Peanut Butter Sandwiches

PhotoGal07

4 minutes ago, darkpixie08 said:

Weird question of the day:  Are the peanut butter & jelly sandwiches that are available on Princess the pre-made uncrustable type, or could we ask them to hold them jam for a picky child?

I am sure they would be happy to accommodate such a simple request.

I was on Star Princess the last two weeks and they had PB&J on the room service menu.   I ordered one and they were handmade and they even cut the crust off of the bread.     You can certainly ask them to hold the Jelly/Jam.  

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Hmmn, reading this makes me want a good ol PBJ bout right now.  Might have to get a late night snack and it is all your fault!

After our very first cruise (Western Mediterranean), the one thing DW missed she said was peanut butter and jelly.

• Haha 1

We were just on the Sky in December and never saw pre-made sandwiches. The only time one could find "regular" slices of bread and peanut butter and jelly was at breakfast. the bread was problematic because it was behind the counter so it could be toasted. You might be able to ask for some plain slices at breakfast but not at lunch. All the breakfast food is put away during lunch service.  If your child is a picky eater I'm not sure what you could do. They did serve mac  'n cheese and chicken nuggets at lunch most of the time. They do have some pre-made sandwiches at the International Cafe but they were on rolls or specialty baked breads and were mostly salad type sandwiches (tuna, chicken and egg).

Edited by rhblake

9 hours ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I was on Star Princess the last two weeks and they had PB&J on the room service menu.   I ordered one and they were handmade and they even cut the crust off of the bread.     You can certainly ask them to hold the Jelly/Jam.  

My Gram always said if you eat the crusts, you will grow curls in your hair.  I am still waiting.

20 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

My Gram always said if you eat the crusts, you will grow curls in your hair.  I am still waiting.

That’s cute.   I am still waiting too.    I actually like the crust.  I was surprised that they cut the crust off, seems wasteful.    My husband ordered a club sandwich and they cut off his crust as well.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

Really, for something that would take no more than a minute to make?  That really surprises me.

At lunch one day on Emerald Princess, in the dining room ... I asked for a side salad.

The waiter went away, and came back and told me the chef said I had to order 1 day in advance.

I was surprised, too.

I asked him for the name of the person in the galley who refused.   They used to have these

"let us know" forms at the pursers desk for when you encountered a problem.   And, I

wanted to let them know!

This caused a couple head waiters to go to the galley, but they all refused to tell me who denied the salad.

When I went to leave the dining room, there were 3 head waiters sort of blocking my exit...

They wanted to confirm that I was "Mr XXX from Baja 704"

I told them, not even close, and continued on my way.

A side salad it a special request?   What a joke.

A couple nights later, the maitre d' came by and apologized.

I think it would have been a lot easier to just make a side salad.

Now, one of the lunch options is half-a-sandwich and a salad,

so I would be able to order that, and throw the sandwich away.

I would hardly be surprised if the mom had to order PB & J, and then scrape off the

unwanted ingredient...

Edited by pablo222

35 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

At lunch one day on Emerald Princess, in the dining room ... I asked for a side salad.

The waiter went away, and came back and told me the chef said I had to order 1 day in advance.

I was surprised, too.

I asked him for the name of the person in the galley who refused.   They used to have these

"let us know" forms at the pursers desk for when you encountered a problem.   And, I

wanted to let them know!

This caused a couple head waiters to go to the galley, but they all refused to tell me who denied the salad.

When I went to leave the dining room, there were 3 head waiters sort of blocking my exit...

I would hardly be surprised if the mom had to order PB & J, and then scrape off the

unwanted ingredient...

It kind of sounds like they are just trying to discourage any special requests.  I would not be surprised at this in the MDR, but for a peanut butter sandwich in the buffet, for a child's request, it is ridiculous.  

40 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

I was surprised, too.

wanted to let them know!

unwanted ingredient...

Do you think they were deliberately trying to intimidate you?  That would have made me angry I think, and all for a little side salad,  which would have cost them next to nothing, money wise, and time wise too.

51 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

I would not be surprised at this in the MDR, but for a peanut butter sandwich in the buffet, for a child's request, it is ridiculous.  

The problem is there is no sandwich station in the buffet so there are no people to make any kind of sandwich for you. If you want a sandwich you must gather the ingredients (no peanut butter is out and available at lunch) and the rolls or baked bread (no regular loaf bread) and take it to your table and make it yourself. This comment pertains to the Sky Princess.

Edited by rhblake

26 minutes ago, rhblake said:

The problem is there is no sandwich station in the buffet so there are no people to make any kind of sandwich for you. If you want a sandwich you must gather the ingredients (no peanut butter is out and available at lunch) and the rolls or baked bread (no regular loaf bread) and take it to your table and make it yourself. This comment pertains to the Sky Princess.

Ah, thank you, I understand what you mean.  I have not been on the Sky.

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

Do you think they were deliberately trying to intimidate you?

Not so much intimidate me, as much as try and cover  up, so no negative report got back to the maitre d' and food and beverage director.

I've seen plates piled high with PB&J sandwiches. The time I saw this , there were also bags outside every elevator, pools drained and outside decks closed. Seas were 28' feet and it was blowing and rocking. Having grown up fishing in the Hawaiian Islands on small boats, Ive learned the best thing to eat in severe weather was PB&J sandwiches. As Uncle Chico taught us " Boys they taste the same going down as they do coming up". Less acid in your stomach, so you can keep eating and drinking. He drank Oly, couldn't figure out why he didn't puke just from drinking that.

• Haha 1

Even in the buffet if you want something not out ask staff in charge, have found they are happy to make if available.   My HB  likes tuna sandwiches, if not available I have asked to have some special made, not problem. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Even in the buffet if you want something not out ask staff in charge, have found they are happy to make if available.   My HB  likes tuna sandwiches, if not available I have asked to have some special made, not problem. 

I had a feeling this might be the case, especially if a child is involved.

• Like 1

Our daughter was 22 months when we last had her on a cruise.  She was into pretty basic foods.  Any kind of bread product, selected fruits that were popable, like grapes, and anything else that you could stab with a fork to eat.  At dinner she was into anything that was chicken and potatoes.  It was super easy in the MDR to get them to put up a chicken strip, some fries, and some chopped fruit.  None of what we ordered for her was explicitly on the menu, but the dining room was happy to prepare it.  I would think PB&J or just PB or just J would be easy to put together.  I can make one for my daughter today in about 2 minutes.

• Like 2