Guys Burgers...what did I miss?

scliq

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I absolutely loved Guy's on our very first cruise. I remember booking the next one and looking forward to that burger for over a year. But that second time arrived and I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was still a tasty burger, but it wasn't what I remembered. I truly believe the taste changed.

Yep! On my 2016 Sunshine cruise, it was by far the best tasting Beef-burger I've ever had. But, on my 2019 Valor cruise, it wasn't as I remembered. Frankly subpar.

13 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Is "potato stix" (sticks) a regional term? I've never heard anyone call fries that.

That's a good question, I've known these in this photo as sticks since I was a kid. I've lived north, south, east and west and have never heard fries called anything else in America. Maybe it's a mid-west expression? What do the crew at Guy's on the ships call them?91q+iNFEsGL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Guys burgers is a great burger. I plan to eat several. If it's not "good to you", you just need to drink a bit more. The more you drink, the more amazing the burger gets. Same goes for those who indulge on the herbal side of life.  It's the secret to turning average food into spectacular food. Nothing better for a bit of a hangover than a greasy guys burger/fries, a cold beer, and gazing off into the horizon at the beautiful ocean. Winning combination.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

The potato stix are at the fixins' table.

Potato Stix are toppings, as jerseyjjs said- they're crunchy (think potato chips, not French fries). I loved them as a kid but hadn't had them since until I cruised on the Breeze and had my first guys burger.

I'll weigh into the burger argument to say that I'm not a fan of In n Out- their burgers are all lettuce, tomato & onion, and their French fries are not to my taste at all... but I find that Guys burgers ranks up there with any other chain burger IMHO... they all taste pretty much the same- if I'm not cooking it at home, a burger is a burger!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

I've lived north, south, east and west and have never heard fries called anything else in America.

I grew up in Canada and we always called French fries 'chips'. First time someone gave me potato chips when I ordered a burger and chips I was really confused!!!

49 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Potato Stix are toppings, as jerseyjjs said- they're crunchy (think potato chips, not French fries). I loved them as a kid but hadn't had them since until I cruised on the Breeze and had my first guys burger.

Ah, gotcha. I do know potato stix, the crunchy thingies. I misunderstood and thought that's what they were calling fries. I don't pay much attention to the condiments station at Guy's. I just get mayo and go. Didn't know they had those potato sticks. I might have to try 'em on my burger next time.

41 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I grew up in Canada and we always called French fries 'chips'. First time someone gave me potato chips when I ordered a burger and chips I was really confused!!!

Yeah, chips=fries is a British term. They must've brought it to Canada with them. I never tried the Fish & Chips when Carnival had them.

47 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I'll weigh into the burger argument to say that I'm not a fan of In n Out- their burgers are all lettuce, tomato & onion, and their French fries are not to my taste at all... 

Ah... glad someone mentioned this... In-n-Out is not skimpy on lettuce, tomato & onion, for sure.  A whole tomato slice, a whole onion slice, and plenty of lettuce.  I suggest getting a double-double with cheese (double cheeseburger)… then the burger is more balanced.

And yes, the fries do taste different because they are made fresh... cooked from a fresh potato that was recently sliced into fries, and fried before your eyes.  Fast Food and Restaurant fries are preprocessed to order (each has their own recipe) at large potato preprocessing plants... quick frozen... and shipped.  That is why they all have a different taste and texture. 

In-n-Out double-double burgers...

in-n-out burger

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Ah... glad someone mentioned this... In-n-Out is not skimpy on lettuce, tomato & onion, for sure.  A whole tomato slice, a whole onion slice, and plenty of lettuce.  I suggest getting a double-double with cheese (double cheeseburger)… then the burger is more balanced.

And yes, the fries do taste different because they are made fresh... cooked from a fresh potato that was recently sliced into fries, and fried before your eyes.  Fast Food and Restaurant fries are preprocessed to order (each has their own recipe) at large potato preprocessing plants... quick frozen... and shipped.  That is why they all have a different taste and texture. 

in-n-out burger

Good to know when I do have the chance to try one out.

9 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I used to make my own French fries from potatoes, plus a chain in Ontario where I grew up did the same (any Canadians remember when Harvey's served fresh fries never frozen?), ditto Five Guys. So I'm familiar with the taste... I just find that their French fries are bland, other than the pepper on them... not a fan.

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

. I just find that their French fries are bland, other than the pepper on them... not a fan.

Agreed.  Fresh French Fries are a bit bland, no matter who makes them.  The trick is to eat them while they are still hot -- they taste much better.  I always eat my fries first for this reason.  😅   But I enjoy knowing they are not preprocessed, so they have grown on me.

15 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

in-n-out burger

The one on the left is "animal style" the one on the right is a regular double double. I love animal style but also love onions so I order a double-double animal style with onions both ways (or add regular onions to animal style). You can also order cheese or animal style fries as well. In-and-out has a whole "not so secret" menu. Don't forget the spicy pickled peppers on the side. Dang, I'm hungry now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Agreed.  Fresh French Fries are a bit bland, no matter who makes them.  The trick is to eat them while they are still hot -- they taste much better.  I always eat my fries first for this reason.  😅   But I enjoy knowing they are not preprocessed, so they have grown on me.

I can't eat French fries now (dietary restrictions) so I don't make them from scratch anymore, but when I did, I had a homemade blend of seasonings I'd sprinkle on them as soon as they came out of the fryer.... made ALL the difference! And yes, when done right, there's no fast food French fry that can compare!

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Is "potato stix" (sticks) a regional term? I've never heard anyone call fries that.

As mentioned above, they are on the fixings bar. I should of just said," the stix are the best thing at Guys"....

I can do without Guys, they really arent for my taste. I tried the mushrooms at the fixings bar, and they were not what i expected. yuk  It's all good though, these kind of threads you get all kind of different opinions.

image.png.8b52a027d074588e899756d028808652.png

These are from NJ/PA area

Edited by FSHLOT

I liked Guys Burgers from my first Carnival cruise last September.  It started as a well done burger heavily soaked in Worcester sauce.  Didn’t add any toppings.

Unfortunately as the cruise went on, the lines got longer (I think people got more and more tired of the limited buffet selection) and the cooking process seemed rushed and actually needed condiments.  Maybe I was just getting bored after my 5th burger that week.  I’ll probably “try” a burger or 2 on our Horizon cruise but with so much free food at lunch it’s not a priority.

10 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They are a good burger but I'm not sure that I'd pay for one and for me that is the thing- they are a very good burger that costs nothing additional. We were recently on Royal and they have Johnny Rockets onboard and you have to pay to eat there. I didn't partake because I have eaten at one of the Johnny Rockets land restaurants and yes, it's a good burger but it's really not that much better than other hamburger chain hamburgers. 

RCI should be ashamed of themselves for charging extra for Johnny Rockets. Charge extra for the shakes, fine, but the food does not warrant an upcharge. At least Guy's - while not the best burger I've ever had, by far - isn't costing anything extra.

• Like 3

It isn't just you.  I have never understood the love for Guy's burgers either.  I recognize that lots of people love them and don't knock them for it.  🙂  But for me, it is kind of a grease bomb.   I usually have one once on a cruise-  they are useful for soaking up and counteracting excess alcohol or when I am absolutely starving after an excursion.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pjhootch said:

It isn't just you.  I have never understood the love for Guy's burgers either.  I recognize that lots of people love them and don't knock them for it.  🙂  But for me, it is kind of a grease bomb.   I usually have one once on a cruise-  they are useful for soaking up and counteracting excess alcohol or when I am absolutely starving after an excursion.  

Funny.  Shows how different people are.  I WISH they were a grease bomb!  I found them a bit dry.

• Haha 1