NCL - Crafty Ways for 3rd & 4th guest drink package

dcs1989

We are doing a cruise for 4 of us in Total.  Treating my mom so i'd like her to get the drink package for a stress free trip :).  

We're getting the 2 bedroom haven suite but that unfortunately only includes the first 2 guests and any sailing that fits in all 4 of our schedules excludes 3rd/4th guest sail free.

It's actually cheaper for me to book a 3rd/4th Cabin that includes the extra's for them than it would be to add the extras for them to keep us in room.  So silly to work out that way!

I'm pretty sure we're just SoL and will likely just pay for their drinks on board but has anyone found a cheaper way to do this?  Cruise Critic is full of tricksters 😄 so im' sure there's something.  Any way of moving them to our Haven cabin once on board and paying the difference in gratuities / extras on board?  

I will remain nameless...my husband and I took turns ordering 2 at a time; after hours I traded cards with my adult daughter; she went out with the friends she made on board that were her age group, I turned in for the night with her card and we traded back in the am.  Felt nervous the first day or so but the poolside service was so terrible, it didn't matter to me anymore.  She did order a few drinks with dinner and we just paid the drink price

34 minutes ago, dcs1989 said:

We are doing a cruise for 4 of us in Total.  Treating my mom so i'd like her to get the drink package for a stress free trip :).  

We're getting the 2 bedroom haven suite but that unfortunately only includes the first 2 guests and any sailing that fits in all 4 of our schedules excludes 3rd/4th guest sail free.

It's actually cheaper for me to book a 3rd/4th Cabin that includes the extra's for them than it would be to add the extras for them to keep us in room.  So silly to work out that way!

I'm pretty sure we're just SoL and will likely just pay for their drinks on board but has anyone found a cheaper way to do this?  Cruise Critic is full of tricksters 😄 so im' sure there's something.  Any way of moving them to our Haven cabin once on board and paying the difference in gratuities / extras on board?  

Crafty = Theft 

Theft = guest 1 and 2 having their beverage package cancelled without compensation. 

Poor poolside service does not justify theft. 

Moving them to sleep in your cabin is fine. They are NOT allowed in any of the Haven lounge facilities, bar, courtyard, pool, sundeck, sauna or Restaurant. You can have filet steak and eggs for breakfast in the Haven Restaurant while you send them on their way to the buffet. You can have lovely dinners in the Haven Restaurant while you send them to the main dining room. The Concierge sometimes allows guests in the Haven restaurant for a $35 per person per meal charge. 

Remember in the movie Titanic when Jack in steerage was not allowed into First Class with Rose? Same is true of the Haven. Guests not allow (other than directly to/from your room). 

And the 2nd bedroom doesn’t have real beds. They drape a sheet over the soda. A real bed in steerage is much more comfortable. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, dcs1989 said:

I don't know when your cruise is but with the current promo....

Premium Beverage Package (Open Bar)
Premium Beverage Package is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America.
Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation.

...it might be worth it to cancel/rebook with everyone staying in the Haven suite. 

51 minutes ago, dcs1989 said:

Any way of moving them to our Haven cabin once on board and paying the difference in gratuities / extras on board?  

No. 

They can always visit you in the suite (not the rest of the Haven) but they will still be booked in the other stateroom unless you cancel that stateroom and move them into the suite (if you haven't reached final payment date, yet).

Don't try to "gift" drinks or share cards. Yes, you are unlikely to get caught but if you get caught, you can lose your package without refund and might have to pay for all previous drinks you/they ordered from the start of the cruise. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Crafty = Theft 

Theft = guest 1 and 2 having their beverage package cancelled without compensation. 

Poor poolside service does not justify theft. 

Moving them to sleep in your cabin is fine. They are NOT allowed in any of the Haven lounge facilities, bar, courtyard, pool, sundeck, sauna or Restaurant. You can have filet steak and eggs for breakfast in the Haven Restaurant while you send them on their way to the buffet. You can have lovely dinners in the Haven Restaurant while you send them to the main dining room. The Concierge sometimes allows guests in the Haven restaurant for a $35 per person per meal charge. 

Remember in the movie Titanic when Jack in steerage was not allowed into First Class with Rose? Same is true of the Haven. Guests not allow (other than directly to/from your room). 

And the 2nd bedroom doesn’t have real beds. They drape a sheet over the soda. A real bed in steerage is much more comfortable. 

Crafty is NOT synonymous with Theft and no where in my post do I say how can I steal drinks nor imply it.  This is more of an extreme coupon type question.  I'm very familiar with traveling in the Haven and the setup of the suites and that was not my question.

From my experience with all of my travels, there are always legitimate ways to get crafty so that everyone can have a piece of the discount.  There is a deal for everything but sometimes you just have to book it in unconventional ways to get the deal without breaking any of the companies rules.  Hence the word "crafty".  If your paying full price for everything your definitely doing it wrong.

Edited by dcs1989
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dcs1989 said:

Crafty is NOT synonymous with Theft and no where in my post do I say how can I steal drinks nor imply it.  This is more of an extreme coupon type question.  I'm very familiar with traveling in the Haven and the setup of the suites and that was not my question.

From my experience with all of my travels, there are always legitimate ways to get crafty so that everyone can have a piece of the discount.  There is a deal for everything but sometimes you just have to book it in unconventional ways to get the deal without breaking any of the companies rules.  Hence the word "crafty".  If your paying full price for everything your definitely doing it wrong.

Safest craftiest way I can think of is to just keep ordering 2 drinks each time at different bars and share them. Let the verbal spanking begin, lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mismal said:

I will remain nameless...my husband and I took turns ordering 2 at a time; after hours I traded cards with my adult daughter; she went out with the friends she made on board that were her age group, I turned in for the night with her card and we traded back in the am.  Felt nervous the first day or so but the poolside service was so terrible, it didn't matter to me anymore.  

And it's thanks to stuff like this that NCL requires two adults in a cabin to pick the same perks when it comes to things like the beverage package, even if one doesn't drink and doesn't really want that perk.  You've taken cheating to a whole other level. 

The "terrible poolside service" doesn't justify your actions, either.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

And it's thanks to stuff like this that NCL requires two adults in a cabin to pick the same perks when it comes to things like the beverage package, even if one doesn't drink and doesn't really want that perk.  You've taken cheating to a whole other level. 

The "terrible poolside service" doesn't justify your actions, either.

Not to mention it's likely why now every adult over 21 in a cabin that picks the perk has to pay the gratuities. The change has been around for almost a month. I wouldn't be surprised if it stuck - so people won't steal,  I mean "get crafty ".

• Like 1

Agree with the other poster on the recommendation to re-book under the current offer where all adults in the booking receive the drink package (at the cost of the gratuities, or course).  Depending on the current rates against your original booking, this may or may not be financially wise, but it's worth a look.

I did myself: when this drink package offer was posted a few weeks ago, I re-booked a Haven 2 family so my adult kids could be part of the fun (and save a lot of money).

25 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Agree with the other poster on the recommendation to re-book under the current offer where all adults in the booking receive the drink package (at the cost of the gratuities, or course).  Depending on the current rates against your original booking, this may or may not be financially wise, but it's worth a look.

I did myself: when this drink package offer was posted a few weeks ago, I re-booked a Haven 2 family so my adult kids could be part of the fun (and save a lot of money).

I'd agree, maybe just rebook so you all get the drink package.  Different options seem to offer different savings.  

As a brand new cruiser, I'm not familiar with this approach of buying drinks (sharing drinks) for people not on the drink package.  We've been to many all inclusives but that by definition means sharing (giving to others) would be irrelevant as we're all on the same package.  (Well there are upgrade packages, of course, but generally everyone has all included drinks for their package).

I'm still really looking forward to our cruise, but I'm starting to second guess why I didn't just book a deluxe all-inclusive resort.  

No, take it back, I want to go on this cruise!!!

28 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

As a brand new cruiser, I'm not familiar with this approach of buying drinks (sharing drinks) for people not on the drink package.  We've been to many all inclusives but that by definition means sharing (giving to others) would be irrelevant as we're all on the same package.  (Well there are upgrade packages, of course, but generally everyone has all included drinks for their package).

“Sharing drinks” with people who don’t have the drink package is against the rules. It’s cheating.  

https://www.ncl.com/terms/premium-beverage-package

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

“Sharing drinks” with people who don’t have the drink package is against the rules. It’s cheating.  

Well, it's actually worse than cheating, it is theft.  Theft that the rest of us get to pay for.

Edited by Love my butler
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yup, I do understand and thanks for posting the link, I do think it helps to understand the rules.  
Even as a new cruiser, I think it best to adhere to the rules.  I think that was my point at the beginning of my post (which wasn’t quoted). 

Give the 2 biggest drinkers the drink package. If all 4 drink lots then it may be worth paying for 2 more packages.

My wife does not drink that much and we have the drink package.  NCL will definitely make their money on us because I don't think we will drink the quota. 

When I went solo on the Gem last spring I booked a last minute sailaway. No drink package. I met an older lady who had the drink package. She kept trying to order me drinks with her card. I kept refusing and all of a sudden noticed all the cameras every where. She was persistent but I would not allow it. She then pulled out all these nips from her bag and gave them to me. She said she just brought them in her carry on and no one questioned it. Lol. If I brought them I’d be caught.

Oh wow.....THIS is exactly why i posted this!!!!! 

So I reread through everything after being distracted by the unhappy people of CC and must say thank you everyone else!

2 hours ago, JennyMominRI said:

I just booked today while they are doing all 4 freebies.  There are 3 of us .The drinks package is now applied to all 3, not just the first 2

I actually have NOT booked and was working with the a cruise consultant ready to book this morning.  They had mentioned the drink package for the current offer was only for first and 2nd guests so that's what started the breaks on booking!  After reading everyones posts and re-reading the current promo I think they are mistaken and assuming its like the old promo's for just 1st and 2nd guest...?  It does read as if all guests in my booking 21+ would get the drink package so it looks like this may be a non-issue as long as we book before the promo ends the 1st.  I'll give a follow up post :).  

• Like 1

The “free drinks for all” is the way to go for sure - but if for any reason you can’t get that, my approach is to have a heart to heart with all of you, guesstimate how much you would drink each HONESTLY and assign the two biggest drinkers the booze pkgs.  For the next two do the arithmetic - is the $119/day worth it really?  Even if you drink $119 worth of drinks one or two days, will you do that every single day, or drink more than you want just to get the deal?  I think there is also a corks & bottles package that is cheaper, perhaps that would do the trick?

Anyway, after the arithmetic is done, if two couples are sharing, pool the cost of the UBP tips for the first two & drinks for the other two (whether it’s pay for booze plan, corks and bottles, or pay as you go) and split them four ways.  At least that’s fair to all.

13 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Anyway, after the arithmetic is done, if two couples are sharing, pool the cost of the UBP tips for the first two & drinks for the other two (whether it’s pay for booze plan, corks and bottles, or pay as you go) and split them four ways.  At least that’s fair to all.

It's fair provided that the total cost of the cabin is also split four ways, as the cost of the drinks packages is built into the cabin fare of the first two occupants. 

8 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

It's fair provided that the total cost of the cabin is also split four ways, as the cost of the drinks packages is built into the cabin fare of the first two occupants. 

You are right - and even fairer is they total the entire cost of cabin, DSC, drinks, tips on UBP and divide 4 ways.  And if they want specialty dining, same thing - the second two buy the package for the same # of nights and add that to the bill to divide 4 ways.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this as we were daydreaming about doing a GV and bringing along adult children—then realized the UBP was going to be a problem, so we had to come up with a way that all could drink as they chose, but the cost would be fair to everyone, not just the two who got the “free” UBP.

15 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Safest craftiest way I can think of is to just keep ordering 2 drinks each time at different bars and share them. Let the verbal spanking begin, lol.

That is stealing and you know it. Otherwise you would not have said verbal sparking. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mismal said:

I will remain nameless...my husband and I took turns ordering 2 at a time; after hours I traded cards with my adult daughter; she went out with the friends she made on board that were her age group, I turned in for the night with her card and we traded back in the am.  Felt nervous the first day or so but the poolside service was so terrible, it didn't matter to me anymore.  She did order a few drinks with dinner and we just paid the drink price

It’s too bad you are nameless because what you did was stealing. People who do this drives up prices for the honest people. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, purpleally said:

That is stealing and you know it. Otherwise you would not have said verbal sparking. 

Unlike you and several others here, I am not making judgements about the OP. Simply trying to answer her question, which is why she posted here. I believe that is the point of these boards. I personally would not do this, but what I would or would not do is irrelevant to the question. As is what you would or would not do.

34 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Unlike you and several others here, I am not making judgements about the OP. Simply trying to answer her question, which is why she posted here. I believe that is the point of these boards. I personally would not do this, but what I would or would not do is irrelevant to the question. As is what you would or would not do.

I am absolutely NOT making judgements about the OP. They were asking best way economically to get drink package for everyone on their party. I said absolutely nothing about the OP. Just responded to the two people who gave advice on stealing, one of which was you. 

The OP was not asking how to steal drinks.