Best ship for outdoor areas

Bonnie23

I am fairly new to cruising.  My second cruise is in May 2020.  But I am looking ahead to book cruise #3!  I know for sure #3 will be a Caribbean cruise.  I have only sailed with Norwegian and still have cruise deposits with them, just wanted to know what everyone’s opinion was on which ships have the best/largest outdoor spaces.  If I am cruising in the Caribbean, I want to be out in the sun as much as possible!😎

2 minutes ago, Bonnie23 said:

I am fairly new to cruising.  My second cruise is in May 2020.  But I am looking ahead to book cruise #3!  I know for sure #3 will be a Caribbean cruise.  I have only sailed with Norwegian and still have cruise deposits with them, just wanted to know what everyone’s opinion was on which ships have the best/largest outdoor spaces.  If I am cruising in the Caribbean, I want to be out in the sun as much as possible!😎

RCI Oasis Class by a mile!  It's the most expansive and open deck I've ever seen.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bonnie23 said:

The best outer decks on a cruise ship is highly subjective and depends on personal preferences and the largest in area is most likely not the most spacious, due to the total number of passengers.

For what we look for in a cruise, mega ships from any mass market Line would have outer decks that are the exact opposite of what we consider best. While they may have lots of space, they can also have > 6,000 pax all vying for space.

Our preference is a smaller ship with a couple of pools, no screaming kids and lots of available loungers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonnie23 said:

"Best" and "largest" can be vastly different things.

• Like 1

We would agree with Heidi.  On most large mass market vessels the sun beds are packed together like sardines in a can.  And the extraneous noise can be a real pain, especially for those who want to just read or listen to their own music (via headphones or ear buds).  The smaller luxury line ships are where you generally have plenty of space and less noise.  For those wanting a somewhat larger ship with lots of personal space, Crystal has much to offer.   Some folks like to look at a ships "space ratio" which is the tonnage divided by number of passengers.  Some of the mass market ships have less then 30 tons per passenger while luxury vessels might have 70!  It is a big difference aboard.

Hank

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bonnie23 said:

As is typical with this sort of thread, you have people making assumptions about ships they’ve never even set foot on. 

I’ve cruised everything from the mass market mega ships to luxury ships to exploration ships. Without a doubt, my favorite open decks are on Royal Caribbean Oasis Class ships. Not only is it huge but unlike some assumptions made in this thread, they’re also very uncrowded. 

13 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That's a very skewed comparison.  The first is a sea day during some sort of pool event and the second is a port day.  

NO. Second pic is also a typical sea day OR port day (often little difference) on that cruise line.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

40 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

vive la différence...

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Sorry, calling you out on this one.  Clock shows 1800, (could have been 0600), except pool setup doesn’t begin until 0700 most days on deck.  At that time, 60% or more passengers getting ready for drinks/dinner.   Not the same as 1300 or 1400 on sea day in good weather.   Not a good comparison IMHO.   Most sea days even on O you have to seek out chairs.   Pls don’t exaggerate to make a point.   

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Sorry, calling you out on this one.  Clock shows 1800, (could have been 0600), except pool setup doesn’t begin until 0700 most days on deck.  At that time, 60% or more passengers getting ready for drinks/dinner.   Not the same as 1300 or 1400 on sea day in good weather.   Not a good comparison IMHO.   Most sea days even on O you have to seek out chairs.   Pls don’t exaggerate to make a point.   

Or perhaps 12:30? (Note that the shadow suggests sun is higher in the sky than might be seen at 6 pm in many locations in Coastal Italy - see ensign).

In any case, my point has nothing to do with Oceania in particular - rather, just trying to show that small doesn't have to mean crowded and some cruise lines care more about passenger/space ratios than do others.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Or perhaps 12:30? (Note that the shadow suggests sun is higher in the sky than might be seen at 6 pm in many locations in Coastal Italy - see ensign).

In any case, my point has nothing to do with Oceania in particular - rather, just trying to show that small doesn't have to mean crowded and some cruise lines care more about passenger/space ratios than do others.

Like this?

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

Edited by Cruseforme

34 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Yes, exactly. Notice the better ratios on premium/luxury lines in that chart and this note:

Cruise passengers-to-space ratio

The ship's "space ratio" (by definition) is the enclosed space (measured in ft3/cubic feet) per passenger. A ship of 45,000 GT (gross tonnage) with capacity 1,000 passengers will have a space ratio 45 (or 45ft3=45000/1000). So if your ship has generally smaller cabins but very large public spaces, she will have a higher space ratio, and the higher the space ratio number, the more guests will enjoy a sense of spaciousness on board.

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, check/compare that "passengers/space ratio" list posted above by Cruseforme.

C'mon FBF.  You expressed your opinion.  Let it go already.  Others are allowed to have their opinions too.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

C'mon FBF.  You expressed your opinion.  Let it go already.  Others are allowed to have their opinions too.  

Perhaps you misunderstood.

As a reality check,  I just pointed the previous posters (shipgeeks and evandbob) to a data driven chart shared earlier by yet another poster (cruseforme). Nothing to do with any "opinion" of mine or cruiseline I may prefer. Rather, I trust that most discerning consumers prefer to have factual information.

Please be respectful of OP's original question: "...which ships have the best/largest outdoor spaces."

Happy New Year! 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As a reality check,  I just pointed the previous posters (shipgeeks and evandbob) to a data driven chart shared earlier by yet another poster (cruseforme). Nothing to do with any "opinion" of mine or cruiseline I may prefer. Rather, I trust that most discerning consumers prefer to have factual information.

Please be respectful of OP's original question: "...which ships have the best/largest outdoor spaces."

I do agree with your premise that in general higher end lines are going to have more space available.  After all, it is one of the strengths that justify the added cost.  However, if the OP is trying to compare between ships operated by similar tier lines, the information about space ratio isn't very useful.  It is, after all, a measurement of interior space (and not directly related to ft3 despite what the site implies). 

In addition, ships of very similar tonnage can have dramatically different layouts, particularly among mass market and mid-tier lines where significant space can be devoted to "attractions" and areas reserved for suite guests or requiring additional fees.  Likely another plus for a higher end line, but if the OP is trying to compare NCL/RCI/CCL space ratio isn't all that useful in determining exterior crowds.

In short, I agree with your overall premise, but I want to be respectful of the original question as well.  Thus far they have sailed on NCL and haven't indicated a desire to go to a different type of line.  I do like facts, but if they stick with a mainstream, some of the facts presented are easily misinterpreted.  

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

11 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

I do agree with your premise that in general higher end lines are going to have more space available.  After all, it is one of the strengths that justify the added cost.  However, if the OP is trying to compare between ships operated by similar tier lines, the information about space ratio isn't very useful.  It is, after all, a measurement of interior space (and not directly related to ft3 despite what the site implies). 

In addition, ships of very similar tonnage can have dramatically different layouts, particularly among mass market and mid-tier lines where significant space can be devoted to "attractions" and areas reserved for suite guests or requiring additional fees.  Likely another plus for a higher end line, but if the OP is trying to compare NCL/RCI/CCL space ratio isn't all that useful in determining exterior crowds.

In short, I agree with your overall premise, but I want to be respectful of the original question as well.  Thus far they have sailed on NCL and haven't indicated a desire to go to a different type of line.  I do like facts, but if they stick with a mainstream, some of the facts presented are easily misinterpreted.  

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Excellent observations.

Happy New Year to you as well.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, Heidi13 said:

The best outer decks on a cruise ship is highly subjective and depends on personal preferences and the largest in area is most likely not the most spacious, due to the total number of passengers.

For what we look for in a cruise, mega ships from any mass market Line would have outer decks that are the exact opposite of what we consider best. While they may have lots of space, they can also have > 6,000 pax all vying for space.

Our preference is a smaller ship with a couple of pools, no screaming kids and lots of available loungers.

I agree.
The bigger the ship, the less open deck space per passenger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:10 PM, Bonnie23 said:

depends on  what you expect to be doing  outside.  if just lying on a lounger  getting skin cancer, then all mass market lines have that option with at least one deck   that is less crowded ( away from the pool deck) 

if you want to be out and about doing stuff, then the larger ships of  Royal such as Oasis  Class where there is a crap ton of things to do all day and night indoors and out.  

BEST is a subjective thing. However, I have been on Holland-America's KONINGSDAM a great many days, some Trans-Atlantic. Hours would go by and NO ONE was topside higher than DECK 10. None. Zero. Me and my KINDLE and lotsa quiet sunshine (or shade) and wind whistling in the wires. Admittedly, Short Caribbean jaunts may be a different story....