Underground/Upper Level Colosseum tours

lamb616

Hello,

We want to do this tour in July and I'm having some difficulty understanding how it works.  Are you able to go with your own tour guide or are the tickets you buy on the colosseum website (most confusing website ever) FOR a tour - provided by Colosseum employees?  Because you can't see the underground/upper levels without a tour, correct?

We have hired a tour co. to take us around for a private tour that day so we'll be picked up at the port, brought to where we want to go that day (which we haven't fully decided yet).  So from what I understood from the Colosseum website, I thought we would buy the tickets online for 25EU (or whatever the current  price is for the "Full Experience" tickets) and that is the cost for admission plus the 90 minute tour.   But in a recent email from the tour co. we hired to take us there, he stated we had to buy our admission tickets online, and then pay (the tour co.) like 140EUR for the tour guide.   

Am I confused?  (well....I know I'm confused, lol)  https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=D36B17ED-8EE9-E7C6-39F6-016ED55DF189&catalogid=FBC810DF-454C-1B93-6796-016F37949DF8&lang=en

I guess, in summary - is what you purchase online just the admission tickets and you have to arrange your own tour guide?

An admission ticket for the Colosseum is basically just admitting you to the site and the areas that are open to individuals. For access to the underground or upper levels, you will need to purchase a ticket for a tour to those areas. 

Where it gets confusing is that you can purchase the tour EITHER through the Colosseum (provided by their guides) or via some private tour operators.

I am not sure, based on what you've said, of the situation you are in with your tour company. If you just want them to drop you off at the Colosseum at the appointed time and then you take the tour via the official channel, that's one thing. If they are telling you to just purchase the admission ticket and then they will provide you with a guide (for a cost) that's something else.  As I think you can already see, it would be less expensive to book through the Colosseum for the admission + tour that you want. The only downside is that you will be part of a larger tour, not on a private tour with only you plus your guide.

So, to me the first step would be to clarify with your agency what they are proposing to offer versus you purchasing the admission + tour via the official outlet.

For more information on navigating the Colosseum ticketing process and descriptions of the various tours, see here:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k12543305-Colosseum_underground_belvedere_panoramic_tickets-Rome_Lazio.html

Edited by cruisemom42

We did the underground tour and the third level a couple of years ago. We purchased the ticket for the tour on line via the official govt website. We still had to queue up to go through security checks along with everyone else and if memory serves me correctly had to swap our entry ticket for a tour ticket just inside the main entrance. We started the tour going out onto the deck, then down to the floor of the Colliseum and finally up to the very top overlooking the Palatine. None of these three venues are available unless on the tour. I seem to recall the difference between the tour and entry was only about 10 euros , well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this has been discussed over and over!

We will be in Rome for two nights, pre-cruise.

I want to do the colosseum one day, and am thinking of very early entry to Sistine Chapel and Vatican on the other day.

We are not as interested in the underground Colosseum.

I am wondering if access to the main floor, or the highest levels, are really worth extra?

They enter onto the main floor thru that main gate. "Gate of Death".

I see video taken from the uppermost level, from one of the main private/small tour operators, overlooking Rome, and some of the Forum, etc.  and, that looks amazing.  

Let's just say I am more than a woman of a certain age.  I do a one-mile walk, here at home.  But, I don't know if I would be comfortable with a lot more than that.  How demanding are the steps to get up to the top level.

We could just pre-purchase our Colosseum tickets, and see the main public areas. 

But, I am ready to book with this tour company if the floor and the upper levels are worth it.

I also hope to avoid the much larger groups on the main official Colosseum tours.

Any personal input is appreciated?

Edited by Wishing on a star

We did the underground tour and by purchasing it on line for just a few extra Euros it was the difference between a visit to the Colesseum and a proper tour. Going to the base of the stadium one gets to see how the gladiators were brought up to the stadium and how they lived. Up to the third level one gets to look over the stadium and the Palatine. For most Rome is a one visit city, don't short change yourself. The steps take a little bit of effort but we were in our mid sixties when we did the tour and achieved it with little issues

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

We did the underground tour and by purchasing it on line for just a few extra Euros it was the difference between a visit to the Colesseum and a proper tour. Going to the base of the stadium one gets to see how the gladiators were brought up to the stadium and how they lived. Up to the third level one gets to look over the stadium and the Palatine. For most Rome is a one visit city, don't short change yourself. The steps take a little bit of effort but we were in our mid sixties when we did the tour and achieved it with little issues

Which tour did you book?

Thanks!

But, it is still very confusing.

It looks like with these repurchased direct tickets you have to be there FOR your timed entry?

And it doesn't seem to say which tickets include which areas, or a tour guide?

We are thinking of arranging with one of the main Rome tour guide companies, and should then have a smaller group, preferred entry, etc.  It seems that you can do tours that include the underground, OR tours that include the very upper levels.  But, not both.  Maybe because the amount of walking, stairs, time, would be prohibitive.

I am thinking we would prefer the view from the very upper levels.  I have watched a very nice and informative video (by Roman Guy). And that view is what impressed me.  So I am hoping that the expense, time, and stairs would be worth it.

I went onto the official website to clarify what I thought to be the case. There is a box for the underground and 3rd level tickets. They are different than the general admission tickets. What happens is that one passes through security then go to the ticket office where you are told to meet. One needs to book for specific times. A guide will collect you take you out to the floor of the arena on the rebuilt decking. This is not available to the general public. One is then taken down to the underground of the arena where there is a rebuilt elevator showing how people and animals were taken up to the arena floor. There is a lift to bring you back up to the main arena before heading off to the 3rd level which overlooks the Palatine hill.

Entry to this tour also gives access to the Palatine and forum.

In my opinion this is a must not miss tour in Rome

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm...just went to the website, and suddenly (I have been checking every couple of days), after not even seeing April or May availability, they are almost totally booked for the time we are there, and much of the rest of May...we are there May 18-21. What the heck happened?

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hmmm...just went to the website, and suddenly (I have been checking every couple of days), after not even seeing April or May availability, they are almost totally booked for the time we are there, and much of the rest of May...we are there May 18-21. What the heck happened?

I believe those went on sale yesterday. I saw the schedule when I was looking the other day for my July trip

1 hour ago, lamb616 said:

which one were you looking at?  There's plenty availability for the Full Experience + Underground + Level III

Don't know why you are underlining things????

I searched for the website, as initially I couldn't find this thread. Later, I found this thread and it showed essentially the same thing.  For example, this:https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=D36B17ED-8EE9-E7C6-39F6-016ED55DF189&catalogid=FBC810DF-454C-1B93-6796-016F37949DF8&lang=en

shows no availability May May 19-21. 

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I searched for the website, as initially I couldn't find this thread. Later, I found this thread and it showed essentially the same thing.  For example, this:https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=event&id=D36B17ED-8EE9-E7C6-39F6-016ED55DF189&catalogid=FBC810DF-454C-1B93-6796-016F37949DF8&lang=en

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I'm working with only 1 hand  (hand injury)  so my typing has been all crazy, lol.

But, what I was saying is if you select the tour with the Level III (not the one u posted,), theres plenty of openings. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, cruisemom42 said:

For more information on navigating the Colosseum ticketing process and descriptions of the various tours, see here:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k12543305-Colosseum_underground_belvedere_panoramic_tickets-Rome_Lazio.html

Unfortunately I read this after purchasing the Full Experience + Arena tickets.  (The others are sold out. )

On the details of the official website, it says
ACCESS MODE
The “Colosseum Arena” ticket let the visitors to directly access to the arena. This ticket is reserved for groups with authorized tour guides and tour leaders and individual visitors, up to 13 people, without guide or tour leader.

But then below there everything is about the tour guide. It's so confusing. Can I use the ticket without a tour guide or not?

Also, can I go to Palatine Hill and Roman Forum first before showing up at the Colosseum at the designated hour?

Thank you so much for your help!

Jenny

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thinking there was a problem, I attempted several times to book 2 people where it said only one available. It said "No more tickets available" each time.

I posted this on the S.U.P.E.R. ticket thread, but it applies here: 

Warning.  The "Full Experience" tickets that include tours of the underground level along with the SUPER ticket disappear in seconds!  I was on the website the moment it opened and in the couple of minutes is took me to navigate to the time I wanted the availability went from 25 tickets to 1.  I grabbed a different time that had more tickets left.  I checked again a while ago and most of the tickets on that date were completely gone.  I also checked some tour companies and ticket resellers that must have grabbed all those tickets.  They have them on sale for huge markups.

There is an option if you want to see the underground.  There are plenty of tickets available for the tours in Spanish or Italian. It is only the English tours that are grabbed by resellers.  If you really want to see the underground and 3rd level, join either a Spanish or Italian tour.  It is great if you understand the guide, if not, it would be no different than being allowed in without a guide.  Bring a guidebook to follow along.

Edited by marazul

On 2/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, marazul said:

I posted this on the S.U.P.E.R. ticket thread, but it applies here: 

There is an option if you want to see the underground.  There are plenty of tickets available for the tours in Spanish or Italian. It is only the English tours that are grabbed by resellers.  If you really want to see the underground and 3rd level, join either a Spanish or Italian tour.  It is great if you understand the guide, if not, it would be no different than being allowed in without a guide.  Bring a guidebook to follow along.

Yes, if I'm not able to get the English tour, I'm ok with the Spanish or Italian and bringing some sort of guide to follow. 

• 3 weeks later...

We toured some upper levels and really enjoyed that. The views were beautiful.

(booked with "Walks of Italy" and the guide was great. This tour then included the Forum

and Palatine Hill.