What is a Cunarder?

JT1101

I have been thinking a bit about something that to me sets Cunard apart from any of the other lines - it has its own subculture. 

Cunard's repeat rate (percentage of passengers who return to sail with them again) is fantastically high. And not only are there a large body of guests who have sailed Cunard for years there is a growing group where they sail Cunard, their parents sailed Cunard and so on. I was at the World Club cocktail party (where they were very gracious to have things a teetotaler could drink) and when I did some quick head math of the number of repeat guests as a percentage of the total passenger count (we sailed full as usual) it was impressive. 

So, what is this subculture? What is a Cunarder? Not a magazine (couldn't resist). Not an incentive program - I don't think World Club is incentive enough for the kind of repeat rate Cunard enjoys. 

I think that Cunarders as a group have some commonalities. For one, we tend to be "ship buffs" more than your average cruiser. There is also a sense of camaraderie on Cunard ships where the guests know the crew and the crew know the guests. It is actually interesting how the crew manages to both keep a semiformal approach while still having that "Cunard" kind of chumminess. I also think Cunarders as a group enjoy the history and traditions of Cunard. I've been on four transatlantic crossings and already there are crew who know me and I know them. 

So, what do you think a Cunarder is? 

• Like 2

I think you are on target that Cunarders tend to be ship buffs more than your average cruiser and especially enjoy the history and traditions of Cunard. At least I know I've become a budding ship buff after hearing talks by Bill Miler on several occasions and Chris Frame on my most recent crossing. The Cunard slogan promoting "the new golden age of ocean travel" is admittedly as much marketing fluff as reality. However, there is enough to that slogan in practice that keeps us coming back to Cunard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the ship buff side, when I sailed my first trip in 2016 one of the days the Programme noted that Stephen Payne was aboard and giving talks on the design of Queen Mary 2 among other things. We had a pretty good Cunard Insights lineup but (humorously) when their talks conflicted with Stephen Payne their attendance dropped and all of Stephen Payne's sessions were jam packed. 

1 hour ago, JT1101 said:

So, what do you think a Cunarder is? 

Well, to anyone who has sailed for more than a handful of years the answer is a ship.

It’s only in the last few years that it has been used to refer to the passengers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well, to anyone who has sailed for more than a handful of years the answer is a ship.

It’s only in the last few years that it has been used to refer to the passengers.

Oh I know well that the term Cunarder for Cunard ships goes back pretty much to the beginnings of the line. As to the subculture it has been around for a long time as well, but the naming of it as Cunarder is harder to pin down. I know QE2 sailers who have used the term and have heard the term was used by passengers of the original Queen Mary. 

7 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Agreed, originally it was a ship of the Cunard line, but the term was applied to me recently ("you're a real Cunarder") , which threw me a bit until I realized what was meant.

Back to the OP.  Great question. I think to be a "Cunarder" in the human sense, means to be someone who values the transatlantic crossing and the more traditional ways of ocean travel, even as applied to cruising.  It's a bit about  being a traditionalist, appreciating moving more slowly through the world, and experiencing the beauty of the sea and sky in all their manifestations.  I would also add, it's someone who is a bit formal, thinks that being attired to match the beauty of a ship is an appropriate thing to do, and someone who is probably a bit more cerebral and apt to entertain themselves more than needing organized entertainment.  I would also add that a "Cunarder" has a sense of history of the who, what and how that has come before in terms of ocean travel between Europe and North America.  Thus, they can provide their own "augmented reality" to any voyage by being able to see (feel even?) the layers and layers of human, cultural and technological history that Cunard in general, and Queen Mary 2 in particular, represents.   

To be a "Cunarder" probably also means to be in an older demographic (I'm 58), as for many people, it takes a few spins around the planet to acquire the values, insights and passions I mentioned above.  My first crossing was at the age of 20, but I was a ship buff from childhood, so I was lucky to start my crossing career relatively early. 

Valuing continuity is another element to being a "Cunarder"  I thrill to the idea that we are well into the 21st Century and there is *still* a gorgeous Cunarder in express service between New York and Southampton.  This is something to be very grateful for indeed!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think Cunarder's also have a sense of "style" and like to dress for dinner.  

As my cruise cruise was on QE2 in 1991, I think I qualify as a Cunarder.

Yes I am a ship buff, but I don't know if that is cause or effect.  

• Like 1

I'm no ship buff, but I can appreciate beauty and superb service when I see it. We've been on only one TA, but we'll never use a non-Cunard line again. Intelligent entertainment, extraordinary staff training that results in staff who seem genuinely happy to provide excellent service, beautiful surroundings and an absence of snobbery in most traveling companions despite superior surroundings—all of that combined has made us instant Cunarders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

I'm no ship buff, but I can appreciate beauty and superb service when I see it. We've been on only one TA, but we'll never use a non-Cunard line again. Intelligent entertainment, extraordinary staff training that results in staff who seem genuinely happy to provide excellent service, beautiful surroundings and an absence of snobbery in most traveling companions despite superior surroundings—all of that combined has made us instant Cunarders.

Give it time; we’ll make a ship buff out of you!

My DW and I consider ourselves to be Cunarders with our dedication to the Cunard Line and the Ships we have sailed on. The Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Caronia which we did most of our sailing on. As said in the previously posting, the Crew and Staff are like Family.

We are interestingly still in contact with two wonderful staff members retired that was a Social Hostess and a Waitress in the Columbia Restaurant. How wonderful to be able to still communicate with them now as friends but still respect there past service.

And how we look forward to Sailing on the Queen Mary 2 as our Flag Ship. Once again we look forward to Crew & Staff that we meet on board. We do wish the Victoria and Elizabeth was more accessible to us here but maybe one day we will enjoy those ships

We consider those that sail on a Cunard ships after the second time as a Cunarders. And those first time sailors as Newbies.

We personally know many Newbies that after their first sailing are automatic repeaters soon to return on board. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

Hi,

This is an interesting thread. I started sailing with Cunard in 1984 - a five-night transatlantic crossing on the QE2. I eventually sailed on the QE2 seven times and have also sailed on the Queen Mary 2 seven times. In addition, I have sailed aboard the Queen Victoria twice and the current Queen Elizabeth once. In the 1990s, I cruised on the Sagafjord and Vistafjord. In late April 2020, I will be sailing with Cunard for the 20th time (on the Queen Victoria). I also have visited (and stayed aboard) the original Queen Mary in Long Beach several times. After I retire from work, I certainly hope to sail on a Cunard world cruise. 

I am a big ocean liner fan and love the sense of history and tradition on the Cunard ships. In particular, I greatly enjoy the ocean liner items and artwork displayed throughout the ships. My favorite activities are the excellent lectures and afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I think the Queens Room on the Queen Mary 2 is the most beautiful public room at sea. I also enjoy talking to the other passengers. They usually are very interesting and love to discuss ships and travel.

In the late 1990s (prior to the acquisition by Carnival Corp.) the future of Cunard was uncertain. I am grateful that Cunard has survived and operates such wonderful ships in a grand style.

Chuck

• Like 1

Good question.  In 2011 we did a southern transatlantic cruise with Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed it but after a few days in Miami and then New York I can still remember the excitement and wonderment as the taxi approached Red Hook and we saw the QM2 for the first time. The whole experience was just 'something else' and 4 further crossings and 1 cruise on the Queen Elizabeth have done nothing to dull the anticipation.

Our only regret is that we are late to the party and that ill health has curtailed any plans over the last 14 months.  

We have a lot of catching up to do.

Interesting answers so far. We echo the thoughts of ClipperSFO

13 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Quote: I think to be a "Cunarder" in the human sense, means to be someone who values the transatlantic crossing and the more traditional ways of ocean travel, even as applied to cruising.  It's a bit about  being a traditionalist, appreciating moving more slowly through the world, and experiencing the beauty of the sea and sky in all their manifestations.  I would also add, it's someone who is a bit formal, thinks that being attired to match the beauty of a ship is an appropriate thing to do, and someone who is probably a bit more cerebral and apt to entertain themselves more than needing organized entertainment.  I would also add that a "Cunarder" has a sense of history of the who, what and how that has come before in terms of ocean travel between Europe and North America.  Thus, they can provide their own "augmented reality" to any voyage by being able to see (feel even?) the layers and layers of human, cultural and technological history that Cunard in general, and Queen Mary 2 in particular, represents.   

For myself I wonder if it is something to do with the availability of the transatlantic crossings that keep us coming back. Are there many people who regularly sail Cunard but don't do/enjoy the TA? We've mainly done TA ourselves,  though we did honeymoon on Queen Elizabeth in 2018 and enjoyed that experience too. I think the dinner formality is one of the key things  that makes the line feel so special - it feels like people mean it rather than just playing at dress up as on other lines (I should say our only other cruise experience was P&O Ventura and we had nothing to compare that to - outside the local pub 🙂so thought it was nice dressing up on that) We have no cruise or crossing booked at the moment as we have a long planned trip to see friends in Australia that we're looking forward to but are both starting to feel quite edgy about needing a Cunard fix and I think that craving for all that the line offers is what makes a Cunarder of the human variety 🙂 

14 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Good point, what do you think we should call Cunard enthusiasts - Cunardists ? Cunarderphiles ? Both pretty unwieldy.

The original question was a great one and I agree with most of the answers given. We were first attracted to Cunard because we wanted to sail on QE2 for a one off experience but we keep coming back (usually for cruises) because we loved it so much. We've tried other cruise lines but there has always been something missing so we keep coming back.

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

I Vote for Cunarder!

• I am a Cunarder,
  • I like being a Cunarder,
  • I am a practicing Cunarder,
  • I enjoy being a Cunarder,
  • We enjoying sailing as Cunarder,
  • Introducing myself as a Cunarder,
  • Enjoy welcoming newbie's as Cunarder'.

Hello and have a Good Day my Fellow Cunarder's

• Like 2

Being a Cunarder is entering any Cunard ship and uttering a sigh of relief as the beauty and atmosphere of calm luxury engulfs you. Cunard Eros feel stress slipping away as they find their favourite spot in the ship. It’s enjoying a more formal atmosphere with great friendly professional service and great food that doesn’t include meatloaf or jerk chicken. You will probably not find drunken passengers in shorts arguing and fighting in the bars.

pits just great to be on board a Cunard ship!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 4:47 AM, wenlyn said:

For myself I wonder if it is something to do with the availability of the transatlantic crossings that keep us coming back. Are there many people who regularly sail Cunard but don't do/enjoy the TA? 

Interesting question you ask.  In my case it's definitely the TA's that make me addicted to Cunard.  Case in point, I have a big birthday coming up in May next year.  There are several options of how to mark the occasion, but a few weeks ago I chose a 4 day trip on QE from SH to Cherbourg and Zebrugge, with a sea day on my actual birthday.  My DH and I were at dinner one night soon after I made the booking, and he said:  "Come on, you know the whole time you'd just be pretending to be on QM2 mid-Atlantic but you'd really be on a cruise ship in the English channel".  He had a valid point (as he often does), so the next day I switched our booking to an EB QM2 sailing NY to SH: Real liner, big ocean, so on my birthday dinner we will be in black tie in the Verandah mid-Atlantic. Perfection. Fingers crossed it actually goes ahead.

So with apologies and no offense intended to all the fans of QE and QV and the cruises they make, I guess we are just hard core TA people.  However, If (when?) once we're both retired with a bit more time and we do opt for a cruise, it would definitely be on Cunard.  

26 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

".  He had a valid point (as he often does), so the next day I switched our booking to an EB QM2 sailing NY to SH: Real liner, big ocean, so on my birthday dinner we will be in black tie in the Verandah mid-Atlantic. Perfection. Fingers crossed it actually goes ahead.

So with apologies and no offense intended to all the fans of QE and QV and the cruises they make, I guess we are just hard core TA people.  However, If (when?) once we're both retired with a bit more time and we do opt for a cruise, it would definitely be on Cunard.  

That sounds like a perfectly lovely way to spend your birthday. I too think/hope that retirement will bring more opportunities for a wider range of Cunard offerings

• Like 1

I once read a description of a Cunarder as someone who spends half of the time complaining about the voyage and the rest of the time planning their next one. 

This certainly hasn't been my experience, but I thought I'd pass it along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A Cunarder - well in my book anyway- is a ship buff who loves the ambience and the nod to the Golden Age of Oceancrossing Cunard represents. A nod- nothing more nothing less.

All ship buff´s - like me- might end up on board one of the Cunarders. Even though QV and QE are more like cruise ships dressep up as Oceanliners- they still are totaly different experience then that on board ships with the same hull which sail for other lines.

Cunard, of course,  is not everybody´s kind of shoe  and for families with little kids or teenagers they absolutley the wrong ship- the wrong line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mickb said:

It’s enjoying a more formal atmosphere with great friendly professional service and great food that doesn’t include meatloaf or jerk chicken. You will probably not find drunken passengers in shorts arguing and fighting in the bars.

Ditto Mickb.....

Also not finding Beer Belly Whopping in the Pool and Buckets of Beer beside Sun Deck Lounge Chairs.