Packing a lunch from the boat for off the boat....

Davis2010

On 1/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, akcruz said:

I remember a few years back sailing out of southern California, no food was allowed outside until we were a certain distance from port.  Had something to do with fruit flies if I remember correctly.  Our usually routine was to get seats by the pool and then grab lunch from the buffet and eat by the pool.  We couldn't on that cruise.  So yes California dies have some different rules than other states.

That's odd.  I sailed out of Long Beach this past September, and there were no rules against having food outside (on the open decks, that is).  I even ate lunch by the pool after embarkation and breakfast before debarkation.  Nobody said anything.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, ldubs said:

Yep, someone brought a boiled egg and ham sandwich into Australia years ago.  And, now look what happened -  Instead of normal animals there are Platypuses, Bandicoots,  and Wallabies running wild all over the place.  🤣🤣🤣

I see what you did there. :classic_wink:  But jokes aside, that's how Australia ended up with a rabbit problem: British settlers wanted to have the psychological comfort of seeing familiar animals, only to find there were no natural predators for rabbits.  (Humans should become their predators, and eat them as a casserole with potatoes and mushrooms.)  The same can happen with introduced pests from produce and meat: they're brought to an environment where there's no population control for them.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, SRF said:

Let's see, the ship ONLY stops and US or Canadian ports.

It is initially provisioned at a US or Canadian port.

So why is there an issue with food onto shore in the US or Canada?????

Any provisions loaded onto the ship stay on the ship (at least they're supposed to).  Plus, what was provisioned in one port may contaminate the land in another port.  That's why no food can leave the ship, even it's in the same country or its neighbor.  Packaged food is different: manufacturers process the hell out of it, to the point where nothing can live in it.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:57 PM, ldubs said:

Yep, someone brought a boiled egg and ham sandwich into Australia years ago.  And, now look what happened -  Instead of normal animals there are Platypuses, Bandicoots,  and Wallabies running wild all over the place.  🤣🤣🤣

Well leave it to Florida to get it wrong! All they got from things brought in were snakes, snails, and fish that eat baby corals. 

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"49 square miles surrounded by reality."

Ooh, now that's a good one. To me it's San Francisco or The City or when writing, SF is acceptable. The first time I saw "FiDi" for the Financial District I almost choked 🙂

11 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Plus, what was provisioned in one port may contaminate the land in another port. 

To show an extreme and important example, when we went ashore in Antarctica we were wearing boots provided by the line (Hurtigruten) and walked through a disinfectant solution with brushes turning on the boots like a car wash. And did the reverse when we reboarded. Even on the same continent they wanted not a single thing - not even a plant - moved to another area.

5 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Well leave it to Florida to get it wrong! All they got from things brought in were snakes, snails, and fish that eat baby corals. 

Let's not forget kudsu.  That stuff is really invasive.  

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you can afford to live in SF, you can call it whatever you want. 

I call it "49 square miles surrounded by reality."

Haha, while not contiguous, you should probably add another 17 sq miles for Berkeley.  

6 hours ago, clo said:

To show an extreme and important example, when we went ashore in Antarctica we were wearing boots provided by the line (Hurtigruten) and walked through a disinfectant solution with brushes turning on the boots like a car wash. And did the reverse when we reboarded. Even on the same continent they wanted not a single thing - not even a plant - moved to another area.

On Lord Howe Island entering the national park you had to stroke your shoes along some brushes and then dip the soles in a solution. They had this set  up at the beginning of every walking track. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, John Bull said:

Way too sweeping, SRF.

All foods brought in by passengers have to be declared.

Many, such as fresh fruit, are inadmissible.

But by no means all foods.

JB :classic_smile:

OK, the nice lady told me that all foods were banned.  I guess she was being more sweeping. 🙂

Thanks.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, SRF said:

OK, the nice lady told me that all foods were banned.  I guess she was being more sweeping. 🙂

Thanks.

I carry protein bars everywhere (convenient to keep in my purse in  case we miss a meal) and I certainly brought some when we went to australia and didn't have any problems. I did declare it and they waved it off with no problem. 

• Like 1

We carry protein bars, peanut butter & crackers--all prepackaged. We have never had any problem at airports or ports. Last year at TSA in Dallas, our peanut butter & cracker sealed box with several sealed packages was swabbed. I noticed a family with an open carry-on bag full of all kinds of snack foods, noshing away while waiting for the plane. There was nothing in the carry-on bag but food. I asked if the TSA opened and inspected anything that day. Nope. Glad my peanut butter/cracker packages passed muster because they came in handy on a couple of excursions where the lines to buy food were extremely long, and time was short. Enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

We carry protein bars, peanut butter & crackers--all prepackaged. We have never had any problem at airports or ports. Last year at TSA in Dallas, our peanut butter & cracker sealed box with several sealed packages was swabbed. I noticed a family with an open carry-on bag full of all kinds of snack foods, noshing away while waiting for the plane. There was nothing in the carry-on bag but food. I asked if the TSA opened and inspected anything that day. Nope. Glad my peanut butter/cracker packages passed muster because they came in handy on a couple of excursions where the lines to buy food were extremely long, and time was short. Enjoy your cruise!

You know, excluding international return flights, I've never encountered a problem with bringing food through security at US airports.  Of course if you have a loosely wrapped sandwich, they might dig around in it which kind of makes it unappealing, haha.   I think they are more concerned with liquids.    

20 minutes ago, clo said:

Absolutely. 

I've carried this sandwich on multiple times. And no, it doesn't smell 🙂

https://food52.com/recipes/6896-pan-bagnat-le-french-tuna-salad-sandwich

That looks good.  I may have shared this before.  Many many years ago a guy I worked with brought home a whole salmon he caught in Alaska.  He wrapped it in butcher paper and put it in the overhead.  He said it kind of leaked and people were not happy when they retrieved their stuff out of the bin in SF.  Haha  

Edited by ldubs

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

That looks good.  I may have shared this before.  Many many years ago a guy I worked with brought home a whole salmon he caught in Alaska.  He wrapped it in butcher paper and putting it in the overhead.  He said it kind of leaked and people were not happy when they retrieved their stuff out of the bin in SF.  Haha  

Oh my. I actually had flight attendants wanting to buy it from me 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That looks good.  I may have shared this before.  Many many years ago a guy I worked with brought home a whole salmon he caught in Alaska.  He wrapped it in butcher paper and putting it in the overhead.  He said it kind of leaked and people were not happy when they retrieved their stuff out of the bin in SF.  Haha  

Oh my. I actually had flight attendants wanting to buy it from me 🙂

https://www.zingermans.com/Product/bonito-tinned-tuna/P-ORT

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is terrific. 

My tuna salad sandwiches and tuna melts are the best in the world.  Not exaggerating at all.  Haha.  

I believe you. I've read that World Market carries that tuna. Check it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best canned tuna I have had, I picked up in Cape Verde.  AWESOME.

Best sardines are from Portugal.  There is a shop in Lisbon that sells nothing but canned fish.  Sardines, tuna, mackeral.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Best canned tuna I have had, I picked up in Cape Verde.  AWESOME.

Best sardines are from Portugal.  There is a shop in Lisbon that sells nothing but canned fish.  Sardines, tuna, mackeral.

To me there is no such thing as a "best" sardine except for when using as bait.  😀

Mrs Ldubs always has a supply of canned fried dace on hand.  Our daughter likes them too.  Me and the boys, not so much.