Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

21 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

All the complainers cruise too much, IMO.  If you have to whine and complain about every little thing on a cruise vacation, maybe you're cruised-out and should try a different vacation next time.

I for one am SUPER excited to be going on my first Celebrity cruise next month on Edge!

Doesn't complaining about complainers make one a complainer?  lol...This site is called cruiseCRITIC...Anyways, it's all about being the happiest you can be.  If a person's favorite part with cruising with X is the library and the sky lounge, recommending they give the E-class has high odds of fostering a complainer.

15 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

Just got off my third Edge cruise since the restart in a sky suite. I love the ship. Heading on the Apex in December and just booked on board an October Apex sailing going to Egypt, Israel and Turkey…can’t wait…

We are on a B3B on the Apex next October, we will see you then!  Can't wait!  Never been to Israel or Egypt, very thrilled.  We are sailing home on her westbound TA, sailing home in style on this stunning ship.  As I said in an earlier post, if we could sail exclusively on E class, we would, but of course, itineraries are also obviously important, haha!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

We are on a B3B on the Apex next October, we will see you then!  Can't wait!  Never been to Israel or Egypt, very thrilled.  We are sailing home on her westbound TA, sailing home in style on this stunning ship.  As I said in an earlier post, if we could sail exclusively on E class, we would, but of course, itineraries are also obviously important, haha!  

I love both E and S class ships. Itinerary and pricing are important also length of cruise.  I no longer wish to do 7 days or less just to much planning traveling and packing involved. My upcoming cruise next week is 10 days and wanting to book an 11 night on Edge for February but prices a bit too steep right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing in 3 weeks, TA, Rome to Florida. Very much looking forward to experiencing it. Luckily I am and always have been easily impressed. So honestly I know I will like it.

That being said, sailed Carnival and HAL once and did not like it very much at all.

If I had a wish list I would have a thallo pool on every ship. I loved those and miss them very much.

Complaints of uncomfortable chairs! what's new? I have always thought they are not real comfortable (too soft, too short, poor back support) But Ive had two back surgeries so I am a tad critical of chairs and how supportive they are.

I just know I will love looking out at the ocean, being served my meals with a smile and meeting new friends

50 minutes ago, motherchic said:

We are sailing in 3 weeks, TA, Rome to Florida. Very much looking forward to experiencing it. Luckily I am and always have been easily impressed. So honestly I know I will like it.

That being said, sailed Carnival and HAL once and did not like it very much at all.

If I had a wish list I would have a thallo pool on every ship. I loved those and miss them very much.

Complaints of uncomfortable chairs! what's new? I have always thought they are not real comfortable (too soft, too short, poor back support) But Ive had two back surgeries so I am a tad critical of chairs and how supportive they are.

I just know I will love looking out at the ocean, being served my meals with a smile and meeting new friends

I am on the same TA as you, and also so excited about it, my first TA.  Happy cruising and hope you have a fantastic time!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

I’m posting my opinion based on actual experience in an Aqua Class room on Edge last January in the Caribbean. There was a very long build-up and major hype about the ship leading up to its delivery, with (animated) people in an X website video mockup demonstrating the infinite verandah and French doors. The IV really sounded like a game-changer for the industry. The Magic Carpet also was a major focal point of the hype.

Things I liked: 

-Using my iPhone on board in new ways like controlling lights, TV, verandah shade in the room, playing Trivia, checking lunch & dinner menus and so on.

- Blu restaurant’s food & service (though I was sorry the shades were kept closed all the time because of the view being permanently blocked by machinery). We usually book Sky Suites and, for me, Blu was the equivalent of Luminae in food & service.

-the novelty & fun of trying a brand new ship with a new look during its maiden season.

-the big light show coordinated with music at the Martini Bar - loved that huge light fixture.

-Having breezy drinks in the daytime on the Magic Carpet.

-the attractive ocean view cafe had great windows and lots of seating.
-Finding a new variety of items to buy in the shops than on the other ships, including a handbag I love.

-The aft, multi-level Eden lounge green decor of live plants was unique and attractive.

-Sampling all the spa’s multiple special steam/sauna-type novelty rooms (included in price of Aqua Class).

Things I did not like:

-the Infinite Verandah was a disappointment - smaller than a balcony, less feeling of being in the open air (because you were actually still inside the cabin with a big picture window). The verandah furniture was uncomfortable with chairs but no lounge, no footrest. The furniture had to be moved to operate the French doors. You could not step outside and enjoy the space while still keeping drapes closed to avoid disturbing a sleeping spouse or roommate.

-the stateroom sofa also wasn’t comfortable, and was too low to the ground. It was decorated with large and very heavy throw pillows that were a nuisance to deal with.

-Useless decorative items took up space on stateroom surfaces, such as a “vase” labeled that it was not to be used with water, and a sharp-textured faux coral in a niche. Aqua cabins had a carafe of strange-tasting room-temperature tea.

-bathroom door closure was magnetic, making a “bang” inevitable when you tried to close it quietly to avoid waking spouse.

-the closet had very minimal hanging space for any dresses or long jackets.

-extremely loud techno music blared throughout the ship even at 7 am in Ocean View.

-Odd layout of certain parts of the ship, with poor or almost non-existent normal elevator access to some levels. The route to reach or leave the Blu restaurant required walking through a dark fun-house style “forest” hall of mirrors with eerie music - which got pretty old four times a day.

-There did not seem to be enough lounges and most chairs were not comfortable.

-entertainment, including the costumed characters in the Eden Lounge and shows in the theater, went beyond novel into being just strange. A ship’s representative speaking at a program about the entertainment said, in effect, it was expected/created to cause discussion or get a reaction rather than to actually entertain.

-Rather than go on with the negatives, I’ll end by saying the ship was more sizzle than steak in my opinion, and was decorated to make a designer statement rather than provide comfort. Trendy for the sake of trendy, form over function. It seemed created to create buzz and justify big price jumps at the expense of delivering very basic passenger service.

Caribbean Chris,  we just got off the Apex and couldn't agree with you more!  We have cruised on the Constellation and the Reflection class and have to say we enjoyed the Reflection most.  When we cruise we look forward to being entertained and not have to question why for anything.

• Like 2