Sel de Mer on the NS

swin26

I will be on the NS in the beginning of May.  We still can’t make dinner reservations.  I did notice that under the dining packages you can order the ultimate Dining package that includes the Sel de Mer.  Previously  under the packages Sel de Mer had a $30 pp price limit, but now it is listed as a fixed price restaurant, along with the other fixed price restaurants.  Nami Sushi is still listed as a pp price.  When will it be switching over on the NS?  I wonder if it will be the same menu as the pop ups rather than the more extensive menu in place currently.  I liked the current format. 

I was able to make Sel de Mer reservations about six weeks prior to sailing on the NS.  It appears to be a fixed price now; I paid $40 pp.  I can't yet speak to the menu; the sample menu still showed the a la carte pricing.  I'll try to remember to report back after our cruise if no one else pipes up with more recent information.

3 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I just logged into my account to check to see if the menu has been updated and it has.  Hopefully this link will work:  https://book2.hollandamerica.com/content/hal/cruise-experience/dining/menus/rudi's-sel-de-mer.pdf

Wow.... wish this was the menu for the one night Set de Mer's available on the Oosterdam & the Eurodam! 

I’m glad they kept some of the menu items from before.  I’m happy.  We will spend a little more - as we tended to split an appetizer and a dessert and still couldn’t finish.  Our bill not counting alcohol was previously about 30 pp now it will be 40pp.  We still will probably eat there 2 times in a week. DH actually prefers the Pinnacle Grill for the clothesline bacon.  We both love the Tamarind as well.  We are also happy they brought back the short rib gnocchi in the Canaletto- our all time favorite dish on a HAL ship - maybe even more than clothesline bacon! Our next cruise is a short one - only 7 days in Norway - an unexpected short vacation and we will probably only eat in the MDR one, maybe 2 nights at most.  Glad you we have a crazy amount of OBC. 

• 1 year later...

I was just looking at the 4* Mariner discount for the different dining venues. I noticed that they are giving a 25% discount off the $49 charge for Sel de Mer. 

Has that changed to a fixed price? Or maybe a recent change?

Has anyone dined there with a fixed price like Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind etc?

Edit: I was looking further into the website and see that it is now the single charge.  I checked out the current menu and the salt crusted fish entre is no longer available. Too bad, but I'm sure I'll find something else that's just as good.

Edited by OVgirl

I dined at Sel de Mer on the Nieuw Statendam with the ala carte menu.  Worth every penny in cuisine, service, and ambiance.

I have dined at the pop-ups of Sel de Mer on Westerdam and Volendam with the fixed price plan in the Pinnacle Grill.  The menu that was posted for the NS was not quite as extensive, as I recall.  The cuisine and service was just as good as the stand alone restaurant.  Ambiance?  On both Volendam and Westerdam, maybe because of a better quality/more guest oriented Pinnacle Grill Manager (???), the ambiance was as good as the stand alone on NS.  

Many prefer Tamarind, Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto as an alternative restaurant.  Tried all--more than once.  I think Sel de Mer is the best of HAL's specialty restaurants.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, leerathje said:

We were on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera Feb 29 - March 8, 2020 (SOB!!  a year ago) and DH and I ate at the Sel 22.2.thumb.jpg.97a536ddeddd6fb4ee89268c708d3b11.jpgde Mer popup.  This was the menu.

L.

23.1.jpg

24.1.jpg

This is the exact menu that I was offered at a pop-up Sel de Mer at the PG.

I chose Escargots, Rack of Lamb, and Apple Tarte Tatin that last time.  

Usually, I have chosen Escargots, Dover Sole, and Crepes Suzette.  Once, I chose Rudi's Souffle.  Maybe, if it had been properly baked, it would have been good.  But, what I was served was not thoroughly baked and was disappointing.  

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Thank you!  I thought the fixed price was for the pop-up.

I'm not sure if it is or not for the pop up.  It's been a while.  The stand alone used to be ala carte.  My theory that it changed because people weren't spending enough.  People might let's say go in for an entree then split a dessert so they weren't making enough $$$. I'm sure someone will be around in 3.5 seconds to refute my theory ;).

I loved when it used to be ala carte - I'm a picky eater, with a small appetite, so the cheese souffle and a dessert was all I could handle.  When it went to a fixed price (couple years before Covid I think) I stopped going to Sel de Mer - but will be dining there in December on the Rotterdam solely because the experience is nice (and one of our party has never been).

Sue/WDW1972

20 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Thank you!  I thought the fixed price was for the pop-up.

The price I quoted previously is A la Carte for our upcoming Koningsdam cruise on the 10th.  And on our recent Alaskan cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam it was also a set price (I don’t remember if it was the same $). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I loved when it used to be ala carte - I'm a picky eater, with a small appetite, so the cheese souffle and a dessert was all I could handle.  When it went to a fixed price (couple years before Covid I think) I stopped going to Sel de Mer - but will be dining there in December on the Rotterdam solely because the experience is nice (and one of our party has never been).

Sue/WDW1972

I have a small appetite also but couldn’t resist this, tartare:

D2BBE16C-66E0-4A18-A326-4EC4E15CA8B0.thumb.jpeg.dc6f40fc322754e4d3494f8d4dedf168.jpeg

Tourchon:

3DE03007-0613-4555-8094-8FCC129DAFA8.thumb.jpeg.d4ad031fcab96fc4c584e9e7e95038c2.jpeg

Cheese soufflé:

918A990F-0089-4942-87D8-A3434C915A36.thumb.jpeg.f294ba9051bdc80697d7f0ae6523ea61.jpeg

BTW, the soufflé was cooked perfectly!

29 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

I wouldn’t say I’m a small eater 😛but I do try to be careful about what I eat during the day.  I tend to have my biggest meal at night complete with wine.  That said, I’m with you on the ala carte.  I’m not super picky but I do have a number of food sensitivities so that can make certain menus hard to navigate.  When I first tried the stand alone restaurant on the koningsdam I was very underwhelmed.  I tried it again on the n statendam and it was very, very good.  For that reason alone I will probably cough up the $49 but if it’s not the same quality I won’t go again on the particular cruise.

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I have a small appetite also but couldn’t resist this, tartare:

D2BBE16C-66E0-4A18-A326-4EC4E15CA8B0.thumb.jpeg.dc6f40fc322754e4d3494f8d4dedf168.jpeg

@Sharon in AZ, thank you so very much for the picture of the new steak tartare!  It DEFINITELY appears to be smaller than before....and that's a GOOD thing!  In the past (as I stated on another thread) I was always unable to finish the meal...had to take my profiteroles "home"😀.  Hope the PG portion now matches this one also.  PG steak tartare used to be even larger than Sel de Mer and I could hardly finish even the main course in that venue.

For those who haven't had this dish in the past.....the PG portion used to look like a HUGE and THICK hamburger patty ready for the grill. <-- Although I don't know why you'd want to cremate such fine meat 😉.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

@Sharon in AZ, thank you so very much for the picture of the new steak tartare!  It DEFINITELY appears to be smaller than before....and that's a GOOD thing!  In the past (as I stated on another thread) I was always unable to finish the meal...had to take my profiteroles "home"😀.  Hope the PG portion now matches this one also.  PG steak tartare used to be even larger than Sel de Mer and I could hardly finish even the main course in that venue.

For those who haven't had this dish in the past.....the PG portion used to look like a HUGE and THICK hamburger patty ready for the grill. <-- Although I don't know why you'd want to cremate such fine meat 😉.

You can have my share.  It doesn’t do anything for me.

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My memory of my most recent experiences that there was no ala carte pricing for Sel de Mer.  

I don’t think they had it on the pop up sel de mer.  I just looked at my statement for my cruise on the nieuw statendam in November 2019 and it was ala carte at that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

You are welcome!  I haven’t had it in the PG, we always go for lunch and I always order order the Carpaccio which is also very good. We are booked for dinner at PG next week and I’ll have to try the tartare. I hope it’s not too big. 

• Like 1