Heathrow connection time

The vital thing you need to know is if you have got to change terminals. BA will almost certainly go to T5. If your onward flight is with BA, that will also almost certainly leave from T5, but if you have to 'travel', that could easily take 30mins or more. If the Chicago flight is late, you are going to miss the Rome flight and don't forget, your luggage has got to make the switch between flights too. I'd want at least a 3 hr window, even using the same terminal.

Simon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Anyone know if 1 1/2 hours is enough time to allow to transfer from a BA flight from Chicago to a connecting flight to Rome?

If you are booked on one ticket (ie not two separate reservations) you'll be fine. I just had a flight from Berlin to LHR connecting on to Philadelphia, all on BA, and had less than an hour. Upon arrival we parked at a remote stand, got bussed into T5. You go through the "Flight Connections" door-- if you have TSA Pre you get to go through expedited connections. 

From there you may, or may not, have to go through additional security-- I had to but I was also headed to the US instead of another EU country. I literally had to run for this flight connection but it was doable in about 45 minutes at a very healthy walking clip. 

As the other posted said-- as long as its the same airline, in the same terminal, with no delays you should be ok. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, sellwingri said:

Anyone know if 1 1/2 hours is enough time to allow to transfer from a BA flight from Chicago to a connecting flight to Rome?

The last time we arrived at Heathrow the passport/immigration process took over an hour after the long walk to get there.  In my experience arriving from the US and transferring to another European flight as a US citizen, 2 hours is the minimum time I accept.  If Brexit happens before you travel, who knows!

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

The last time we arrived at Heathrow the passport/immigration process took over an hour after the long walk to get there.  In my experience arriving from the US and transferring to another European flight as a US citizen, 2 hours is the minimum time I accept.  If Brexit happens before you travel, who knows!

There’s no need to pass through the border if connecting from an international flight to another international flight. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 7:32 AM, 81Zoomie said:

We flew in from Seattle to LHR and we figured 1.5  hours would be fine to get to our flight to Rome.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! What a nightmare. We nearly missed our flight; we did not dawdle anywhere.

But we made it. We had to calm down our 75 year old Aunt so she did not mouth off to the" lovely"

TSA crew while they unpacked and re-packed our carry on bags. Good grief! They were really fine.

Our Aunt wanted to tell them that her socks were getting filthy on their carpet. 😂

Currently BA flights from ORD and to FCO are in Terminal 5. 
Just make sure your flight from Chicago isn’t operated by AA but with a BA flight number as this will operate into T3. 
Process is the same - follow connection signs to your relevant terminal, go through security then on to gates. If transferring T3-T5 then there is a bus transfer as well. 

If transferring T5-T5 then look at the connecting flights screen when you get off the plane. If you arrive at satellite B or C and your flight is departing from the same then you can do security in the satellite. If it’s not listed then you have to take a shuttle to the main terminal. 

just follow the signs and you’ll be fine. 

16 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

If transferring T5-T5 then look at the connecting flights screen when you get off the plane. If you arrive at satellite B or C and your flight is departing from the same then you can do security in the satellite. If it’s not listed then you have to take a shuttle to the main terminal.

This is a good tip.

In addition, if you arrive at T5C, and your onward flight departs from T5B, you should be able to take the transit one stop to T5B. Go up to security and clear there. (Or you can use the walkway to walk to T5B.)

If you arrive at T5B and your onward flight departs from T5C, you should be able to do something similar. However, you will have to take the lift down to level -4 and walk from T5B to T5C before going up to security. You can't take the transit from T5B to T5C until after you have cleared security.