Captains club upgrade

bogofman

I'm wondering how the captains club 1 level upgrade works.

is that within a category or across categories.

if we book a outside cabin would it work to upgrade to the lowest balcony?

or only work within the balcony grades,

eg. book an obstructed cabin then get a free upgrade to the first unobstructed?

i assume we must phone up the captains club number to get this, since it does not seem to work online ( or it didn't last time i tried)

with Royal Caribbean, booking online does get the C&A discount

Thanks in advance for any advice

Only works within a category like C2 at a C3 price or 06 at 07 price etc.   Doesn't work for suites and there are some categories which you can't do like FV and C1.

Yes you have to call or have your TA do it if booking directly with a TA.  The Celebrity website doesn't even tell you the subcategory when browsing.

Edited by wrk2cruise

From the website:

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

• Like 1

Think of it more as a "down price" rather than "upgrade" -- you book the cabin you want and pay for the category one below it,  There's one other thing to be aware of -- there must be an available room in the category below in order for them to give you the "upgrade".

• Like 1

its not possible to see the categories any longer on the web site , only price

shall have to give the cabin we want and then pay the lower price as suggested above.

does consiege count as a veranda upgrade?

current pricing for the cruise we are looking at the lowest conseige is almost as low as the lowest veranda

4 minutes ago, bogofman said:

shall have to give the cabin we want and then pay the lower price as suggested above.

current pricing for the cruise we are looking at the lowest conseige is almost as low as the lowest veranda

You can see the cabin categories by looking at the deck plans.  When I'm doing a mock booking to check for pricing, I keep another tab open with the deck plans to check the cabin category.

Concierge is not eligible as a veranda upgrade because it's a different cabin category.

2 hours ago, hiccups said:

You can see the cabin categories by looking at the deck plans.  When I'm doing a mock booking to check for pricing, I keep another tab open with the deck plans to check the cabin category.

For the last several days I have not been able to see the deck plans when searching on Celebrity's web site.  It is so annoying.  All you can get is the list of available cabins and then you have to go through the whole fake booking process to get the price.  Their web site is a disgrace and I often wonder how much business they lose because of this.

2 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

For the last several days I have not been able to see the deck plans when searching on Celebrity's web site.  It is so annoying.  All you can get is the list of available cabins and then you have to go through the whole fake booking process to get the price.  Their web site is a disgrace and I often wonder how much business they lose because of this.

I was just looking at Edge deck plans today using the "ships" drop down menu.  Has that not been working for you?

Edited by hiccups

And, although stated above, this is not applicable for guaranteed cabins.  It states for stateroom assignments only ... means the same thing.  

And the upgrades are only for specific categories to specific categories ... so if you at the top of your super category of inside (to inside), oceanview (to oceanview), veranda (reg veranda), concierge, etc... you would simply pay for the lower category, although, not all are applicable (ie:  C3 to C2 but not a C2 to a C1, no upgrades within the suite categories and no upgrades to a FV).  I usually pick out my room and then ask if they can lower the price to the category below.  It's usually about a savings of $10 - $20 pp only however, one time, I got an overall savings of $500, though.  Most of the times, those category upgrades with huge savings aren't allowed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bogofman said:

Don't use the Celebrity website.  It is designed to confuse you by picking a cabin and then finding out the price and the category.

Virtually all 3rd party websites will show you the cabin availability by category.

11 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Has always been that way.  Probably have lost $ millions and millions over the years. Difficulty booking, difficulty booking excursions, etc. etc.

But they DID save several thousand dollars by outsourcing their IT development and web design, front and back end.

for any UK people reading this I booked IV  lowest one through a TA online  (out of hrs and price of total cabin price  £1345 for 2 people with drinks package and $300 was to good to risk waiting until morning) then phoned TA first thing next day and they contacted celebrity and we got bumped up to top IV cat. so actually got up a few cats within the IV balconies

1 hour ago, hiccups said:

I was just looking at Edge deck plans today using the "ships" drop down menu.  Has that not been working for you?

Thank you for your help.  Following your post, I tried a booking on another cruise, one I'm not interested in, just to see what would happen.  The deck plan did come up.  I guess they haven't updated the web site for the cruise I want which is in May 2022.  Maybe that explains it.  How do they expect to sell a cabin on that cruise?  Fortunately I have a link to the German site which is outstanding.  Just to tell you, the other day I requested a change of cabin on another Celebrity cruise and got it.  I immediately went to the German site and, lo and behold, my old cabin was showing as available and the one I changed to, taken!!  That's what I call service.  I wish I could post the link here.

• Like 1

Trying to book a cruise today and get a 2A for the price of a 2B.  Agent says that is excluded from the list?  I can get a 2B for the price of a 2C.  I think he is wrong.  Anyone out there know if there has been a change? 

37 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Trying to book a cruise today and get a 2A for the price of a 2B.  Agent says that is excluded from the list?  I can get a 2B for the price of a 2C.  I think he is wrong.  Anyone out there know if there has been a change? 

From https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll#Terms:

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

Seems like the agent may have mixed up 1B (excluded on Edge) and 2B?

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Don't use the Celebrity website.  It is designed to confuse you by picking a cabin and then finding out the price and the category.

Virtually all 3rd party websites will show you the cabin availability by category.

Even better, find a good brick and mortar TA!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheBluWho said:

Know any?

Hint, met on New England cruise and headed out for British Isles in May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why yes I do? :classic_biggrin:

Did you change your screen name?

Jim

15 hours ago, TeaBag said:

There has to be some benefits from spending so much time on CC!!

Once you get past some of the flame throwing that goes on, there are so many benefits to this site ...

- Info on best cabin choices

- Money saving tips 

- Excursion ideas 

- Best onboard shows and events 

- Best food options 

- Ways to avoid crowds 

Etc, etc, etc ....

• Like 1

We most often book A2 and keep it as we don't like the location of the A1s on S-Class ships, even if it would be a "free" upgrade. On Edge we "used" the upgrade to A1 and on another occasion the C3 to C2 bump.

As long as you like the location of the upgrade cabin, it can be a nice thing.

I always book a C3 and upgrade at a later date. And as you will find out, there is never a definitive answer when it comes to Celebrity policies. I've upgraded three times for a hump during Christmas cruises. If I book directly with Celebrity then I will call them multiple times until I get the answer I want. This last cruise, I went through a TA and had them upgrade me with no problems.

There is a difference between paying for upgrades and receiving the Captain's Club benefit.  I would be surprised if they let you use the benefit multiple times on the same booking. And the Captain's Club benefit is not supposed to be applicable during Christmas cruises.