Belfast - conflicted between 2 entirely different tours

Coral

One tour is Titantic Belfast and Belfast City drive.

The other is Giants Causeway.

I know they are entirely different. I probably won't make it back to this area again. I am interested in both and wish I had 2 days here. I have a coworker who spent quite a bit of time here and suggested the Titanic Belfast because it is closer and less time on the bus. He likes both of them. Giants Causeway looks pretty cool also.

Any feedback?

1 hour ago, Coral said:

One tour is Titantic Belfast and Belfast City drive.

The other is Giants Causeway.

I know they are entirely different. I probably won't make it back to this area again. I am interested in both and wish I had 2 days here. I have a coworker who spent quite a bit of time here and suggested the Titanic Belfast because it is closer and less time on the bus. He likes both of them. Giants Causeway looks pretty cool also.

Any feedback?

This question has been asked. 

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

After reading - it sounds like people like and dislike both......

Hey, isn’t that usually the case. You have to read the ones that give reasons and see how they fit with your own circumstances. 

Edited by gnome12

27 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Hey, isn’t that usually the case. You have to read the ones that give reasons and see how they fit with your own circumstances. 

There is a 5 hour Giants Causeway and a 9 hour one (slightly different, one has a meal, etc..).

I booked the 5 hour one which would get me back to Belfast at 2. Titanic closes at 6. I wonder if it is possible to do both?

Does anyone know the distance between dock and Titanic exhibit? 

Two quays in Belfast Harbour where cruise ships dock.  The closer one is ~5min taxi / shuttle bus from the Titanic centre; the further one, about 20mins - but involves going over the harbour bridge, which would suffer from bad traffic at rush hours, when you'd want to allow extra time.

Edited by maehara

39 minutes ago, maehara said:

Two quays in Belfast Harbour where cruise ships dock.  The closer one is ~5min taxi / shuttle bus from the Titanic centre; the further one, about 20mins - but involves going over the harbour bridge, which would suffer from bad traffic at rush hours, when you'd want to allow extra time.

Thank you. It appears a new cruise ship pier opened in July 2019.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49152264 

I will be on the Regal Princess. I am trying to figure out which pier I will be at (in May). I assume a new pier would accommodate larger ships but could be wrong. Off to search.

Since you are a local - are more ships going to the new pier? Are certain types of ships going to one pier over the other?

I appreciate your local insights and input.

Edited by Coral

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

Since you are a local - are more ships going to the new pier? Are certain types of ships going to one pier over the other?

New pier is the closer one, and seems to be the default - I pass by the harbour fairly often, and usually only see ships at the 'old' quay when there's more than one visiting.  

Looks like Regal Princess is the only ship in town for both its May 2020 visits, so likely the new terminal - but I'm speculating there, don't hold me to it..!

2 minutes ago, maehara said:

New pier is the closer one, and seems to be the default - I pass by the harbour fairly often, and usually only see ships at the 'old' quay when there's more than one visiting.  

Looks like Regal Princess is the only ship in town for both its May 2020 visits, so likely the new terminal - but I'm speculating there, don't hold me to it..!

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. :) . That would be great if they ran a shuttle to the Titanic exhibit. I may email them.

Edited by Coral

Giants Causeway (have been there 3x). Titanic is a modern museum, more muse than eum.

Driving to the north will enable you to see Ireland. I wouldn't bother with lunch, grab a sandwich and eat on bus, but if able to take a private tour, then paddy Campbells black cab tours is awesome

8 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Titanic is a modern museum, more muse than eum.

I don’t know what you mean by that (I’m sure it’s very clever!), but Titanic Belfast does not describe itself as a museum. 

“Titanic Belfast® is the world’s largest Titanic visitor attraction, extending over nine interpretive and interactive galleries” is what they say on their website. 

21 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Anyone use Paddywagon Tours to Giants CAUSEWAY? Thanks 

You may want to create a new thread on this.

I found this: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2242785-feedback-on-paddywagon-tours-dublin/  

and this: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2527518-private-tour-companies-for-british-isles-cruise/ 

Edited by Coral

On 1/19/2020 at 1:16 PM, Coral said:

There is a 5 hour Giants Causeway and a 9 hour one (slightly different, one has a meal, etc..).

I booked the 5 hour one which would get me back to Belfast at 2. Titanic closes at 6. I wonder if it is possible to do both?

Does anyone know the distance between dock and Titanic exhibit? 

Also keep in mind that Titanic limits the number of tickets sold each day, and typically sells out in advance during busier times.  We were there early June and fortunately bought tickets a few months in advance, as they were sold out five of the seven days that week.

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

Also keep in mind that Titanic limits the number of tickets sold each day, and typically sells out in advance during busier times.  We were there early June and fortunately bought tickets a few months in advance, as they were sold out five of the seven days that week.

Thank you for the tip. This weekend I will email them to find out about shuttle and then if they are running it, I will purchase tickets. 

Edited by Coral

I had arranged for a trip to see BOTH the Titanic Museum and Giants Causeway for about 30 people for August of 2019.  We arrived on a cruise ship and I had arranged a private shore excursion.  We used the AWESOME company McComb's Coach Travel and had a great time.  If I were to do it again, I would go to the Titanic Museum (not far from town) as you can spend so much time there enjoying the exhibits and I would NOT GO to Giants Causeway again.  Both my husband and myself were so disappointed in this UNESCO site that allowed people to crawl ALL OVER the rocks.  It seemed very disrespectful and it looked ridiculous.  We felt it had to be destroying the columns but maybe not?  To answer your question about Paddywagon we have no knowledge of them but did want to pass along the feelings we had on both sites you mentioned.  I also believe that if you did not have a shore excursion, whether a private or cruise line one, picking you up at the port....that they were charging $20 pp rt to get outside the port area to downtown.  I am not 100% sure of this though.  Hope you have a great time!