New updated dress code

sunonfire

I find it interesting that the article states that cruise lines often take a hard stance on enforcing rules like chair hogs and formal night attire. That author has obviously never sailed Carnival.

i like the new policy especially in regard to profanity or sexual innuendo. Little kids don’t need to be seeing that. But I have a hard time believing anything will be done about.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

I find it interesting that the article states that cruise lines often take a hard stance on enforcing rules like chair hogs and formal night attire. That author has obviously never sailed Carnival.

As for the question of enforcement, several in the comments section pointed out that it’s far easier to make rules than it is to impose them. Cruise lines often take strong stances when it comes to things like chair hogs or making sure people wear proper attire to the dining room on formal night, but enforcement of these rules is haphazard at best.

The statement says they take a strong stance but enforcement is not followed if you read the entire paragraph. So they probably have sailed on Carnival.

• Like 2

Problem is people just don't have common sense.  Yeah, it is easy on either end: profanity t shirt banned, Mickey mouse is not. 

But, where do you draw the line? People expect a bright line rule, and if such a bright line isn't strictly used, they get all antagonistic. 

Problem is, such a bright line doesn't exist.  Those enforcing the policy need to use common sense, which is often sorely lacking. 

And, if individuals disagree with the decision makers, they need to have the common sense to understand that it's ok if people don't agree with them on close calls and let it go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunonfire said:

Has been needed, My real question is why are you going to sail on a Cruise line you hate only to try and promote another and probably irritate other passengers? 

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Has been needed, My real question is why are you going to sail on a Cruise line you hate only to try and promote another and probably irritate other passengers? 

I have no idea what you are claiming.  You obviously have mistaken me for some one else.

So, when a guest is offended when someone is wearing a ragged tshirt and shorts in dining room on Elegant Night, John mocks them but if someone wearing a  shirt that reads "Vegan Miss Steak" they will spring into action to protect someone's feelings?  Doubt it.  Maybe attire displaying George Carlin's famous 7 (American) words will be affected especially after a stop at Key West

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

So, when a guest is offended when someone is wearing a ragged tshirt and shorts in dining room on Elegant Night, John mocks them but if someone wearing a  shirt that reads "Vegan Miss Steak" they will spring into action to protect someone's feelings?  Doubt it.  Maybe attire displaying George Carlin's famous 7 (American) words will be affected especially after a stop at Key West

Somebody is an angry elf

51 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

I have no idea what you are claiming.  You obviously have mistaken me for some one else.

I never claimed it was you but the Rule was put in place because a Lady hates Carnival was going to sail on her upcoming cruise and wear shirts that said rude and vile things Directed at Carnival/JH all the while promoting another line.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Somebody is an angry elf

Just a realist...  This new dress code puts itself in the impossible category when they went past vulgar.  "Commentary" is opinion.  If I am offended by your opinion, you must appease me once I complain to crew.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Just a realist...  This new dress code puts itself in the impossible category when they went past vulgar.  "Commentary" is opinion.  If I am offended by your opinion, you must appease me once I complain to crew.  

It’s actually fairly easy as to where to draw the line, harder to implement how to handle it.  I vote for asking first time and put off at next port and banned for life if it does not work.  What is NOT thee issue here is John and the coward school bullies that hate and do juvenile pranks.   

18 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I never claimed it was you but the Rule was put in place because a Lady hates Carnival was going to sail on her upcoming cruise and wear shirts that said rude and vile things Directed at Carnival/JH all the while promoting another line.

The article does refer to her as a lady. Some " Lady. " When did people stop making the distinction between a lady and a woman? 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It’s actually fairly easy as to where to draw the line, harder to implement how to handle it.  I vote for asking first time and put off at next port and banned for life if it does not work.  What is NOT thee issue here is John and the coward school bullies that hate and do juvenile pranks.   

What does that have to do with  John's statements that this new policy will be "definitely enforced' since he frequently throws complaints from cruisers about current dress codes to the wolves?

I have seen some pretty vulgar t-shirts on my cruises.   I have also seen some thong bikinis that are literally dental floss and nipple covers, along with banana hammocks for men.  Some people find those just as offensive as vulgar sayings on shirts.   I don't think CCL will enforce this new "rule", just as they don't really enforce any kind of dress code in the dining rooms - especially on elegant nights.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Carnival has not enforced their own dress code in the MDR and speciality restaurants for years now. I would be very surprised if they actually enforced this new rule. 

I agree, It almost sounds like it's just a "formality" that they had to re-write the dress code. 

• Like 1

As others have already said, creating a new rule or guideline is one thing. Enforcing it is another thing altogether. And, who's job will it be to tell a passenger that their t-shirt is not appropriate and that, because other passengers have complained,  the "offensive" t-shirt cannot be worn? Someone from Housekeeping? Nope. Bar service? Probably not. MDR hostess or host? Maybe. Maitre D? Maybe. Cruise Director? Only if he / she can take time from their busy schedule to talk to the person with the offensive t-shirt. And, what if someone complains but nothing is done about it? Would that result in an argument between two passengers which could then turn into a violent confrontation? Posting this new dress code in the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page  or in the cruise contract won't have much impact. Based on questions I've seen posted on here and / or Facebook, there are a lot of people that never read the F.A.Q. section or their cruise contract. This new dress code may appease some passengers, but will have very little effect (if any) on those who simply just don't give a rip. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

As others have already said, creating a new rule or guideline is one thing. Enforcing it is another thing altogether. And, who's job will it be to tell a passenger that their t-shirt is not appropriate and that, because other passengers have complained,  the "offensive" t-shirt cannot be worn? Someone from Housekeeping? Nope. Bar service? Probably not. MDR hostess or host? Maybe. Maitre D? Maybe. Cruise Director? Only if he / she can take time from their busy schedule to talk to the person with the offensive t-shirt. And, what if someone complains but nothing is done about it? Would that result in an argument between two passengers which could then turn into a violent confrontation? Posting this new dress code in the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page  or in the cruise contract won't have much impact. Based on questions I've seen posted on here and / or Facebook, there are a lot of people that never read the F.A.Q. section or their cruise contract. This new dress code may appease some passengers, but will have very little effect (if any) on those who simply just don't give a rip. 

If it starts being known that the "offended" guest receives some sort of compensation to appease them,  might as well call it a bounty.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1