Wine Wine WIne

Empehi

A couple of wine questions:

1. On embarkation day ... how many bottles can be brought on board per person>

1a. Will there be wine glasses and cork screws in the rooms?

2. Can you buy wine at the different ports and bring them to your room?

3. Can you walk out of your room with a full glass of wine and bring it into the dining areas?

Thank you from a first timer on Oceania.

5 minutes ago, Empehi said:

A couple of wine questions:

1. On embarkation day ... how many bottles can be brought on board per person>  

1a. Will there be wine glasses and cork screws in the rooms?

2. Can you buy wine at the different ports and bring them to your room?

3. Can you walk out of your room with a full glass of wine and bring it into the dining areas?

Thank you from a first timer on Oceania.

1.  No real limit.  In writing 3 as a fall back but, people bring cases.

1a Yes

2  Yes

3  No

• Thanks 1

1. There is no official limit but you are expected to be “reasonable”.

1a. From memory yes, but if I’m wrong you would only need to ask your steward/stewardess.

2. Yes

3. Oceania treats you like a responsible adult by allowing you to bring alcohol onboard. To abuse that privilege would be what my good friend Flatbush Flyer would call “low-rent”. Wine brought onboard is for consumption (not just pouring) in your room.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

3. Oceania treats you like a responsible adult by allowing you to bring alcohol onboard. To abuse that privilege would be what my good friend Flatbush Flyer would call “low-rent”. Wine brought onboard is for consumption (not just pouring) in your room.

Just to add - the bottle you brought on can be taken to any dining venue for a corkage fee of $25

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure lot of "experts' and "veterans" will not like my comments, but in our recent cruise on Marina, I observed MANY times people (sometimes "groups" ) walking with their glasses of wine (not bar glasses) and going to restaurants....No objections/questions from waiting staff who CLEARLY could see what I saw..  By the way, while I very much appreciate Oceania's liberal policy, I think calling these people's action "low rent" is not appropriate.

25 minutes ago, docmark said:

I am sure lot of "experts' and "veterans" will not like my comments, but in our recent cruise on Marina, I observed MANY times people (sometimes "groups" ) walking with their glasses of wine (not bar glasses) and going to restaurants....No objections/questions from waiting staff who CLEARLY could see what I saw..  By the way, while I very much appreciate Oceania's liberal policy, I think calling these people's action "low rent" is not appropriate.

No matter how you slice it or dice it, to violate a very clear policy upon which many people rely is nothing else but "low rent."

Of course, that parading glass of wine you saw could be from the complimentary bottle(s) given to certain O Club loyalty categories or poured from the bar setup of upper cabin categories. But, IMO, even that may be stretching the meaning of the policy. If you're planning on taking wine out of the cabin, bring the unopened bottle to any bar or dining venue. If it's your personal wine, there's a $25 charge (including gratuity). If it's O Club wine, there's no corkage charge. In either case, anything left over will be stored for your future use (at no added charge).

As for staff avoiding confrontation, their preference is to spare passengers initial embarrassment. However, habitual offenders will be asked to have a private word with the maitre d', chief wine steward or bar manager. You may not have witnessed it. But, that does happen. Fortunately, folks like that are few and far between on Oceania.

OP: you can bring as much wine and spirits onboard as you care to at embarkation or at port stops. But, PLEASE, follow the rules: Personal spirits only in the cabin. Wine in the cabin at no corkage charge until you take it to a bar or restaurant or public space at which point you will incur the $25 corkage fee for personal stock.

BTW, if the wine glassware/opener is not already in your cabin, just ask your cabin attendant for it. Note that you can also put in a pre-cruise request for certain available mixers to be in your fridge.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

BTW, if the wine glassware/opener is not already in your cabin, just ask your cabin attendant for it. Note that you can also put in a pre-cruise request for certain available mixers to be in your fridge.

Where do we send requests for certain mixers in our fridge or do we make them when we meet with our concierge?

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You or your TA can call oceania approx. one month ahead.

This applies mostly to uncommon drinks such as caffeine free Diet Coke, etc.

More common drinks can be requested from butler/cabin attendant once onboard.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This applies mostly to uncommon drinks such as caffeine free Diet Coke, etc.

More common drinks can be requested from butler/cabin attendant once onboard.

It's so funny you mentioned caffeine free Diet Coke because that is definitely something we would want. 🙂

Edited by schmerl

3 hours ago, docmark said:

I agree, low rent "no", just bad taste!

I am sorry but I do not understand how it ok to bring as many bottles on board as you like (saving a lot of money), blantantly against the rules, (which may not be enforced) but then say people who walk out of their rooms with a glass of wine (which also may not be enforced) are "low rent"

8 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I am sorry but I do not understand how it ok to bring as many bottles on board as you like (saving a lot of money), blantantly against the rules, (which may not be enforced) but then say people who walk out of their rooms with a glass of wine (which also may not be enforced) are "low rent"

Simple - because those ARE the rules.

You can bring on wine - be thankful - but it states that it must be consumed in the cabin or pay the corkage if taken to dinner.

Would you prefer they do not allow to bring on wine at all like most other cruise lines do?

Disclaimer - I do not drink at all but I understand the rules.

1 minute ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Can I order wine pre-cruise to be in my cabin when we board?  

Yes  at very inflated prices

check the Bon Voyage  gifts  at the bottom of the home page

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/

Option 2  buy  a bottle at the restaurant & have it sent  to your cabin

Option 3  buy the 7 bottle wine package

option 4  buy a beverage package & just get a glass of wine  when you want

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Simple - because those ARE the rules.

You can bring on wine - be thankful - but it states that it must be consumed in the cabin or pay the corkage if taken to dinner.

Would you prefer they do not allow to bring on wine at all like most other cruise lines do?

Disclaimer - I do not drink at all but I understand the rules.

but someone said the rule was max 3 bottles to be brought on board but it was OK to ignore that rule....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

but someone said the rule was max 3 bottles to be brought on board but it was OK to ignore that rule....

That is Oceania being very kind and generous.

Oceania is not an all inclusive line - alcohol is not included unlike on luxury lines.

Oceania makes a profit from selling alcohol to those that want to use it (thankfully it does not make those that do not drink pay for it like luxury lines do).

If they allowed one to bring on wine and consume it all over the ship without corkage or a fee, that would become an all inclusive line without you having to pay for it.

There are options - get a drink package or pay as you go.

Most people are thankful for O’s liberal policy and follow it; failure to do so will lead to prohibition of bringing on any alcohol.

It’s really very simple.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  at very inflated prices

check the Bon Voyage  gifts  at the bottom of the home page

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/

Option 2  buy  a bottle at the restaurant & have it sent  to your cabin

Option 3  buy the 7 bottle wine package

option 4  buy a beverage package & just get a glass of wine  when you want

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value

Wow you weren't kidding!  $350 for seven bottles of unknown named wine.  Looks like we will stop on the way to the port.  We will still get the beverage package for when we are out and about.  But like to have a few glasses of wine or tequila in the evening on the balcony and I hate to have to run to the bar every time I need a refill.  On other cruises I usually just grab a few beers during the day to stock up the cabin refrigerator for later.  But wine by the glass is a little harder to do that.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

14 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

The T&Cs state a bottle limit as a CYA statement in case Oceania finds itself needing to enforce it (as would be the case if too many cheapskates started abusing the corkage and related onboard booze rules).

There's a vast difference between O's permission granted to passengers at embarkation (and at appropriate itinerary ports) to bring aboard unlimited alcohol and the problem of passengers who disregard the onboard rules including reminders in the Currents citing the rule about corkage and personal alcohol use in public spaces and dining venues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeanine said:

Our embarkation port is Singapore, is that a good place to buy wine to bring onboard?

Absolutely not.  just to give you an idea of prices for alcohol I recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in Singapore and being a beer drinker and not as much a wine drinker, 6 packs of beer in grocery stores were depending on the brand a minimum of almost $30 US.  At my hotel a pint of local Tiger beer on draft was $10.50 US.  

All alcohol in Singapore is heavily taxed with wine included.  Wine is available but likely in the same or higher prices than onboard.  Better to wait for a lower alcohol taxed port.  Not sure if you can buy it tax and duty free upon arrival at Changi.airport.

9 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

the rule now is 6 bottles

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006547473-Can-I-purchase-bottles-of-wine-at-ports-of-call-and-bring-them-on-board-

But as long as people do not abuse the generous  rules you can bring more  for your cabin or take the bottle to the dining venues & pay the fee

Maybe they will start charging the fee  just to bring a bottle onboard  like  NCL  then you are free to drink it anywhere

JMO

• Thanks 1