New updated dress code

sunonfire

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

As others have already said, creating a new rule or guideline is one thing. Enforcing it is another thing altogether. And, who's job will it be to tell a passenger that their t-shirt is not appropriate and that, because other passengers have complained,  the "offensive" t-shirt cannot be worn? Someone from Housekeeping? Nope. Bar service? Probably not. MDR hostess or host? Maybe. Maitre D? Maybe. Cruise Director? Only if he / she can take time from their busy schedule to talk to the person with the offensive t-shirt. And, what if someone complains but nothing is done about it? Would that result in an argument between two passengers which could then turn into a violent confrontation? Posting this new dress code in the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page  or in the cruise contract won't have much impact. Based on questions I've seen posted on here and / or Facebook, there are a lot of people that never read the F.A.Q. section or their cruise contract. This new dress code may appease some passengers, but will have very little effect (if any) on those who simply just don't give a rip. 

My guess would be the security staff. Many cruisers don't realize how many security details are on a ship. On our Dream cruise, I stopped and asked a security guy. He said on the Dream, they had 13 of them. Well that surprised me. You don't see them often, but they are there. And the on'e's I saw looked like body builders. I know I wouldn't want to be in a confrontation with them. Just my opinion and thoughts. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If it starts being known that the "offended" guest receives some sort of compensation to appease them,  might as well call it a bounty.   

That could open a big can of worms. Compensation? What type, and how much? No, that's not a good idea, for so many reasons.

• Like 1

Will the next step be warning then confining people to their rooms for wearing too much perfume/cologne? What about loud and unruly kids being confined to kids clubs and rooms when ship not in port? Can we force others to brush their teeth/shower every day?

I really can't believe Carnival is doing this. There's so many other offensive things that people do that at much bigger deal than "bad" words on a shirt. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Will the next step be warning then confining people to their rooms for wearing too much perfume/cologne? What about loud and unruly kids being confined to kids clubs and rooms when ship not in port? Can we force others to brush their teeth/shower every day?

I really can't believe Carnival is doing this. There's so many other offensive things that people do that at much bigger deal than "bad" words on a shirt. 

I will move on

• Thanks 1

It would be nice if Carnival would enforce their bluetooth speaker rules first before they come up with new ones. I don't care about what a person wears, I just want the kids (and adults) to stop blasting crap music down the halls and in the cabins.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser
  • Like 2

How about we get the security detail to just throw one or two people overboard each cruise and see if that doesnt get people to do right on that cruise and I am sure word would spread so on future cruises it may not happen as often.

Well I guess we have to decide what is right.  Would that be social norms?  Todays social norms?  Or past social norms?  How about we just say industry standard?  Well per this forum there seems to be different standards per cruise line, so not sure that would work.  Maybe they could add safe spaces and rooms with puppies, and stuffed animals, but then we would have sanitary issues.  But that might be ok for some folks and offend others.  

This is a tough one. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Drats! I have to leave my T-shirts that depict my feelings about Carnival's new soft drink partner at home.

Ooooooh thank goodness I never drink sodas on ships (or very much at all) because I'm with you on that. If I am gonna ever drink one, it's not that one for sure.

just reflecting.... there was a time less than 10 yrs ago... this wasn't even a discussion..

people dressed up for night time socializing on the ship..now it's the "Fun" ships..

like it or not...Formal night... joke...DW and I still get dressed.. enjoy seeing Her all beautiful..

Chair hogs have a special place in......Merry Christmas All!

• Like 4

I see on Facebook this topic has come up.  If the lovers of trash talk think it is cute, why are you afraid to spell it out here?  The point is, if it is not ok to spell it out here, then it should not be ok on the ship.  Period 

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3

It is about time. Thank you Carnival. All cruise lines should follow.

"All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests,” the post reads. “Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.”

JH pushed this out the other day on his FB page and I believe it's a fantastic change. I haven't cruised yet, but I've seen the pictures/vlogs/videos and it's sad that some people think these clothing items are funny. It just goes to show what kind of person they really are.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

It is about time. Thank you Carnival. All cruise lines should follow.

"All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests,” the post reads. “Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.”

you can say its about time when they enforce it. 

• Like 2

A problem might be who's determining what's offensive.  example - 1/2 the country think MAGA hats are cool - another percentage would say they're offensive.

We sailed the Sunshine earlier this month and I didn't see any shirts that  " contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions .... there was one MAGA hat ... freedom of speech?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

This has already been discussed here. However, all it does is stress that common sense isn't so common anymore. The fact that they had to write a policy to say what should be common sense....

Same reason for the WARNING on a hair dryer. Do not use in the shower.