Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

On 2/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, GRBlizz said:

Ah, I didn't know you had to pay to enter the area or use the basic equipment. That's a shame!

No charge for use of gym equip.. all brand new...great views

Access to  the small outdoor area in from of thermal suite ( golden penguin)  is through the  thermal suite...need the pass

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Esprit said:

We loved the Edge and will definitely sale on an Edge class ship again but Virgin Voyages is tempting me too.

When I think back to my Chandris cruise back in 1070, I never imagined it would transform into a cruise line with “Edge” ships 

1070..? Wow, that must have been a great sailing! Were you assisting William the Conqueror? 😉 😁

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Haha 7

We just booked the Apex as well by transferring a NRD from RCCL Symphony of the Seas.  The pricing for Symphony was ridiculous and the Apex was better priced with all 4 perks.  We are sailing the newly Amped Oasis of the Seas in October so we will get our dose of the Oasis Class and therefore don't need to sail the Symphony and can look forward to the Apex.  We are Diamond on RCCL and have sallied most of the classes with the most being on the Oasis class and Quantum class so in looking for something different we are very excited about the Apex.

The posts in this topic have been fascinating and quite entertaining.  All the negative posts about the Edge class wants me to sail the Apex even more!  We started cruising many years ago and remember how formal and classy it was and yes every ship had a library!  We loved those cruises but I also loved my NCL cruise on the Escape last June where I could have packed just sweat pants and t-shirts only and still would have been one of the better dressed passengers.  Point being we research a lot before booking a cruise so we have a really good idea of what to expect. 

I thought it was hilarious in the review link that NIM Traveller posted where the Celebrity Elite couple were "furious" about their cruise and they "hated" the Edge.  Really!?!  First of all how do you hate a cruise, give your head a shake and second being furious that all the beloved venues were missing is all on your for not doing your homework.  And you call yourself Elite! :classic_laugh:

I am looking forward to something different and so far everything I have read tells me Apex will be awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, truckswain said:

We just booked the Apex as well by transferring a NRD from RCCL Symphony of the Seas.  The pricing for Symphony was ridiculous and the Apex was better priced with all 4 perks.  We are sailing the newly Amped Oasis of the Seas in October so we will get our dose of the Oasis Class and therefore don't need to sail the Symphony and can look forward to the Apex.  We are Diamond on RCCL and have sallied most of the classes with the most being on the Oasis class and Quantum class so in looking for something different we are very excited about the Apex.

The posts in this topic have been fascinating and quite entertaining.  All the negative posts about the Edge class wants me to sail the Apex even more!  We started cruising many years ago and remember how formal and classy it was and yes every ship had a library!  We loved those cruises but I also loved my NCL cruise on the Escape last June where I could have packed just sweat pants and t-shirts only and still would have been one of the better dressed passengers.  Point being we research a lot before booking a cruise so we have a really good idea of what to expect. 

I thought it was hilarious in the review link that NIM Traveller posted where the Celebrity Elite couple were "furious" about their cruise and they "hated" the Edge.  Really!?!  First of all how do you hate a cruise, give your head a shake and second being furious that all the beloved venues were missing is all on your for not doing your homework.  And you call yourself Elite! :classic_laugh:

I am looking forward to something different and so far everything I have read tells me Apex will be awesome.

Some people are not happy with anything, especially if someone else likes it.

I'm still adjusting to the "cruise ships" concept over the ocean liner.  I fondly recall the trans-Atlantics on the old Cunard Queens to include Queen Mary currently a floating hotel, the SS United States (I learned to swim in its inside pool) and SS America, and the original Holland-America ships.  Classes were separated by louvered doors and didn't mix.  Small cabins with window portholes, and a steel cover for the porthole, if needed.  Entertainment was the evening horse race using wooden horses and dice to move the avatars.  Everyone dressed for dinner every night - ugh!  It was the only way to travel in the 1940s through the 50s until the event of the DC-7 and then jets with trans-Atlantic range.  

Travel convenances evolve with better technology.  From my perspective the mega-ships (Oasis Class) are an abomination while the Millie class are about right for comfort, class and transits between ports.  Solstice and Princess' Royal classes are equivalent - beautiful ships designed for the passenger.  Tried Edge and loved the IV cabin but not much else.  The "Black Forest" outside to Blu reminded me of the forests on Altair 4!  Creepy.  And the underlit steps were downright dangerous going down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truckswain said:

I believe the writer wanted to say they are 'elitists' while being at the Elite level in the Captain's Club, which is fine just as long as it is admitted to...

LOL...

bon voyage

2 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

The "Black Forest" outside to Blu reminded me of the forests on Altair 4!  Creepy.  And the underlit steps were downright dangerous going down.

It took me a while to figure out what that area was.  Many on this board did not know what it was.  I thought that it was wasted space.  I am sure that I annoyed my wife by asking her what the weird space was about 10 times or more.

I thought that the Edenists were weird.  Altair 4 would have been an improvement for them.  Duh I lost my stick.  Duh I lost my stick.  More sophmoric than anything...  Highly talented people without a coherent show.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 2/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Cruise a holic said:

mSC ships seem so huge.  Not for me

If you sail in Yacht Club, no need to deal with the rest of the huge ship.  You are met at the curb, whisked through security, taken to a dedicated boarding lounge, and then on to the ship.  Once in Yacht Club, everything is there.  Restaurant, lounge, pool.  No need to venture out into the rest of the ship.  It is a ship within a ship.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If you sail in Yacht Club, no need to deal with the rest of the huge ship.  You are met at the curb, whisked through security, taken to a dedicated boarding lounge, and then on to the ship.  Once in Yacht Club, everything is there.  Restaurant, lounge, pool.  No need to venture out into the rest of the ship.  It is a ship within a ship.

That is the only way to sail on that ship- same with NCL- only Haven worth it!

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

That is the only way to sail on that ship- same with NCL- only Haven worth it!

Some far reaching generalizations- first regarding MSC and then NCL. You are most certainly welcome to your opinions but I have to admit I am curious.....You booked a trip on Oasis of the Seas and then three consecutive trips on Allure of the Seas but feel the MSC and NCL vessels are too large?

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Some far reaching generalizations- first regarding MSC and then NCL. You are most certainly welcome to your opinions but I have to admit I am curious.....You booked a trip on Oasis of the Seas and then three consecutive trips on Allure of the Seas but feel the MSC and NCL vessels are too large?

Yes.  Ncl is poorly designed. Very choppy the pool is extremely crowded.  Msc ships are huge.  However if you are in the yacht club so much better.  I do not like the the quantum of the seas either.  The promenade is also choppy.  Actually our favorite is the celebrity solstice class ships. On ncl cabins outside the haven are very small

again my opinion, others might not agree.  have sailed over the years have sailed on over 45 cruises. Our favorite royal ships are oasis class

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 2 years later...

For me, after a long period of reflecting my thoughts between Equinox and Edge class, I guess it is that "inside out" design of Edge class.

No matter the weather, I like to return to the inner life of the ship after a long time outside. In Solstice class, that cozy embrace makes me feel at home. On Edge class, I never felt that cozy embrace cause those ships always made me feel like "gotta go somewhere".

That might be my personal thing only, I know.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We loved the Edge class.  Do not know why people didn't like.  It has so much to offer and is new and amazing.  Some people just have a problem with change.

We did also. Initially apprehensive to book but wow so beautiful. Love the huge lap pool and Eden. Magic carpet was amazing. Great aft views from Eden.  Not a fan of the shops as very pricey but then again I saved some money. So many other areas to love.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

We did also. Initially apprehensive to book but wow so beautiful. Love the huge lap pool and Eden. Magic carpet was amazing. Great aft views from Eden.  Not a fan of the shops as very pricey but then again I saved some money. So many other areas to love.

Agree about the pricey shops, but I am not a fan of the $5.00 tee shirts and flee market shops.  You can shop at the ports for those types of items- tiffany, Bulgari etc., on the Edge class now.  We recently sailed on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas and they sell second hand merchandise and watches.  Times changing.

45 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Agree about the pricey shops, but I am not a fan of the $5.00 tee shirts and flee market shops.  You can shop at the ports for those types of items- tiffany, Bulgari etc., on the Edge class now.  We recently sailed on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas and they sell second hand merchandise and watches.  Times changing.

@Cruise a holicnot a fan of the 5 or 10 dollar items either however I did find a pair of Bvlgari sunglasses on a recent Silhouette cruise at 75% off. Turned out the ship had discontinued  carrying the brand.  What a barhain that was! 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

No sky lounge

Not enough bars and no quiet intimate ones

No reasonably priced gift shops

No card room 

No coffee  table in stateroom

TV doesn’t swivel

uncomfortable seating in stateroom and throughout  the ship

there’s more but this is what comes to mind when I think of The Blunders of Edge

Well I just back from the edge and loved so much I booked the Apex TA in April.  -the Infinite Verandah is genius loved it, added so much space to the room, added so much light to the room.

No Sky Lounge, this was a big waste of space, no one ever in there. Check out Eden or The Magic Carpet by far better than the empty Sky Suite.

At least 10 Bars! No quite bars sure their is just not just before dinner.

The round foot stool is also used as a table the lid comes off for storage.

I could see it fine from the couch. Best ship ever built IMO.

https://postcardjar.com/guide-to-bars-on-the-celebrity-cruises-edge/#:~:text=There are at least 10,the cruise line's newest ship.

Edited by southernbreezes

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

@Cruise a holicnot a fan of the 5 or 10 dollar items either however I did find a pair of Bvlgari sunglasses on a recent Silhouette cruise at 75% off. Turned out the ship had discontinued  carrying the brand.  What a barhain that was! 

great!  Sometimes you can find a bargain- but we all have different definations of a bargain.  We stay in a sky suite and love all of the amenities including the suite.  We also had friends in a aft true balcony cabin and they loved it.  The concept of multiple main dining rooms is wonderful- like a specialty restaurant everyday, if you have a regular stateroom and anytime dining.  The theatre is great.  A good use of technology.  We enjoyed the seating around the ship and the regular pool and pool deck are great.  But of course not for everyone. The only problem we had on the edge vs. the apex is that the sky suites had a silly rocking chair that took up a load of room and was not necessary.  Has been removed and replaced by a coffee table.   Also the suite lounge on the apex has been greatly improved as has  the suite sun deck.  Great sp restaurants and the grill is so much better on the Edge class ships.  IMO.  However we love the S class ships, especially the Silhoutte and Reflection.  And the Summit is also great for a restful cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Interesting how the Edge class ships can Polarize Opinions!

I was excited to be on one of the First Edge Sailings and while I figured out it was Celebrities take on what the Future of Cruising should be Like it was big Turn Off to me.

I understand Why they are doing it but found more things to Dislike than Like so I'm glad the M class and S class ships are still  a better fit for My cruising future.

It's great that We all have something to satisfy our Cruising likes.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, D. B. said:

Interesting how the Edge class ships can Polarize Opinions!

I was excited to be on one of the First Edge Sailings and while I figured out it was Celebrities take on what the Future of Cruising should be Like it was big Turn Off to me.

I understand Why they are doing it but found more things to Dislike than Like so I'm glad the M class and S class ships are still  a better fit for My cruising future.

It's great that We all have something to satisfy our Cruising likes.

I've only been  on S and E class ships and do love the S class been on all except for Solstice  multiple times. Have had some wonderful memories and met some very nice people. 

All the complainers cruise too much, IMO.  If you have to whine and complain about every little thing on a cruise vacation, maybe you're cruised-out and should try a different vacation next time.

I for one am SUPER excited to be going on my first Celebrity cruise next month on Edge!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

All the complainers cruise too much, IMO.  If you have to whine and complain about every little thing on a cruise vacation, maybe you're cruised-out and should try a different vacation next time.

I for one am SUPER excited to be going on my first Celebrity cruise next month on Edge!

You're on vacation regardless of what ship.  Enjoy. There are so many who would love to be in our shoes.  

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, kwokpot said:

I have been on the Edge twice and will be on the Apex in November. What I find most infuriating about loyal Celebrity cruisers is the amount of complaining that goes on. The Edge Class was built to be different and NOT like any of the other Celebrity cruise ships. From the very start to was marketed to be different. The Edge Class is built to resemble a Resort Hotel in South Beach, Miami and in my opinion it mostly succeeds. For one to appreciate The Edge Class you have to appreciate the aesthetics of the ship. It's all about the design, decor, ambiance. The buffet is the nicest of all the Celebrity Class ships. The Dining Rooms are beautiful designs. People have complained that they don't like the four small divided up designs of the main dining rooms; they say it's just like dining at a land based restaurant. Ummm, that's the whole point of the design!

Much like what Virgin Voyages is trying to do with their new cruiseline, Celebrity is trying to attract NEW cruisers that have never cruised before. For those people, they don't Need a Card Room, they don't NEED a multi-level main Dining Room. They Don't NEED to hear a Caribbean Steel Band Playing at the poolside. These are all elements that long time cruisers seem to want and it was on PURPOSE that the Edge Class of ships left these things out. 

SO perfectly said!  We have sailed on Edge and Apex and will be on Beyond next month and canNOT wait!  This will be our 28th Celebrity cruise.  We are thrilled with the E class ships and would sail exclusively on them if possible.  One point is true four us, we have not sailed in an infinite veranda yet as we do love a true veranda, and have very much enjoyed the larger-than-ever, sunset verandas.  The style and design of  new E class is off the chain - gorgeous, innovative, and the theater - wow!!  And Eden!  SO many positives to be said about Eden the restaurant, Eden the cafe and Eden the theater!  Fun fact is that the Apex and the Beyond (not the Edge), have TWO full scale production casts!  So that there are double the production shows on Apex and Beyond - full scale shows in the main theater, and also, in the Eden theater - meaning, the space at the Eden bar.  I learned this while on the theater tour and confirmed by Giuseppe, cruise director extraordinaire.  I could go on and on, but let's go back to the art - it's just incredible - I took the onboard art tours on both Edge and Apex to learn more of the insider details, great tour, highly recommend.  OH, one last thing - the new design of the Grand Foyer - so great!  The Martini Bar, the tiered seatings, the "light show" above the martini bar - the entire space is so inviting - intimate at the same time as being spacious and allowing plenty of seating - brilliant!

• Like 1