Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

wow--are there restrictions on water usage there? I guess wind would be bad, as far as spreading fires. Must be hard on people with lung/breathing issues.

We are in the Lower Mountains and are on Level 2 water restrictions. Smoke is very thick today.

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure if it is good news or bad news for Canberra, we are getting a delivery of 100,000 P2 masks. They are not 100% effective and it also means we still have the smoke for some time to come.

They are better than nothing, I've used one on a couple of days, but I recommend getting one of the P2.5/N99 masks from Amazon if you are sensitive to the smoke.

5 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

We are in the Lower Mountains and are on Level 2 water restrictions. Smoke is very thick today.

Level 2 restrictions mean:

Under the new Level 2 water restrictions:

• gardens can only be watered before 10am or after 4pm with a watering can or bucket
  • smart and drip irrigation systems may only be used for 15 minutes before 10am or after 4pm
  • the use of unattended hoses is no longer permitted
  • hosing of hard surfaces is not permitted, unless in an emergency
  • cars can only be washed with a bucket or at a commercial car wash
  • a permit is required before filling a pool of any size
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Gee are they down to 12 now, they used to have way more. So my bad,

All the RAAF Caribous have been de-comissioned. I don't know where they gone. I enjoyed flying in and working with them when I was in Borneo (Kalimantan Barat)

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It’s Sunday afternoon here in Auckland and now it’s our turn for the smoke . The sky has turned a real spooky sepia colour and what we thought were clouds is grey smoke .

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12298143

here is a couple shots from the Queens Wharf cam ,one at midday and the other at 3pm

D9AA2534-A23A-4651-967E-E731CDA91D15.thumb.jpeg.f342368b1a1d08cb05b28c964d612afe.jpeg

957F93BA-4AC6-4EC6-879F-602FCC90BDD9.thumb.jpeg.d4cd89bb84f233e26bbe8ff7e5ae327a.jpeg

That really is dramatic.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

All the RAAF Caribous have been de-comissioned. I don't know where they gone. I enjoyed flying in and working with them when I was in Borneo (Kalimantan Barat)

Scrap. They reached the end of their serviceable life.

When I was doing my nasho in 69/71 not all troops got leave at Christmas. My sig unit was based at Ingleburn and troops that didn't get leave were held for the purpose of fire fighting. It seems like this is no longer done but I'm not up to date with that. It may have been because we were close to Holsworthy base which was susceptable  to bush fire.

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

they should be getting these jets and asking for there help

https://www.smh.com.au/national/russian-offer-of-fire-jets-rejected-20091020-h6xt.html

Rod, this is a news article that is behind a pay wall and is from 21 October 2009. Not a recent offer.

Edited by By The Bay
  • Thanks 1

We have been on Level 3 Water restrictions here on the Mid North Coast for a while, looking towards level 4.

First time in my father in laws lifetime (84 years) of living on the same property running cattle that they have had  to look at getting in water, and Andy delivered a ute of feed out there this morning, first in about 40 years.

Just so sad, they are selling off some cattle on Wednesday.

We emptied our spa on our rear deck before our cruise in November, we run it on an eco system, no chlorine, so filled our tanks to water the garden, but now cant refill the spa and not looking likely in the near future.

We had smoke again today, we have had nice clear days, wind must have changed!! Can you believe the two fires in Port Macquarie are still burning, Lindfield Park and Crestwood Drive, they started in November.

1 minute ago, cheznandy said:

We have been on Level 3 Water restrictions here on the Mid North Coast for a while, looking towards level 4.

First time in my father in laws lifetime (84 years) of living on the same property running cattle that they have had  to look at getting in water, and Andy delivered a ute of feed out there this morning, first in about 40 years.

Just so sad, they are selling off some cattle on Wednesday.

We emptied our spa on our rear deck before our cruise in November, we run it on an eco system, no chlorine, so filled our tanks to water the garden, but now cant refill the spa and not looking likely in the near future.

We had smoke again today, we have had nice clear days, wind must have changed!! Can you believe the two fires in Port Macquarie are still burning, Lindfield Park and Crestwood Drive, they started in November.

I saw news about a fire burning in peat near PM. Is that still the case?

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I saw news about a fire burning in peat near PM. Is that still the case?

Yep, that's Lindfield park, peat moss still burning, it just has to burn itself out apparently, or rain,  rain is preferable!!

6 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Yep, that's Lindfield park, peat moss still burning, it just has to burn itself out apparently, or rain,  rain is preferable!!

hopefully tomorrow, we have some forecast but I am not going to hold my breath.

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Well yeah, can't have too many planes or choppers in the air at the same time, but they could have a sort of high-tech bucket brigade. Send up one wave, then while they refill or rest, send up another wave, and alternate. I am not a firefighter or an expert in fighting fires, but it seems to me that if you can drop water or retardant on areas, that would be a big help. And people on the ground can build firebreaks and save homes and people, but still having air drops of water and retardant should help.

I did watch the efforts to stop a really big fire in southern Colorado about 10 years ago. We were camping on the side of the mountains when it started, the camped on the other side when the fire jumped the ridge, and then back to the original spot again, over a 3 month period. Lots of choppers dropping water and retardant.

Lots of natural events are scary but fire scares me the most.

A problem this summer at least in Victoria is the lack of water for the water bombers, some of the places where they would normally fill up are nearly empty. I think also the smoke from the fires have prevented some aircraft from flying. 

Leigh

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Well yeah, can't have too many planes or choppers in the air at the same time, but they could have a sort of high-tech bucket brigade. Send up one wave, then while they refill or rest, send up another wave, and alternate. I am not a firefighter or an expert in fighting fires, but it seems to me that if you can drop water or retardant on areas, that would be a big help. And people on the ground can build firebreaks and save homes and people, but still having air drops of water and retardant should help.

I did watch the efforts to stop a really big fire in southern Colorado about 10 years ago. We were camping on the side of the mountains when it started, the camped on the other side when the fire jumped the ridge, and then back to the original spot again, over a 3 month period. Lots of choppers dropping water and retardant.

Lots of natural events are scary but fire scares me the most.

I was caught up in a bush fire incident in November in Perth. Cars channeled extremely around a nasty burn.

It was interesting to watch the way in the which 2 small planes and 2 helicopters coordinated their flight patterns to drop water onto the blaze.

I think they were getting water from the Canning River, flying up high and then circling down to get to their drop zone. 

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/traffic/salter-point-bushfire-causing-kwinana-freeway-traffic-chaos-ng-b881398063z

1 hour ago, SeaDog-46 said:

HMAS Adelaide is anchored in Twofold Bay at Eden.

MV Sycamore is waiting off the coast a little further north & HMAS Choules has rounded Wilsons Promontory east bound.

Last I heard HMAS Choules was returning to Mallacoota.

Leigh

9 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Rod, this is a news article that is behind a pay wall and is from 21 October 2009. Not a recent offer.

yeah I know that but being the biggest fire fighting aircrafts you would of thought they would hire them out if it takes 2 days to get here... or at least commission some to be built  like one in every state