Crazy question about laundry detergent scent on HAL / Rotterdam

gadgetlady

Looking for anyone who is currently cruising or has recently cruised with HAL, possibly specifically on Rotterdam but I think this would be the same throughout the line.

I am sensitive to scents (perfumes, scented laundry detergent, etc.).  I have never had an issue with scented laundry detergent and the sheets on beds in any hotel or on any cruise ship (I do often have issues with the soap and shampoo in the bathrooms).

I am going on a 16-day cruise in February and considering purchasing their unlimited laundry package to cut down on luggage.  However, if my clothes come out with a scent that I'm allergic to, I will have a miserable cruise.

I called HAL and they said they use Ecolab detergent, but it's not unscented.  Ecolab's website says it has a "light, pleasant fragrance."  She said they use the same detergent for towels and sheets as they do for guest laundry.

Anyone who has recently cruised or anyone who is currently on a cruise - can you tell me if you noticed any scent at all in the sheets or towels?  Better yet, if you used their guest laundry, did you notice a scent on your clothes?

11 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

Thank you so much, canadianbear.  That's what I was hoping to hear - from someone who also has issues with smells but had no issue with their laundry.  I can pack lightly with relief.

You’re welcome!  Hope it’s ok with their laundry too for you.   

Just now, gadgetlady said:

Looking for anyone who is currently cruising or has recently cruised with HAL, possibly specifically on Rotterdam but I think this would be the same throughout the line.

I am sensitive to scents (perfumes, scented laundry detergent, etc.).  I have never had an issue with scented laundry detergent and the sheets on beds in any hotel or on any cruise ship (I do often have issues with the soap and shampoo in the bathrooms).

I am going on a 16-day cruise in February and considering purchasing their unlimited laundry package to cut down on luggage.  However, if my clothes come out with a scent that I'm allergic to, I will have a miserable cruise.

I called HAL and they said they use Ecolab detergent, but it's not unscented.  Ecolab's website says it has a "light, pleasant fragrance."  She said they use the same detergent for towels and sheets as they do for guest laundry.

Anyone who has recently cruised or anyone who is currently on a cruise - can you tell me if you noticed any scent at all in the sheets or towels?  Better yet, if you used their guest laundry, did you notice a scent on your clothes?

I have sensitive skin and have had problems with hotel linens in the past (I used to take along my own sheets), and use unscented laundry soap and dryer sheets at home. I have had no problems on HAL ships with either the unlimited laundry package or the hotel linens, including the Rotterdam last summer.

• Like 1

Me, too. And until November on the Rotterdam when I had to request a re-do on my bed linens, I’ve never had the problem before.

NOTE I loved the Rotterdam but she really needs new bedding and lots of updating, sooner rather than later.

i use ALL Clear at home, works well. But I got itchy in bed and the request for “free” linens was followed and problem solved. Strangely the laundry sent out and the towels never posed a problem. I’m going on April 6th again but this time I will call customer service and request fragrance free linens, they can fulfill that request.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

The Rotterdam has a great laundry, fast and efficient.  I have never had any problems with fragrance on any HAL ship.  Beware HAL's  bar soap: very strongly scented (to me).  I use the bath gel (much lighter fragrance).

Enjoy this lovely ship!

I can’t even use their bath gel.  I have put on my comment cards several times about using no fragrance soaps or lotions.  I wish I didn’t have to bring my own but I do.  

• Like 1

I bring my own everything, everywhere.  I could never travel with only a carry-on because of all the stupid products I have to bring on any trip.  I am a chronic overpacker anyway, so having to carry so much product for self care makes my luggage ridiculous.  On a 16-day cruise, the option to pay just $112 and have my laundry done every day is a lifesaver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am also scent sensitive, as well as often having skin allergies to scented products.  I use unscented laundry detergent and personal care products at home. I never use any of the toiletries on board as I find them too strongly scented, and always have to bring my own.

We decided to try the unlimited laundry package on the Koningsdam this fall, and I was very pleased with it.  I did not have any problems with skin irritation or scent.  I will say that if you bury your nose in something that has been freshly laundered, there is the very slightest whiff of scent, but it is very light and almost unnoticeable.

• Like 2

DW is very sensitive to just about any kind of scent in detergent and will often get a nasty rash.  She has never had any problems with the HAL laundries which we have used many times on quite a few different vessels including the Rotterdam.

Hank

• Like 1

Gadgetlady, I second what others have said:  I had laundry done on the Zuiderdam, and I didn't notice any smell, and I had no allergic reaction at all.  I have broken out in a rash before from changing laundry soaps, so I was worried, but I couldn't have been more pleased.  The laundry was very nicely done, and I told my husband that if we ever go on another cruise, I'll definitely spring for the unlimited laundry.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, *Miss G* said:

I am sensitive to scents to the point where they will set off an asthma attack or a migraine (depending on the scent).  I have never had a problem with HAL laundry, sheets, or towels.  Enjoy your cruise!

Some time ago, we were sailing with highly allergic friend.  I called someone I knew well at  HAL and asked for specifics re: detergents used on the ships.   My memory is I was told they used ( THEN  ! )  Super washing soda.  They, of course,  are fully aware of the need to avoid using products which are more likely t han some other to cause allergic reac tions. They cannot avoid everything   to which some pax may be allergic  as so many persons come to the ships  suffering their individual allergies.   Someone is bound to have allergy to something no matter,  how careful, aware and informed they are  as to products used   .  Some folks simply cannot leave  their safe  environment in order to avoid all chance of a reaction

Washing soda is Not Baking soda though Arm and Hammer is on of the manufacturers who produce  and market  washing.  I was told it is one detergent to which fewer persons have bad reaction.

beFore   someone hurries to scold me for posting info they call 'too old'  by   whatever  is  their own standard.   

Kindly   take note I cautioned I got this info 'some  time  ago.

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I called someone I knew well at  HAL and asked for specifics re: detergents used on the ships.   My memory is I was told they used ( THEN  ! )  Super washing soda. 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Hmmm.... that is good to know.

Washing soda ( Na2CO3 ) is also known as sodium carbonate.   It is the main ingredient in Charlies Soap powder laundry detergent, which is one of the rare laundry detergents that do not give me rashes.  It is also the main ingredient in a lot of other not-quite-big-name  laundry detergents like Nellie's, etc.   It can fade dark colors over time, but sometimes we have a trade-off for the lack of enzymes and fragrances.

Edited by Walfam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good info, Walfan

I'll leave the chemistry  to you.

We trade off fat in  some ice cream but they add  more sugar. 

We all make  those sort of  choices  sometimes daily. 

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

Gadgetlady, we are on the same cruise and got the unlimited laundry. In August I was on the Amsterdam and I thought I’d see what happened when I used their soap. My face broke out in spots and bumps so bad I won’t try it again but their liquid stuff in the shower was fine. And the laundry was no problem.  See you soon. We are having a meet and greet in the crows nest. Check out the roll call. 

• Like 1

I’m also a scent sensitive asthmatic. Our first two HAL cruises did not create any laundry problems. 

We’ll be on the Rotterdam through the Panama Canal at the end of February and do not anticipate any laundry issues. 

Which cruise are are you taking?

Gary

• Like 1