Early departure and subway questions

jp2746

First questions is, if we leave from New Jersey and have a 7:00 am flight out of LGA, what time should we leave?  Since that is pretty early in the morning, would we be missing traffic on the street and in the airport?

Second question is, if we stay at Hilton Newark Penn Station, how much is it to take the Path to Manhattan?  I read that it is $2.75 each way but is that to go anywhere in Manhattan or is it more if your ride is longer?  If we stay at the Fairfield near LGA, is the Path an option to get into the city?  I'm sorry to seem ignorant, but I have never been to NY and have no idea how the subway system works.  Is the subway and the Path the same transit system?  I'm so confused.  In CA they charge you more for the Sprinter if you travel further.  So, if you are on the Sprinter getting off at the sixth stop, it is more than if you are getting off at the second stop.  Is that how the subway/Path would work? 

Thanks for being patient with a newbie. 🙂 

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

First questions is, if we leave from New Jersey and have a 7:00 am flight out of LGA, what time should we leave?  Since that is pretty early in the morning, would we be missing traffic on the street and in the airport?

Second question is, if we stay at Hilton Newark Penn Station, how much is it to take the Path to Manhattan?  I read that it is $2.75 each way but is that to go anywhere in Manhattan or is it more if your ride is longer?  If we stay at the Fairfield near LGA, is the Path an option to get into the city?  I'm sorry to seem ignorant, but I have never been to NY and have no idea how the subway system works.  Is the subway and the Path the same transit system?  I'm so confused.  In CA they charge you more for the Sprinter if you travel further.  So, if you are on the Sprinter getting off at the sixth stop, it is more than if you are getting off at the second stop.  Is that how the subway/Path would work? 

Thanks for being patient with a newbie. 🙂 

I agree with the previous advice to leave at 4 am for a 7 am flight,

PATH is $2.75 per single ride regardless of where you start and end. Suggest you take a look at the PATH website to familiarize yourself with this service. https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/index.html 

PATH is the acronym for Port Authority Trans Hudson. It's a subway-like service operated by the Port Authority of NY and NJ. PATH provides service to northeastern NJ and lower and midtown Manhattan. It's independent of the NY City subway system, which is operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, or MTA. The MTA's website can be found here: http://www.mta.info/ . If you are staying near LGA you would use the (MTA) subway to get into Manhattan, not PATH.

• Like 1

From Newark Penn Station PATH can take  you directly to the World Trade Center in downtown manhattan for $2.75.  If you do a free transfer at Journal Square you can go to 33rd & 6th in Manhattan (Herald Square) which is close to the Empire State and Macy’s and within walking distance of Times Square.

From Newark Penn Station you can also take a NJ Transit train for $5.25 directly to New York Penn Station (8th Ave & 31st-33rd St) which is close to Macy’s and within walking distance of Times Square and the Empire State. 

Heres the NJ Transit map with PATH in the background - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Is there any reasonable way you could book or switch your flights to Newark Airport? Going from downtown Newark to LGA is just a huge PITA no matter what day/time when you could just fly out of EWR.