Guys Burgers...what did I miss?

scliq

5 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

So... here's how they roll.  If you might notice, they are not everywhere.  This is because their restaurants can only be so many miles (perhaps 30 miles ?) away from their Hub where they grind and make the burgers fresh daily, and drive them out to each restaurant daily.  They also peel their potatoes at the Hub to make French fries with and ship them in water to each restaurant.  The potatoes are turned into fry-sticks at the restaurant by employees - minutes before they fry them up.

So the one thing you get is a consistent fresh burger and fries, no matter the location.

That sounds excellent!  Thanks for the info! 🙂 

55 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Ohhhhh, I see. A steakhouse burger is really a ground sirloin burger. Gosh you all sure do have fancy names for what we down here grew up on. Thanks for the clarification. 

Where is down here?

1 minute ago, Mytime2014 said:

i like Guy's for what it is - a hot fresh burger, - best enjoyed when you missed breakfast and can't stomach the view of the buffet. The buffet is difficult for me even when it's fresh.....MDR, pizza or Guy's

Any more on a carnival ship the food isn't good it's edible about all.its really noticable when you cruise a carnival ship every 2-3 years with other lines in between.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mytime2014 said:

In and out does a great lettuce wrapped burger - they have that skill down - but are they better than any other? mmmmm I would go to whataburger for a #6 combo - In and out doesn't have bacon - *****!!!!

Bingo  Buddy! Thank you for your astute assessment of an outstanding example of the classic burger! 👍

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Guy's on our very first cruise. I remember booking the next one and looking forward to that burger for over a year. But that second time arrived and I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was still a tasty burger, but it wasn't what I remembered. I truly believe the taste changed. About a year & a half ago on the Glory, I ate a Guy's burger everyday on our 7-day. I just wanted to say I did it. LOL I'll still eat them on every cruise (not every day), but I don't really look forward to them anymore.

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a steakhouse burger.....like in a steakhouse, where steaks are their specialty?.....really??? You must not be from around here. Sorry. 

Ohhhhh, I see. A steakhouse burger is really a ground sirloin burger. Gosh you all sure do have fancy names for what we down here grew up on. Thanks for the clarification.

Dang, Joe, don't y'all have any Steak n Shakes down there? 😄

brand.gif?itok=PfXsQdKi

Edited by Organized Chaos

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

In-n-Out is now in Texas too... 

Yes they are! And they are great burgers. I had one in Fort Worth last summer, when I took my grandson and his friend to about the only genuine Army Surplus Store remaining in Texas. 

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

I absolutely loved Guy's on our very first cruise. I remember booking the next one and looking forward to that burger for over a year. But that second time arrived and I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was still a tasty burger, but it wasn't what I remembered. I truly believe the taste changed. About a year & a half ago on the Glory, I ate a Guy's burger everyday on our 7-day. I just wanted to say I did it. LOL I'll still eat them on every cruise (not every day), but I don't really look forward to them anymore.

Dang, Joe, don't y'all have any Steak n Shakes down there? 😄

brand.gif?itok=PfXsQdKi

Uggghhhh....yes, we have one of those's here in Arlington. Good place to eat. I do like their shakes. 

30 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Uggghhhh....yes, we have one of those's here in Arlington. Good place to eat. I do like their shakes. 

We used to love 'em, but they went downhill quick. Quality declined and we stopped going. We had two in our area, but one closed down not too long ago. Looks like we weren't the only ones who stopped going. There's a big sign on the side of the building attempting to reopen it...Invest $10,000 for 50% of the profits. There's a reason it closed, no thanks.

I always see Californians talk up In-n-Out, but we're too far to have those. We do have Five Guys, but I've never had it. Heard they were good, but pretty expensive. I would like to try them sometime.

28 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Is there any way I can get off this merry-go-round? :classic_wacko:

Too many burgers, feeling sick?

Edited by Organized Chaos

I don’t love guys burgers, but I still eat them on the cruise. They aren’t that terrible for what they are, which is fast food on a cruise ship. 

Not a fan of In and Out. My favorite fast food type burger is The Habit. Though I have not had Whataburger. 

• Like 2

I had a Guy's burger when they 1st arrived on Carnival ships - not too bad, just average tasting 80/20 blend.  Maybe a half dozen Carnival cruises later, I tried a 2nd one, and saw that the size and quality had gone downhill.  Haven't had a 3rd one yet, despite several more Carnival cruises.  I can cook a better burger on my own grill.

Now, this is coming from a guy who last ate a fast food big mac back in 1967, and hasn't had a fast food burger since then.  I don't consider burgers anything special, give me some Italian meatballs in gravy instead.

As far as steakhouse burgers, Peter Luger's makes a lunch burger that I'll try someday, otherwise give me a filet mignon, medium rare.  I do enjoy Carnival's Steakhouse meats.

And Guy's restaurant in Times Square NYC went out of business after getting scathing reviews and little support from native NYers.

8 hours ago, scliq said:

I am very hesitant in asking but I figure I must have missed something....

I love burgers especially steak house ones so I was looking forward after reading all the raves to try a Guys Burger. When I try a burger for the 1st time I avoid most toppings, especially cheese,  that distract from the taste of the meat. I do also have ones afterwards with the works as well.

I was not impressed and actually disappointed with the Burgers so many here rave about. 

Yes they were better than your typical fast food burger but they were no where near as good as I expected or that I've had out or at home.

Is it just me or did I miss something? I even tried again on a different day hoping that either me or them were just off the 1st time. 

They are a good burger but I'm not sure that I'd pay for one and for me that is the thing- they are a very good burger that costs nothing additional. We were recently on Royal and they have Johnny Rockets onboard and you have to pay to eat there. I didn't partake because I have eaten at one of the Johnny Rockets land restaurants and yes, it's a good burger but it's really not that much better than other hamburger chain hamburgers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stellarose said:

they did not do veggies burgers this time. on the pride they did. so no guys this time.

Carnival changed the procedure. Now you go to the deli for your veggie burger and you're welcome to take it to Guy's topping bar for customizing 😉 

11 hours ago, scliq said:

I am very hesitant in asking but I figure I must have missed something....

I love burgers especially steak house ones so I was looking forward after reading all the raves to try a Guys Burger. When I try a burger for the 1st time I avoid most toppings, especially cheese,  that distract from the taste of the meat. I do also have ones afterwards with the works as well.

I was not impressed and actually disappointed with the Burgers so many here rave about. 

Yes they were better than your typical fast food burger but they were no where near as good as I expected or that I've had out or at home.

Is it just me or did I miss something? I even tried again on a different day hoping that either me or them were just off the 1st time. 

I feel the same way you do. One, they are way too greasy for my taste. Two, 1000 calories (depending which one you get) is a lot for an over-rated burger.  

• Like 1