Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

About the loss of forward looking views - 

As I look at the deck plan, it seems the gym and spa have full views to the front of the ship. So, perhaps not a place to take a cocktail on your Lifetracker, but an option for sail in views?

1 hour ago, GRBlizz said:

About the loss of forward looking views - 

As I look at the deck plan, it seems the gym and spa have full views to the front of the ship. So, perhaps not a place to take a cocktail on your Lifetracker, but an option for sail in views?

The only way to reach the forward area outside the Spa, is through the main entrance to the Spa. I believe you need to have access to the Spa, either through your booked accommodation or by purchasing a day pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, Silkroad said:

I haven't counted the venues OR the seats within the venues, s

You have 9 pages in this post complaining about the numerous venues that have been removed from the Edge indoors.  I would be more than happy to go over the list again if you want.   But I feel that this would be a rehash of this entire thread.

Now if you want to count the seats within the venues go ahead and do it.  Perhaps Celebrity could do the count for us.  Perhaps someone could confirm that Texas is bigger than Colorado.  It is obvious to the casual observer but I have not surveyed both states myself.  Regarding counting, that is an undergrad class in college.  For instance would you count The Club which did not open for drinks until after 8 PM on our cruise?  I would not.  My experience was should I go to the Martini Bar or to Eden?  Or for a change up should I go to Eden or the Martini Bar?  We do not do outdoors after 5 PM.

I think that a better count would be how many usable seats were available in Eden or the Martini Bar.  My count would be ZERO.  There was standing room only in the Martini Bar and the available seats in Eden were at the back and obscured.

On S class I could always find an empty seat somewhere and somewhere where it was not crowded.  The Sky Lounge was a gem.  It was a gem for photographers,  people who just wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of the ship, and it's views were second to none.

I love the S class but felt that E class was more of an RCL type of experience.

My comments are about after 5 PM in the evening.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The only way to reach the forward area outside the Spa, is through the main entrance to the Spa. I believe you need to have access to the Spa, either through your booked accommodation or by purchasing a day pass.

Ah, I didn't know you had to pay to enter the area or use the basic equipment. That's a shame!

I don't think the IV "balcony" would be a good cabin if the ship got quarantined, and the opening/closing was controlled by crew.  However, better than an inside cabin. 😷  Prayers for all in this present situation.

Most of this thread consists of: How dare your subjective likes and dislikes differ from My subjective likes and dislikes!!!

- Love the IV, it turns my SR into a big veranda!; Hate the IV, it’s an Oceanview SR with a window that can open!

- Love Eden, very unique and beautiful view out the stern!. Hate Eden, its weird with weird people running around in it!

- There are fewer common venues/lounges!; The Martini bar too big! 

- El Bacio is aways crowded unlike on S-Class!; Followed by 10 threads complaining about al those readers and card players sitting around taking all the room in El Bacio on S- and M-Class.

- No forward viewing......Oops, now that one is true unless you want to sit and try looking out in the spa!

Den

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Most of this thread consists of: How dare your subjective opinion of your likes and dislikes differ from My subjective opinion of my likes and dislikes!!!

- Love the IV. Hate the IV

- Love Eden. Hate Eden

- fewer common venues/lounges. Martini bar too big.

- El Bacio Aways crowded and fine on S-Class - followed by reading on S- and M-Class threads how terrible readers and card player are taking u seats in El Bacio.

- No forward viewing......now that one is true unless you want to try sitting in the spa and looking out.

Den

Edited by Denny01

5 hours ago, 216Cruiser said:

As someone who has bounced back and forth between RC and Carnival several times, this looks awesome and we can't wait to try it out. From what I see, most of the complaints seem trivial to me and I'm also pretty easy to please. 

If you're easy to please then you will be happy. Even though I dropped down from an IV concierge balcony to a regular verandah to save money if the opportunity presents itself and the cost to upgrade is not too much more I would not mind it so much. My itinerary is so port intensive that I cant see myself in the cabin a lot except to sleep.

• Like 1

Ignore the negativity. We had an incredible time on EDGE in August. I think she is probably now our favourite ship. Loved everything about her and would return in a heart beat when finances permit. Go and have a great time !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just finished my Edge cruise and loved it! The staff was excellent and attentive (many are transferring to Apex at the beginning of March), everything was clean and well maintained, the new style of venues were enjoyable, the entertainment was top notch.

Was everything perfect? No...and I challenge you to find any vacation on land or sea that ticks off every box unless you have unlimited $$$$.

That being said what YOU find on your cruise will likely differ from my opinion or anyone else’s. Were there things I would change about Edge? Sure! Would anything stop me from sailing on her again? Only the price.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For those looking for info on Edge-Class IV SRs and so on. This is an excellent source of info. Updating so you can find it. I will be going on Celebrity cruise ships of various classes for the following:

Millennium Class: Love the smaller intimacy of this still large cruise ship; love the Spa Pool; been on many cruises and know how to relax

Solstice Class: Love the Oceanview Buffet setup; love the additional bars and the classic design approach; 

Edge Class: Love the modern approach; love the IV SRs’ love Eden bar; love the Martini Bar.

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, GRBlizz said:

Ah, I didn't know you had to pay to enter the area or use the basic equipment. That's a shame!

I don't think that is true, that said, I do not know exactly where the gym is located on the Edge...I will starting this March 29th.  Not that I will use said equipment.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

We just returned from our B2B on Edge.

We have sailed on every cruise ship built for Celebrity and each has a distinct character which attracted us or caused us to say.. never again on that ship.

Century will always remain our favorite.

Edge Class will now be our first choice if the price is right.

Reflection is our least favorite because of crowding issues.

As Zenith cruisers we LOVE the Retreat lounge and would stay there all  day long just for the view.

We try to avoid the sun as much as possible so no outside location or pool activities are of interest.. no chair hog issues for us..

The IV is not a balcony.. it's a cabin with a window that opens.  Pushing that button to open or close is a pain

However the average person spends so little time on a balcony or non existing one so  that issue would not attract or turn us away from considering any ship.

We loved the ocean view cafe and the offerings that are superior to other Celebrity ships.

Staffing is about 10% more per passenger than on other X ships.  $$ spent on food is also higher.

The ship is not perfect.  Every ships has ++ or --.  I miss the Sky Lounge.. We really miss the Rendezvous Lounge

Park West does not take over a lounge!!! a major pain in the beginning of the alphabet... and intrusive activity on other ships.

We also booked 4 Apex cruises for next year.... putting our $$ where our interests lie.

• Like 7

On 1/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, Silkroad said:

I haven't counted the venues or the seats within the venues, so I can neither confirm nor refute your claim. Do you have data to back it up? You had no issue on S class. Fair enough. I had exactly the same issues on both S class and E class. Your solution is to eschew E class in future, and mine is to continue enjoying both ship classes. It's a win-win.

Here is a lady who explains in detail all of the public areas that were stripped out of the Edge.  It is an in detail description of where all of the great views on S class went and where all of the public spaces on S class went.  She compares the decks plans of S class versus E class.  She can confirm my claims in detail.

I hope that this helps.  It is one of the best reviews that I have seen about the Edge.

https://anncavittfisher.com/2019/02/21/has-celebrity-cruises-sailed-over-the-edge/

Many of her observations are discussed in this thread.  She adds the details.

She details it much better than I could.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing this review. NM Traveller It was fascinating and as objective  and comprehensive as a personal review could be.  As we loved S class ships I assumed newer would only be better until reading this review and others.  The suites and Retreat sound great and I can see where the Cruise Industry is courting this segment to maximize profitability.....kind of like new ballparks that focus design around suites and premium seating areas.  As the author Ms. Fisher said, if I was looking to spend these kind of dollars on a cruise in the Caribbean I would likely look at Premium Lines. We found MSC Yacht Club the perfect alternative.  Comparatively reasonable prices with the same dedicated pool and dining areas.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Thanks for sharing this review. NM Traveller It was fascinating and as objective  and comprehensive as a personal review could be.  As we loved S class ships I assumed newer would only be better until reading this review and others.  The suites and Retreat sound great and I can see where the Cruise Industry is courting this segment to maximize profitability.....kind of like new ballparks that focus design around suites and premium seating areas.  As the author Ms. Fisher said, if I was looking to spend these kind of dollars on a cruise in the Caribbean I would likely look at Premium Lines. We found MSC Yacht Club the perfect alternative.  Comparatively reasonable prices with the same dedicated pool and dining areas.  

mSC ships seem so huge.  Not for me

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is a lady who explains in detail all of the public areas that were stripped out of the Edge.  It is an in detail description of where all of the great views on S class went and where all of the public spaces on S class went.  She compares the decks plans of S class versus E class.  She can confirm my claims in detail.

I hope that this helps.  It is one of the best reviews that I have seen about the Edge.

https://anncavittfisher.com/2019/02/21/has-celebrity-cruises-sailed-over-the-edge/

Many of her observations are discussed in this thread.  She adds the details.

She details it much better than I could.

We have enjoyed our three Edge cruises.  The retreat is THE reason that we love the ship but I think she describes very well the problems that many people face.  I would trade Eden for the Sky lounge any day.  The one positive... Park West does not take over any lounge.

We loved the Edge and will definitely sale on an Edge class ship again but Virgin Voyages is tempting me too.

When I think back to my Chandris cruise back in 1070, I never imagined it would transform into a cruise line with “Edge” ships