Australia Burning

No username

16 minutes ago, No username said:

Are cruise lines altering their routes, ports, or excursions due to the Australian fires?

Not that I have seen, maybe any stops at Eden may need to be skipped.

The major ports aren't currently affected by the fires although there can be smoke pollution on some days. 

It is possible that excursions could be cancelled, particularly up to the Blue Mountains from Sydney as there are several big fires burning in that region. 

I did a short cruise from Sydney ti New Caledonia last month, when the fires from north of Sydney up to Queensland were quite intense.  Smoke haze was visible on the first and last days while travelling along the coast but the air around the ship seemed fresh enough - I'm very sensitive to smoke pollution and would have been coughing otherwise.

14 hours ago, No username said:

Thank you, GUT2407 and OzKiwiJJ.  Hoping that things will improve, not just for our February cruise, but especially for the people and wildlife of Australia.  I also hope people will update this thread regularly.

There are threads running in the Australia & New Zealand Cruisers forum and also in the Aus/NZ Ports of Call forum. Those are the best places to check for updates or post requests for information.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:48 PM, No username said:

Are cruise lines altering their routes, ports, or excursions due to the Australian fires?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:06 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are threads running in the Australia & New Zealand Cruisers forum and also in the Aus/NZ Ports of Call forum. Those are the best places to check for updates or post requests for information.

16 hours ago, No username said:

Thank you OzKiwiJJ.  I am new to Cruise Critic and was not sure how to negotiate my way around.  Will look for those forums.

Howdy @No username and welcome to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Australia & New Zealand forum where it will be on-topic.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for all cruisers, whether new or experienced, and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about.   Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there that will be helpful. You will find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on any forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry. It will help the members to have the information they need in order to help you.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

On 1/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, No username said:

Over the last couple days stops at Kangaroo Island and Eden have been cancelled. However, things can change quickly, and by the time I'm in Australia (arrive Jan. 29) things could be totally different. I understand that about half of Kangaroo Island has been wiped out - it's just tragic. 

Jamie

3 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Over the last couple days stops at Kangaroo Island and Eden have been cancelled. However, things can change quickly, and by the time I'm in Australia (arrive Jan. 29) things could be totally different. I understand that about half of Kangaroo Island has been wiped out - it's just tragic. 

Jamie

Jamie, not half of the island but a third which is still too much. It is horrendous, more than 50 homes have been destroyed and an incredible amount of our wildlife have been lost. I would think, as long as there isn't any more fire on Kangaroo Island, that is as soon as possible ships and tourists will be elcomed back as the tourism industry is so important to the Island's economy. Eden will be the same. If it is not viable to visit, the cruise companies will find other ports for their ships to visit.

Leigh

On 1/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, possum52 said:

Jamie, not half of the island but a third which is still too much. It is horrendous, more than 50 homes have been destroyed and an incredible amount of our wildlife have been lost. I would think, as long as there isn't any more fire on Kangaroo Island, that is as soon as possible ships and tourists will be elcomed back as the tourism industry is so important to the Island's economy. Eden will be the same. If it is not viable to visit, the cruise companies will find other ports for their ships to visit.

Leigh

Almost half of the island, 215,000 hectares, was burnt.  It stretched from the National Park in the West towards Kingscote, the main town, in the East.  People recently evacuated from the centre to Kingscote, on the beach, in the middle of the night.  Now is not the time for tourists, but the time for recovery of one of the most beautiful islands in Australia.  Famous for its National Park, wildlife, seals, koalas and birds.  

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Almost half of the island, 215,000 hectares, was burnt.  It stretched from the National Park in the West towards Kingscote, the main town, in the East.  People recently evacuated from the centre to Kingscote, on the beach, in the middle of the night.  Now is not the time for tourists, but the time for recovery of one of the most beautiful islands in Australia.  Famous for its National Park, wildlife, seals, koalas and birds.  

Yes you are correct, but when I wrote the reply you quoted, the figure being given in the media was a third of the island. The fires on Friday burnt even more of the land. Tourists will not be allowed back on the island until it is safe and the communities are ready for them to resume visiting. It is now worse than when I wrote my post and I do agree that the island has to recover. But it is also fact that the KI communities rely on tourism for a large part of their economy along with agriculture which I believe has been severly damaged during these fires. 

The destruction of the wildlife on Kangaroo Island is horrendous and the island will take many years to recover if ever. 

Leigh

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes you are correct, but when I wrote the reply you quoted, the figure being given in the media was a third of the island. The fires on Friday burnt even more of the land. Tourists will not be allowed back on the island until it is safe and the communities are ready for them to resume visiting. It is now worse than when I wrote my post and I do agree that the island has to recover. But it is also fact that the KI communities rely on tourism for a large part of their economy along with agriculture which I believe has been severly damaged during these fires. 

The destruction of the wildlife on Kangaroo Island is horrendous and the island will take many years to recover if ever. 

Leigh

Yes, it was a third following the original fire.  I have been following closely as I love that island and planned another visit in Spring.  The destruction of the wildlife is so sad.  It is one of the few places in Australia where you could stay in the National Park and spot koalas in trees in the wild.  My daughter sent a list of six small charities, which are helping the wildlife, to my girlfriend in New York.  

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, it was a third following the original fire.  I have been following closely as I love that island and planned another visit in Spring.  The destruction of the wildlife is so sad.  It is one of the few places in Australia where you could stay in the National Park and spot koalas in trees in the wild.  My daughter sent a list of six small charities, which are helping the wildlife, to my girlfriend in New York.  

I do hope the wildlife charities in the other states are receiving donations as it appears WIRES is receiving the majority of donations. I have donated to Wildlife Victoria. 

Leigh

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I do hope the wildlife charities in the other states are receiving donations as it appears WIRES is receiving the majority of donations. I have donated to Wildlife Victoria. 

Leigh

The small charities my daughter recommended to my NY friend were -

• Animal Rescue Collective
  • Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park
  • Koalas in Care
  • Zoos Victoria Bushfire Wildlife Fund
  • Australia Zoo Wildlife Fund (has treated 90,000 animals since bushfire season)
  • plus Wires (raised 13 million, which they are sharing throughout Aust wildlife organisations affected by bush fires)

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The small charities my daughter recommended to my NY friend were -

• Animal Rescue Collective
  • Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park
  • Koalas in Care
  • Zoos Victoria Bushfire Wildlife Fund
  • Australia Zoo Wildlife Fund (has treated 90,000 animals since bushfire season)
  • plus Wires (raised 13 million, which they are sharing throughout Aust wildlife organisations affected by bush fires)

All very worthwhile charities to donate to. 

Leigh