Actor suing Princess over Bed Bugs on EMERALD

Steelers36

Interesting article.  We have been fortunate to have spend far more then 1000 nights on cruise ships with nary a bedbug bite.  But we have other friends who have been "bitten by the bug."  We were recently on the Emerald on her repo cruise from Europe and did not suffer any ill effects.  I guess it is luck of the draw.

Hank

If there really was a bedbug problem that was widespread on the Emerald it would have been a hot topic here accompanied by outraged chest beating from the usual suspects whether they were on the Emerald or not.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

If there really was a bedbug problem that was widespread on the Emerald it would have been a hot topic here accompanied by outraged chest beating from the usual suspects whether they were on the Emerald or not.

Most people are not familiar with what bed bug bites look like. Some just think it's a rash and don't equate it to bed bugs. They are nasty little things that are hard to kill  and very easy to bring back in you luggage, then the "fun" begins. Ugh!

• Like 2

Why are there no pictures of the actual bedbugs?  I had a friend who recently stayed in a resort with a major bedbug problem.  She showed me videos of them crawling around in the linens.  That would be irrefutable evidence, vs bites/marks that could be from just about anything/anywhere.

• Like 5

That's exactly what my bites from 'no see-ums' on Princess Cays looked like last year. Not saying that's what this is, but just wondering if she ended up at a beach with an infestation of them. Mine didn't really show themselves until a few hrs after I'd left the island while my husband's bites manifested immediately.

After last year's horrendous experience, I doused myself with bug spray before heading to PC a couple of weeks ago!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait to hear the conclusion on this one. 

We were just on the Emerald 2 weeks ago and not a peep that I heard.

Like someone else said, someone on CC would be causing a ruckus if this was evident.

She probably brought it on from the beach. 

Too many questions..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Cases are not widespread. 

Usually only one cabin although they will check several cabins on either side.

It would only be here if a CC member would post their experience or what they may have "heard".

These passengers will be hard pressed to prove anything. They are very travel savvy pests around the world.

Those telltale groupings of 3 bites together are referred to as breakfast/lunch/dinner in the bedbug world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They're looking for a settlement from a large corporation.  If those bedbugs were there before these people came aboard, then previous PAX who stayed in the same cabin would have the same problem.  How does the plaintiff prove they didn't bring the insects onboard in their own luggage?  Did they stay in a 'flea bag' hotel the night before the cruise?  Bedbugs from there could have gotten into their luggage from there because they also wanted to see Cabo...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

***Snark alert!!***

Is anyone else annoyed that it keeps getting reported with actor/actress in the headline? Like it's somehow more important because she's an actress? Who cares... I also looked her up on IMDB.

How did you ever have enough time to read her entire  acting career?  (snark...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

***Snark alert!!***

Is anyone else annoyed that it keeps getting reported with actor/actress in the headline? Like it's somehow more important because she's an actress? Who cares... I also looked her up on IMDB.

**Footnote**

Actors on cover may not necessarily portray actors in film. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The concept of bringing them on board from the flea bag motel as stated above sure does sound correct. No where in the article did they mention talking to the steward, hotel staff or the pursers desk. Bite one! Am asking for resolution.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting article.  We have been fortunate to have spend far more then 1000 nights on cruise ships with nary a bedbug bite.  But we have other friends who have been "bitten by the bug."  We were recently on the Emerald on her repo cruise from Europe and did not suffer any ill effects.  I guess it is luck of the draw.

Hank

We too were on the Emerald for the 18- day repo cruise which arrived in US on Nov 18. No sign of any bedbugs on that cruise.

• Like 1

The odds of a massive infestation going unnoticed seem...not high? Of course, stranger things have happened. I guess I won't be surprised if this turned out to be a scam or just a misunderstanding about what bit them, but maybe they're telling the truth? Interesting case.

I was on one Princess cruise where I got bed bug bites.  I wasn't insistent they were bed bugs but, upon notifying the room steward, he reported it to the hotel manager and he confirmed it.  That mattress and all bedding was replaced asap and and we didn't experience them again throughout the remainder of the cruise.  Problem reported, problem solved!!  I didn't make a big deal out of it and neither did Princess ... it was just cleaned up.  Luckily, it must not have been a widespread infestation although, I later found out that the passengers in the cabin next door also had the same issue.  

Now, there was another cruise I was on that went down to Mexico and was covered in bites.  It was from going into the jungle down in Puerto Vallarta, not from the ship.  I realize some people are allergic to bug bites but just take a little cortisone cream to dab on your skin and that should take care of that.  If actual bed bugs are found, be sure to unpack outside and wrap up your luggage out in the garage so you don't bring them into your home.  '

I just don't see blaming everything on the cruise line.  It's most likely that these bugs are brought onboard by you or another passenger.  

• Like 4