Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I hope so too, and good luck for your grandson..

Thanks Mic, I'm sure he'll love it although he is a little nervous. I might go one of the days with my daughter. Grandson was given two adult tickets for each of the three days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

That only works if you live in the Eastern suburbs. In the Western suburbs it just hangs especially if your suburb is in a valley😒

that's right it just hangs around and we have had smoke for weeks on end ..  and ash falling if the smoke isn't coming from the north its coming from the west or from the  south..  

10 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

yeah I know that but being the biggest fire fighting aircrafts you would of thought they would hire them out if it takes 2 days to get here... or at least commission some to be built  like one in every state 

2009 was the days when Russia was looking towards the West with openness. For political reasons they've found it beneficial to close off from the west since then, so the idea of them selling/leasing planes to a Western country is not going to happen in the current climate.

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

2009 was the days when Russia was looking towards the West with openness. For political reasons they've found it beneficial to close off from the west since then, so the idea of them selling/leasing planes to a Western country is not going to happen in the current climate.

the Russians are not bad people  .. if asked they would help out .. 

14 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

the Russians are not bad people  .. if asked they would help out .. 

Neither side is going to offer or ask in the current situation.

As for the government being bad people, you only have to ask the >13,000 killed in fighting in Ukraine from Russian attacks, and infrastructure destroyed and land occupied whether they are bad as one example. If another country attacked us like that, I don't think Australians would look too positively towards them.

Botany Bay terminal pales in comparison.

Edited by The_Big_M

31 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Neither side is going to offer or ask in the current situation.

As for the government being bad people, you only have to ask the >13,000 killed in fighting in Ukraine from Russian attacks, and infrastructure destroyed and land occupied whether they are bad as one example. If another country attacked us like that, I don't think Australians would look too positively towards them.

Botany Bay terminal pales in comparison.

its attitudes like that  makes this world so messed up...    so we deal with china right have you checked out there human rights  and what they have done to many  ..   I think your behind the times ..  

Air quality very bad in Melbourne today. Apparently the smoke is being blown south from NSW then looping back via a south-easterly breeze via Bass Strait. Canberra and Sydney must have been unbearable for weeks - I'm already needing ventolin. This will probably go on for months - seems the fires in eastern Victoria are so huge they'll have to burn themselves out.

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

its attitudes like that  makes this world so messed up...    so we deal with china right have you checked out there human rights  and what they have done to many  ..   I think your behind the times ..  

Well, some attitudes are messed up given what I wrote was correct. And it's weird that you defend that when making so many complaints about what potentially could happen at Botany Bay - as said that _pales_ in comparison to the destruction and damage, and killings Russia has wrought.

I'm well aware of China, not sure how that negates anything that Russia has done and continues to do.

Edited by The_Big_M

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw something on TV about a town in NSW on level 6 water restrictions. I can't remember the name of the town unfortunately but watching it I thought they are living like people in Cape Town. It is quite scary. 

Probably Mudgee, Gloucester has run out of drinking water

Edited by GUT2407
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Well, some attitudes are messed up given what I wrote was correct. And it's weird that you defend that when making so many complaints about what potentially could happen at Botany Bay - as said that _pales_ in comparison to the destruction and damage, and killings Russia has wrought.

I'm well aware of China, not sure how that negates anything that Russia has done and continues to do.

not here to debate foreign policies or what they do.  but using what Russia has done to Ukraine and im not defending what they did just using a example that china does as much and even worse , but we still do dealings with them . that was my point .. anyway this is a fires in Sydney topic .. it was a suggestion that we could ask Russia for assistance considering they have 2 of the biggest fire fighting planes 

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Air quality very bad in Melbourne today. Apparently the smoke is being blown south from NSW then looping back via a south-easterly breeze via Bass Strait. 

That's not correct according to the EPA chief environemental scientist on an ABC report today -  'Though some of the smoke has come from fires in Victoria's north-east and East Gippsland, most of it hads actually drifted across from Tasmania, EPA chief environmental scientist Andrea Hinwood said.'

There have been bad fires in Tasmania for a while too and it is not unusual for smoke to drift over to Victoria.

I'm making sure I have my Ventolin with me too. Although haven't used it today but had to on Friday. But my eyes are stinging. 

Leigh

Just now, in rod we trust said:

not here to debate foreign policies or what they do.  but using what Russia has done to Ukraine and im not defending what they did just using a example that china does as much and even worse , but we still do dealings with them . that was my point .. anyway this is a fires in Sydney topic .. it was a suggestion that we could ask Russia for assistance considering they have 2 of the biggest fire fighting planes 

And as per the original reply, that isn't going to happen.

We can ask people with much more friendly relations for assistance, which has also been only reluctantly done lately. There's no way they're bypassing the easier options in favour of that.

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The US have the largest ones now, they have the 747 supertankers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/747_Supertanker

Ha - perhaps we’ve finally found a use for the 747 fleet that Qantas is currently retiring - rip the seats out and stuck a chute underneath - I’m sure that’s all they’d need to do 😂

• Like 1