Milan on Lufthansa, flights Rome back to LA on Air Canada...but booked as Brussels Air.

When I log on, I get limited information on both the Lufthansa and the Air Canada site...nothing on Brussels Air.  When I try to hit the "Select Seats" link on either, it shows me messages that say my tickets were booked elsewhere and neither will connect me to the usual seat selection process.  Lufthansa does have a note that says I can select seats within 23 hours of boarding.

In some ways, there's not a lot different from the usual...since I've found of late, on some of these carriers, that with coach seats, in order to select seats in advance of check in, there's a fee...But, what I've done in the past is to monitor the availability of seats, then judge whether it's worth it for me to pay the fee...Say aisle seats are filling up, I'll just bite the bullet, pay the fee and grab two aisle seats across from each other.  But, right now, I can't even get into that process...

We are going soon on AA flights that were booked through Flights by Celebrity.  On the AA site everything was under our booking confirmation/locator number.  Also info showed up under our AA loyalty numbers as well.  Seats were selected during our phone reservation with the agent from Flights by Celebrity.  All about 5 months in advance of our trip.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We are going soon on AA flights that were booked through Flights by Celebrity.  On the AA site everything was under our booking confirmation/locator number.  Also info showed up under our AA loyalty numbers as well.  Seats were selected during our phone reservation with the agent from Flights by Celebrity.  All about 5 months in advance of our trip.

Curious if you don't mind doing a trial.    I had booked on the Flights by Celebrity site and didn't use an agent - they don't offer the opportunity to book seats.   I am flying AA also in First from FLL to SJC.    When I went to my AA account the reservation showed both by searching and attached to my Loyalty number.

When I clicked on the reservation to reserve seats is when it showed that I had to complete my reservation.  When I called Flights by Celebrity they booked seats for me and offered to immediately "Ticket" my reservation.   After 12 hours I have full access to the reservation.