Different types of OBC?

I am in the process of booking a cruise with RC and have some agencies bidding against each other with onboard credit. 

Now I was under the impression I could use this in my Royal Caribbean account online to purchase a drink package for example. I did so in the past when booking with OBC directly with RC. 

But apparently I can't do this with the OBC from the agent. So can someone explain to me how this works? When will I get it and how can I use it? I can buy a drink package on ship but the price would be much higher. 

As indicated there are two types of OBC - refundable and non-refundable.  The cruise line sponsored OBC is non-refundable, but will appear on your cruise planner for use in advance of your departure date.  The refundable OBC is that typically offered by a third party, such as your travel agent.  That third party OBC will appear on your account by day 2 and cannot be used in advance of your departure date for purchases. If refundable and unused, however, it will be returned to you as a credit against the credit card used for your stateroom account (or cash if a cash account is used).

All OBC is applied indiscriminately against any and all purchases made against your stateroom account as they are made, with the non-refundable type applied first. (The only restriction is that it cannot be used as a deposit for a future cruise booked on board).  It is, as the name implies, a credit which is used to offset your stateroom account. You cannot specify how it is to be used as it is applied as purchases are made.  The exception would be if the travel agent OBC is specified by them when issued to be for a specific use, as for example a specialty dining venue, which is then applied by the cruise line specifically for that purchase.

I would check with the travel agents involved to confirm if theirs is refundable v non-refundable and issued as a general OBC v specific use.  My option would be to go with the refundable general OBC as the preference for the greater purchase flexibility and value.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On RCI TA OBC will show up in your account by Day 2, as others have said.

So it is not usable before the cruise for purchasing drink packages.

If that is what you want, you might ask the TAs if they would provide the drink package as part of the perks.  

The finer details of ShipBoard Credit (SBC, aka OBC) really depends on the cruise line. And if a particular cruise line allows its own non-refundable SBC to be used before embarkation, it will often automatically be used for pre-purchases such as tours.

OP: When it comes to a TA's refundable SBC, which seldom would appear in your onboard account pre-cruise, you may want to go ahead and pre-purchase your option ahead of time using a combination of your non-refundable cruise line SBC and a CC for the balance due. In that way, you benefit from any pre-cruise discounts, get FF points for the CC purchase and then (once onboard) your spending pattern may find you getting a cash refund of the TA refundable SBC (which, depending on that cruise line may only incur shipboard purchase charges after all non-refundable dollars have been expended.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The finer details of ShipBoard Credit (SBC, aka OBC) really depends on the cruise line.

Just to clarify for the OP, as they are referring to RCI, the previous three posts to yours accurately address the questions raised.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The OP is referring to RCI, to which the previous three posts to yours accurately address.

The OP, whose post title asked about "different types of OBC?" apparently didn't think through that, regardless of which cruise line, s/he can recoup the precruise credit card expenditure by collecting the TA refundable $ at the end of the cruise. 

In the probable reality that OP may consider multiple cruise lines for future trip purchases, it would be of greater benefit to understand the bigger picture of refundable/non-refundable SBC (more than just RCI).

Also, for RCI, pre-cruise purchases may be paid with none, some or all of your OBC, YOUR choice.

When you get to check out, there is a slider to indicate how much OBC you want to apply to this purchase.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

The OP, whose post title asked about "different types of OBC?" apparently didn't think through that, regardless of which cruise line, s/he can recoup the precruise credit card expenditure by collecting the TA refundable $ at the end of the cruise. 

In the probable reality that OP may consider multiple cruise lines for future trip purchases, it would be of greater benefit to understand the bigger picture of refundable/non-refundable SBC (more than just RCI).

Hmm, they posted in the RCI section and stated that they were looking at a cruise on RCI......

55 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

judging by the comments I'm thinking that this was posted in the "ask a cruise question" then just recently moved to the Royal boards.

AND, It's always interesting to read the "concrete thinking" post replies that disregard the usefulness of extrapolating for future considerations. OP will probably be looking at more than just RCI in the future.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

AND, It's always interesting to read the "concrete thinking" post replies that disregard the usefulness of extrapolating for future considerations. OP will probably be looking at more than just RCI in the future.

Except that things would get confusing very quickly if people started talking about OBC policies for half a dozen cruise lines all at once.  The OP asked about Royal specifically...best to keep it about Royal.