Westerdam currently in drydock

BermudaBound2014

39 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

Would be FANTASTIC!  But where??

I’m on board in April.  

I don’t think you are going to see that happen, sorry.

Tamarind needs it’s own kitchen and Vista class is not big enough to do it.

We were on Westerdam fall 2018, the plan then was to have Tamarind nights a few times in Pinnacle Grill was supposed to start on our cruise but was advised the Tamarind chef (was coming in from Koningsdam) experienced a delay in getting Chinese visa so was supposed to be offered on the next cruise after us.  We were on Vancouver to Shanghai.  This dry docked now in Shanghai was scheduled for “mechanical upgrades” Westerdam had been dry docked just before our cruise in fall 2018, for “inside”, upgraded tv’s, under closet lightening at night en route to washroom, anyhow the ship inside areas in great shape, we were on for 28 days and due for 37 days this fall 2020.  Didn’t meet a dam ship I didn’t like.

• Like 1

We will be getting on board when she gets out of dry dock in Singapore on Jan 16th so we can see what is new besides carpets and fresh paint .After all of our cruises with HAL this will be our first time on the Westerdam and she will be taking us after 44 days to Shanghai , looking forward to it ! 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We will be getting on board when she gets out of dry dock in Singapore on Jan 16th so we can see what is new besides carpets and fresh paint .After all of our cruises with HAL this will be our first time on the Westerdam and she will be taking us after 44 days to Shanghai , looking forward to it ! 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

Happy new year and happy cruising for you and Martha Tony, we will be on board not long after you, end of March, no doubt Westerdam is something to look forward to. Have a nice cruise!

• Thanks 1

We got off the Westerdam this past weekend in Singapore and during a question/answer with the Captain, was told that it would be routine maintenance to the engines and new mattresses, bedding etc.  There were a 'boatload' of contracted workers boarding when we exited the ship!  For the most part, the interior of the ship is in good shape.  The MainStage seats were a little frayed, but it wasn't mentioned if those would be reupholstered. From talking to staff on board, it sounds like they will get some well deserved downtime during these two weeks as well.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

Zuiderdam hotel manager told us last July that the plans were to add room mid ship, similar to signature class, for the Tamirand and move the HAL Club downstairs to less pricey real estate areas. 

Anything new, confirmed or real about this??

10 hours ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Anything new, confirmed or real about this??

The Vista Class vessels will not get a dedicated Tamarind restaurant. At least not until a major structural change will take place.

Several reasons make the installation very difficult (read costly).

11 minutes ago, fpat said:

Hello All

I was following this as we will be sailing the Westerdam March of 21.   On the Website it lists Tamarind as one of the dining venues so I was a little confused if it will be on the ship or not? 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-westerdam/5.html 

Indeed you link mentions Tamarind. As far as my knowlege goes and earlier mentioned, there is no Tamarind.

On our upcomming sailing on Westerdam, also in March, specialty dining only lists options for Canaletto, Pinnacle, Rudi's Sel de Mer (one night only) and Taste of de Librije (one night only).

During Asia sailings, it could be that they have  " taste of Tamarind menu"  in the Pinnacle, we had this on Volendam in Asia.

Edited by Alphen

Just a note to those doing any of the Asian sailing that stop in Thailand:  Starting Jan. 1, 2020, they are banning single-use plastic bags at major stores.  They want to have all banned by 2021, and also styrofoam packaging, plastic cups, and straws by 2022.   Thailand is a major offender of dumping garbage into the ocean, so it is good to see them trying to clean up their act.

So, it may be prudent to pack a little foldable nylon shopping bag to help do your part!   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alphen said:

Indeed you link mentions Tamarind. As far as my knowlege goes and earlier mentioned, there is no Tamarind.

On our upcomming sailing on Westerdam, also in March, specialty dining only lists options for Canaletto, Pinnacle, Rudi's Sel de Mer (one night only) and Taste of de Librije (one night only).

During Asia sailings, it could be that they have  " taste of Tamarind menu"  in the Pinnacle, we had this on Volendam in Asia.

The web page says the Tamarind is going in.  Where will it go?  One thought would be to move the Classical Lincoln Center stage over to the Queens Lounge and share with the BB King shows.

9 hours ago, fpat said:

Hello All

I was following this as we will be sailing the Westerdam March of 21.   On the Website it lists Tamarind as one of the dining venues so I was a little confused if it will be on the ship or not? 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-westerdam/5.html 

I don't see mention of Tamarind on the link you posted above -- where did you see it?

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't see mention of Tamarind on the link you posted above -- where did you see it?

Go to the link, scroll down to the dinning options, there are eight listed venues and one is the Tamarind.

Edited by billbunger

28 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks!  I saw the text that said "1 of 3" and stupidly thought it was referring to the "3" options shown above it. Didn't realize you could scroll to the side....  Duh!

7 hours ago, Himself said:

The web page says the Tamarind is going in.  Where will it go?  One thought would be to move the Classical Lincoln Center stage over to the Queens Lounge and share with the BB King shows.

On the current deck plans, no Tamarind is visible, guess we have wait and see how she emerges from dry-dock next week. Westerdam is known to be test platform for many changes, so would not be surprised if she emerges from dry-dock with Tamarind somewhere. 

On the other hand, based on popularity of Tamarind, one would expect this change to be more out in the open on HAL (blog?) and as said, I do not see the dining option listed for Tamarind on our upcoming Westerdam cruise in March/April.

I am on the Westerdam May 2020 & I hope this is true in that the Tamarind is put in. It is kinda answered but the HAL site when you look at your booking does show it as one of the dinning options. Not sure if that is true all their ships. this is our first HAL cruise. Been on 6 with Princess.