Wine Wine WIne

Empehi

Jumping in, hoping not to hijack the thread. We have not signed up for any beverage package but contemplating it. I drink pretty much only wine, DH also enjoys regular drinks. If we get the O life beverage package, only he would upgrade to the premium package. How does the basic beverage package work during cocktail hour? 

1 minute ago, Gardendog said:

Jumping in, hoping not to hijack the thread. We have not signed up for any beverage package but contemplating it. I drink pretty much only wine, DH also enjoys regular drinks. If we get the O life beverage package, only he would upgrade to the premium package. How does the basic beverage package work during cocktail hour? 

You would pay for any drinks you ordered during cocktail hour.  You could only order your beer or wine during meals per the plan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gardendog said:

After you gave ordered they take your room card. If not in the premium package they bring you the bill to sign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

If it was me I would listen to those that have been on multiple Oceania cruises over the years. It's kind of like Don't Ask, Don't Tell. 

The daily "Currents" will often have one or more announcements during a cruise reminding folks that "personal spirits" are for cabin consumption only.

ok thanks - just don't want to have 'spirits' confiscated at embarkation - another question - I saw somewhere - likely YouTube - that we are supposed to put alcohol in carry on - but now with the limit 6 per cabin that seems like a lot of bottles to  carry around for the day until we get into our cabin.  I'm planning on only carrying on a backpack with swimsuits and essentials

32 minutes ago, LadyCoco2017 said:

ok thanks - just don't want to have 'spirits' confiscated at embarkation - another question - I saw somewhere - likely YouTube - that we are supposed to put alcohol in carry on - but now with the limit 6 per cabin that seems like a lot of bottles to  carry around for the day until we get into our cabin.  I'm planning on only carrying on a backpack with swimsuits and essentials

Get these at wineries (2, 4 or 6 bottles). They collapse for checked baggage and weigh only a few ounces. Use them for storage onboard and toss when you're done.

We fill them at the embarkation port wine shop and bungee them to our small roll-aboard handhelds that have our valuables/meds/etc

IMG_1175.JPG

On 1/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, LadyCoco2017 said:

What limit..... From experience, they let you bring on any reasonable amount of liquor  for your cabin.  This is not a mass market line...it is an adult line for adults.   Too, add  to it with wines and liquors  from ports that you stop at.... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

What limit..... From experience, they let you bring on any reasonable amount of liquor  for your cabin.  This is not a mass market line...it is an adult line for adults.   Too, add  to it with wines and liquors  from ports that you stop at.... 

Mostly correct, except for his syrupy opinion on “ an adult line for adults “! Only in his dreams is that the case, but definitely not Oceania policy. 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, joepeggy said:

How are you required to bring this wine onboard the ship?  Can you have it in your luggage or must you carry it on?

I usually carry it on but then I only bring 1-2 bottles  so not an issue

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And as much as you care to haul. Just, please obey the rules regarding consumption.

i.e. - you are free to consume your wine and liquor in your cabin or take the wine to the restaurant and pay the corkage.

Do not take wine or liquor poured in your cabin for consumption in other public spaces.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joepeggy said:

How are you required to bring this wine onboard the ship?  Can you have it in your luggage or must you carry it on?

I have wine carriers in my suitcase that stay in my suitcase. If I have a box of wine, I mark it fragile and check it with our suitcase at checkin. Never had any stolen at the dock, but might not do that at American ports with our Teamsters!

Question: Why would anyone want to walk around carrying a case of wine in their arms during check in and boarding, particularly if they board prior to the cabin being ready? Check it at the dock!

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

i.e. - you are free to consume your wine and liquor in your cabin or take the wine to the restaurant and pay the corkage.

Do not take wine or liquor poured in your cabin for consumption in other public spaces.

It's that simple.

Can you bring a bottle of liquor on board, i.e., gin or vodka?  We like to have a drink prior going to dinner while getting dressed and if we can bring a bottle of liquor we will be able to have a gin/vodka and tonic prior to dinner.  We have already purchased the wine and beer for lunch and dinner package.

2 minutes ago, joepeggy said:

Can you bring a bottle of liquor on board, i.e., gin or vodka?  We like to have a drink prior going to dinner while getting dressed and if we can bring a bottle of liquor we will be able to have a gin/vodka and tonic prior to dinner.  We have already purchased the wine and beer for lunch and dinner package.

Yes...just drink it in your cabin.

• Like 1

I have wine carriers in my suitcase that stay in my suitcase. If I have a box of wine, I mark it fragile and check it with our suitcase at checkin. Never had any stolen at the dock, but might not do that at American ports with our Teamsters!

Question: Why would anyone want to walk around carrying a case of wine in their arms during check in and boarding, particularly if they board prior to the cabin being ready? Check it at the dock!

We only took a case once, at embarkation in Miami for PC cruise. They refused it with luggage and I had to drag it through checkin. We went up to room which was not supposed to be ready yet and my intention was to leave by door. Tried the key and dumped it in the room which was completed.

This was May 2018. I think we took all bottles to dr and paid the $25 fee. In the past sometimes they would have great sales of the last few bottles. We got some fabulous wines for great prices and the sommelier was there to assist with choosing. Haven’t seen that recently. The 7 bottle packages vary and the choices are not always to our taste. Not sure I would take a case on-board again knowing I had to schlep it all the way to the room.....

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, potterhill said:

Not sure I would take a case on-board again knowing I had to schlep it all the way to the room.....

As long as the Wine is in a sealed case and there is a  baggage tag on it, the porters have always taken it from us.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:10 PM, drkitkat123 said:

I am sorry but I do not understand how it ok to bring as many bottles on board as you like (saving a lot of money), blantantly against the rules, (which may not be enforced) but then say people who walk out of their rooms with a glass of wine (which also may not be enforced) are "low rent"

Pretty simple..... liquor you bring on board is permitted to be drunk in your cabin    Thats the deal they propose to allow you to bring on board any wine / beer or liquor.    It is not blatant against the rules...    You can bring on board at any port any  additional liquor as well

It is against the rules to  bring and drink that liquor outside your cabin.   People who do so are low class  jerks who want to see what they can get away with ...anything  to  cheat the system in order to benefit them at others expense.....They spend thousands for the cruise and then want to  be total cheap skates to the max.........  Where I live  we call  them scumbags.

We have brought cases of wine onboard in Miami several times,,,,,,sealed with tape, name and cabin number written on in several places and luggage tag attached, given to porters with luggage and it has beaten us to our cabin every time (in PH)!

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Pretty simple..... liquor you bring on board is permitted to be drunk in your cabin    Thats the deal they propose to allow you to bring on board any wine / beer or liquor.    It is not blatant against the rules...    You can bring on board at any port any  additional liquor as well

It is against the rules to  bring and drink that liquor outside your cabin.   People who do so are low class  jerks who want to see what they can get away with ...anything  to  cheat the system in order to benefit them at others expense.....They spend thousands for the cruise and then want to  be total cheap skates to the max.........  Where I live  we call  them scumbags.

Not sure why this has come up again but your points obfuscate the issue:

The two rules documented are (are they both really documented?):

1. You can bring 3 bottles of liquor on board

2. Don't drink your brought on liquor outside your cabin.

I remain unclear why it's ok to ignore the first rule but call out people for breaking the second rule?

Just now, drkitkat123 said:

I remain unclear why it's ok to ignore the first rule but call out people for breaking the second rule?

keeping in mind that most people who bring liquor on board do so to save money so the cheapskate monikor could apply to breaking both rules

FF and Pinotlover and Pauchili.....

Late last year you give me ideas for reasonably priced wines to purchase at Carrefour in Papeete, because I'm a ninny of wine selector. Our cruise was canceled but we rebooked it for next year. I saved the posts and made a list of the recommendations you made.

This thread allows me to thank you all again. I'm keeping up hopes that next April will be a buying opportunity for both pre-cruise and during. All my best.

51 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

Is there  a rule in Australia  that you can bring liquor ?

The  USA  site says wine   but the unwritten rule you can bring spirits 

From O site

We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.

We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises for which we will allow up to 60 bottles per stateroom however this only applies to guests who are booked on the full world cruise or any of the variations of the full world cruise as listed below.