Just booked Apex (1st celebrity cruise) - why so much hate for edge class?

Docbizarro

1 hour ago, mafig said:

I remember......

I remember when Solstice first came out.  It was NOT universally loved.

There were many complaints.

No one liked the storage in the Balcony rooms.  "These are supposedly designed by women?"  "not enough room to put clothes.  Shelves above the bed that are meant for only tall people."

I remember reading the dining room was too sterile, too cold-looking.

Complaints about the large overhang that blocked sun on the upper decks.

Complaints about putting the new Aqua Class directly below the pool deck.

My memory fails me for the rest.  But I know there's more.....

Not to worry, I Am sure someone will post the rest, from that time.

Like someone will post about this time in the not too far future...

bon voyage

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

The article quoted experts who researched on that and were not just anecdotal incidents. I was NOT talking about people that have illnesses compromising one's immune systems and yes, YOU should not be handling borrowed, used books so therefore since YOU do not need to touch them  don't use libraries but since I don't think the average person will die from handling a book read by others, they shouldn't ban libraries because of THAT reason. If as someone else posted they want to make room for new rooms etc. that's something else entirely but often libraries are there NOT just to store books but where they might have computers or just a quiet place to sit  and read where people won't be talking  (we learned from childhood to be quiet in a library, you can't shush people in most other places.)  If you can find evidence that a person got a fatal illness from a book please post a link on here,

Edited by evag

I want just thinking of fatal illness, I would imagine ships these days want to minimize any illness sickness even if just a 24hr thing for most people.  As we spend a few thousand on these holidays a few books or even better a treeless Kindle or equiv solution is a small additional cost and ensures your not handling a book a noro of flu ridden passenger was previously using.

48 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Katie, is that a sky suite?  If so, it looks as if they fixed the chair under the desk problem.  And I see a table!  What about the balcony furniture?

There was never a desk chair problem. Here’s a pic of our S1 in January ‘19.  Also, it has never been an issue in the IV cabins.

653D4A41-8BF7-4F24-AA02-11A22CFD177E.jpeg

We sailed on the Edge in Dec, 2019.  I think it is either a "love it" or "hate it" kind of experience.  If people prefer an "open balcony", they might be disappointed by the Infinite Verandas.  I would say that the IVs would be super useful for cruises in cooler climates, but maybe a turn off for warm-weather cruises.  Our balcony was open.  We usually sail in Aqua class, but I didn't want that for a Key West/Tortola/St Martin itinerary, so we had to upgrade to Sky Suites to get an open balcony.   The price difference between AQ and SS was negligible, so that wasn't a big deal.  When we factored in the extra $300 on board credit and the price of upgrading to a premium beverage package, we actually came out quite a bit ahead of the deal.   However, if the price difference between open balconies and IVs was bigger, it might have been a different story. 

The biggest issue I had with the Edge was the furnishings, which in some cases seemed more decorative than truly functional/comfortable (especially for older backs and backsides!  LOL).  No footstools on the balcony.   The shops are all very high end (read--out of my price range!) and practically deserted as a result.  But aside from that, I loved the Edge.  From the avant-garde performances in Eden (I wanted more of these!) and the gorgeous art, (not to everyone's taste; I heard lots of complaints about the "Weird" art, but as an artist myself, I am a bit quirky!  LOL)  to the lick-the-plate kind of good food available throughout the ship and the very comfy beds, I was thrilled.  I felt so sad when we had to leave.  Looking forward to the Apex! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mafig said:

I remember......

I remember when Solstice first came out.  It was NOT universally loved.

There were many complaints.

No one liked the storage in the Balcony rooms.  "These are supposedly designed by women?"  "not enough room to put clothes.  Shelves above the bed that are meant for only tall people."

I remember reading the dining room was too sterile, too cold-looking.

Complaints about the large overhang that blocked sun on the upper decks.

Complaints about putting the new Aqua Class directly below the pool deck.

My memory fails me for the rest.  But I know there's more.....

I remember the same.  In fact, some people still complain about the over bed storage on S class, even while others are complaining that it’s gone (on ships that have been Revolutionized). And remember the complaints about exorbitant prices on Solstice? One thing is certain. There are a lot of people who come on these boards to complain about things they should have researched before booking, and still others who complain without ever having been on board. Everything changes. Celebrity’s ships will continue to change, as will other lines, and other ships. We can roll with the changes (reveling in the ones we enjoy), move to other lines, or stop cruising altogether. I’m still enjoying what Celebrity has to offer, including the Edge class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quicklabs said:

We sailed on the Edge in Dec, 2019.  I think it is either a "love it" or "hate it" kind of experience.  If people prefer an "open balcony", they might be disappointed by the Infinite Verandas.  I would say that the IVs would be super useful for cruises in cooler climates, but maybe a turn off for warm-weather cruises.  Our balcony was open.  We usually sail in Aqua class, but I didn't want that for a Key West/Tortola/St Martin itinerary, so we had to upgrade to Sky Suites to get an open balcony.   The price difference between AQ and SS was negligible, so that wasn't a big deal.  When we factored in the extra $300 on board credit and the price of upgrading to a premium beverage package, we actually came out quite a bit ahead of the deal.   However, if the price difference between open balconies and IVs was bigger, it might have been a different story. 

The biggest issue I had with the Edge was the furnishings, which in some cases seemed more decorative than truly functional/comfortable (especially for older backs and backsides!  LOL).  No footstools on the balcony.   The shops are all very high end (read--out of my price range!) and practically deserted as a result.  But aside from that, I loved the Edge.  From the avant-garde performances in Eden (I wanted more of these!) and the gorgeous art, (not to everyone's taste; I heard lots of complaints about the "Weird" art, but as an artist myself, I am a bit quirky!  LOL)  to the lick-the-plate kind of good food available throughout the ship and the very comfy beds, I was thrilled.  I felt so sad when we had to leave.  Looking forward to the Apex! 

I'm actually glad the shops are high end that just means I won't be spending any money there.  I hope the sales people in the shops are not on commission.  I enjoy looking then go buy the same item in port cheaper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, evag said:

“The article quoted experts who researched on that and were not just anecdotal incidents. “

I question your quoted “experts”. This is from the university of Georgia research in regard to the Corona Virus

Small to large droplets aerosolized when an infected person sneezes or coughs, and these can be inhaled into the nose and lungs. The aerosolization is thought to be the primary route of virus entry. However, droplets containing viruses can also be deposited on hard surfaces and persist for several days. A person can then touch a contaminated surface and self-inoculate by inserting their fingers in their nose, mouth or possibly eyes.”

The hard surface could very well be a book. When people sneeze they avoid their hands but generally don’t consider shielding the book on their lap. Given that the virus can live several days, that could be a problem. 

5 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I remember the same.  In fact, some people still complain about the over bed storage on S class, even while others are complaining that it’s gone (on ships that have been Revolutionized). And remember the complaints about exorbitant prices on Solstice? One thing is certain. There are a lot of people who come on these boards to complain about things they should have researched before booking, and still others who complain without ever having been on board. Everything changes. Celebrity’s ships will continue to change, as will other lines, and other ships. We can roll with the changes (reveling in the ones we enjoy), move to other lines, or stop cruising altogether. I’m still enjoying what Celebrity has to offer, including the Edge class. 

It was a Solstice cruise in late March of 2009 that led us to becoming Celebrity fans.  We weren’t familiar with Celebrity ships but ended up very happy with X and its other class of ships.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:41 AM, NMTraveller said:

The Edge also has more cruisers on board.  If you like more people the ship is for you.

Can´t say there is much of a difference in the number of passengers between Edge and S-class. Equinox has 2 850 passengers, Reflection 3 046 and Edge is in the middle with 2 918 passengers.

With a difference of only 68 passengers (Equinox vs Edge), surley that can't be noticed in a total of almost 3 000?

On 1/24/2020 at 9:48 PM, fragilek said:

For us the biggest blunder was no light warning on balcony when it was unlocked by captain so if locked you have to keep getting up out of bed to go try it to see if unlocked again - we liked it down through the night so if it got locked we couldn't keep getting up to try see if it had been released yet

Could you explain what you mean by the captain unlocking the door???

1 hour ago, Jorg_ said:

Can´t say there is much of a difference in the number of passengers between Edge and S-class. Equinox has 2 850 passengers, Reflection 3 046 and Edge is in the middle with 2 918 passengers.

With a difference of only 68 passengers (Equinox vs Edge), surley that can't be noticed in a total of almost 3 000?

But isn't the Edge a smaller ship than S class? I read somewhere that it is.  I also read that there will be some similarities with the new Apex but also many differences from the Edge. I anticipate there will be a utube March 30th when shes christened.

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not the door. The upper section of the IV. In cases of weather or for cleaning, the bridge can lock the IV so that it cannot be lowered. 

Would that also apply to a regular balcony door? I booked one of them rather than the IV.  In all my cruises never had the door locked by the captain.

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Would that also apply to a regular balcony door? I booked one of them rather than the IV.  In all my cruises never had the door locked by the captain.

I have no clue. It is the upper portion of the WINDOW and not the door that gets locked.

Honestly having been in a regular OV cabin before where the air conditioning was affected by selfish people leaving their balcony doors open, I wish there was a way for them to shut and lock them when they had been left open for too long.

• Like 1

I’ve found this a very interesting subject. Like many others I was thrilled to hear about the wonderful new ship, The Edge. Then I started to hear what was being left out, including the library which to me gave a delightful spot for a quiet read. 

My main concern I’d the worry that our beautiful Solstice class ships will be Edgized. I love Celebrity and really love Eclipse, on which we will be sailing next week and I’m just hoping the refurbishment won’t include the taking over of public areas for suites and their perks and changes to other beloved spaces. 

I’m not making a judgement on Edge, as we Australians don’t make long journeys to go on seven day overpriced cruises, so it doesn’t give me what we want at the moment, but I’m grateful for the input of everyone, positive or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is always interesting about these threads is you learn the different tastes people have. We cut our teeth cruising on Disney with no libraries for example so that was a surprise to us when the Freedom of seas had one. The only time we went there was to get the daily puzzle sheet for my wife. 

I honestly don’t think a cruise line can ever build a ship that will make everyone happy. They either have to compromise which may not be good, or do like Celebrity and have different styles of ships each with unique features. 

The Magic carpet on the Edge for example we loved it, great spot to hang out. Many, maybe the majority, dislike it. Tough job to design a ship everyone likes:)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have no clue. It is the upper portion of the WINDOW and not the door that gets locked.

Honestly having been in a regular OV cabin before where the air conditioning was affected by selfish people leaving their balcony doors open, I wish there was a way for them to shut and lock them when they had been left open for too long.

I realize it's the window the captain can close as there is no door. If it rained the room and furniture would get damaged as no drainage system. I've always kept my balcony doors closed but never once has captain had to close due to bad weather. 

37 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

What is always interesting about these threads is you learn the different tastes people have. We cut our teeth cruising on Disney with no libraries for example so that was a surprise to us when the Freedom of seas had one. The only time we went there was to get the daily puzzle sheet for my wife. 

I honestly don’t think a cruise line can ever build a ship that will make everyone happy. They either have to compromise which may not be good, or do like Celebrity and have different styles of ships each with unique features. 

The Magic carpet on the Edge for example we loved it, great spot to hang out. Many, maybe the majority, dislike it. Tough job to design a ship everyone likes:)

Absolutely agree. Every ship I have been on has 'good' and 'bad' features for our tastes.

That said, I think valid push back comes when something as essential as a cabin balcony is changed - for balcony lovers this  IV concept MAY be unappealing and significant enough to look at other vessels. Having remote locking of the upper portion would fundamentally bother me also. JMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larwos said:

I’ve found this a very interesting subject. Like many others I was thrilled to hear about the wonderful new ship, The Edge. Then I started to hear what was being left out, including the library which to me gave a delightful spot for a quiet read. 

My main concern I’d the worry that our beautiful Solstice class ships will be Edgized. I love Celebrity and really love Eclipse, on which we will be sailing next week and I’m just hoping the refurbishment won’t include the taking over of public areas for suites and their perks and changes to other beloved spaces. 

I’m not making a judgement on Edge, as we Australians don’t make long journeys to go on seven day overpriced cruises, so it doesn’t give me what we want at the moment, but I’m grateful for the input of everyone, positive or not. 

I'm glad this discussion is helping you.  Enjoy your trip on the Eclipse.

8 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

for balcony lovers this  IV concept MAY be unappealing

This is the reason why I booked one of the few regular balconies on the new Apex.  It was $ 600 cheaper than the IV with 2 chairs and table outside sliding door.

19 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Absolutely agree. Every ship I have been on has 'good' and 'bad' features for our tastes.

That said, I think valid push back comes when something as essential as a cabin balcony is changed - for balcony lovers this  IV concept MAY be unappealing and significant enough to look at other vessels. Having remote locking of the upper portion would fundamentally bother me also. JMHO

I am pretty sure I would agree with you. We haven't done a balcony cabin since 2014, and now that we are almost done paying for our kids college we have found we actually like the inside and oceanview life paying for college forced us into, 1st world problems I know. So not sure we would ever book a IV unless we had the vacation time and could book one of those last minute cruise deals that Celebrity has.

We do know the suite life is not for us, we are to simple of people apparently, as we had no use for the Disney concierge hosts. Very nice people, just never took advantage of the services offered to us so felt like we wasted our money on those trips.

Edited by cgolf1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

No one controls your balcony "door" except you.    I haven't gone back through the entire thread, but I seem to remember that you booked a SV, which is what we had.  Also, if you enjoy a lounger, be sure to ask your steward.  The SV has two chairs and a table; we asked for and received two loungers as soon as we boarded. Very comfortable!