Dear Princess, if you want to know how to run Elevators....

antsp

Book a cruise on the new MSC Grandiosa ship. 
Currently onboard the MSC Grandiosa, amazing ship and tech onboard. The elevators are something I’ve not seen before, in each elevator lobby there is a touch screen with a pad on for calling your deck number, the system tells you what elevator to use and directs you to it. Once on the elevator no button inside needs to be pressed the system automatically takes you to your requested deck. The advantages are no stopping at all decks, and only passengers going in that direction will board the elevator. 12 elevators at each lobby by the way. Any questions on MSC please ask. 

This was installed on the Carnival Horizon and now the Carnival Panorama, and when it was first introduced about two years ago, many were left frustrated and confused at it, most likely caused by a lack of more precise instructions on Carnival's end. I think Princess could do this for their next generation ships down the line, but we'll see if Carnival Corp thinks it's a good idea to spread this particular innovation. 

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Currently onboard the MSC Grandiosa, amazing ship and tech onboard. The elevators are something I’ve not seen before, in each elevator lobby there is a touch screen with a pad on for calling your deck number, the system tells you what elevator to use and directs you to it.

On Princess, I would expect a queue of 20 people at each touch screen.  The crowds at the end of the muster drill would take

several days to dissipate...

Bottom line. Princess ships just do not have enough elevators, plus the call button system, especially in the mid ship, is very poorly thought out.

Grand Class ships, 2,600 pax, 14 elevators

Super Grand Class ships, 3,100 pax, 1 extra deck, 14 elevators,

Royal Class ships, 3,600 pax, between 3 to 4 extra decks, 14 elevators.

Get the pattern more passengers, more decks, no extra elevators

• Like 2

5 hours ago, antsp said:

Currently onboard the MSC Grandiosa, amazing ship and tech onboard. The elevators are something I’ve not seen before, in each elevator lobby there is a touch screen with a pad on for calling your deck number, the system tells you what elevator to use and directs you to it. Once on the elevator no button inside needs to be pressed the system automatically takes you to your requested deck. The advantages are no stopping at all decks, and only passengers going in that direction will board the elevator. 12 elevators at each lobby by the way. Any questions on MSC please ask. 

We’ve seen this system before. Stony Brook University Hospital has had it for a number of years; so much easier!

6 hours ago, antsp said:

Newer buildings in Manhattan have these elevators now. When I first came across them the first thing I thought was how great they would be on a cruise ship.

Just now, riffatsea said:

Sure-But the more bells and whistles it has , the more that can go wrong!

Yes you are right. Let’s go back to the steam powered elevators that required an elevator operator. Lord and Taylor on 5th Ave used them up until the end. They still broke down but at least you had someone to talk to while you waited to be rescued. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes you are right. Let’s go back to the steam powered elevators that required an elevator operator. Lord and Taylor on 5th Ave used them up until the end. They still broke down but at least you had someone to talk to while you waited to be rescued. 

Love it!!(LOL)   A way to provide more jobs especially for poor seniors!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve also used this very efficient system in office buildings.  It would be great if this could work on more cruise ships.  Waiting for elevators, and then stopping at every deck, is one of the few frustrations everyone experiences on ships. These systems really increase the amount of people that can be accommodated in a much shorter period of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigGuy25 said:

I’ve also used this very efficient system in office buildings.  It would be great if this could work on more cruise ships.  Waiting for elevators, and then stopping at every deck, is one of the few frustrations everyone experiences on ships. These systems really increase the amount of people that can be accommodated in a much shorter period of time.

When our office building replaced the old elevators with new around 2010 they installed this new technology. All the tenants received written instructions well in advance but it was still a bumpy roll-out for our 11 story building with 3 elevators.   Visitors were flummoxed.  While it seems simple, many people didn't pay any attention to the new touch pad and its instructions.  As a matter of habit they still just crowded into the first elevator and then wondered why they couldn't make it stop on their floor.  Until this technology is widely used and large numbers of people are exposed to it, I imagine there will be great chaos and consternation on embarkation day (and for some people, throughout the entire cruise).

Just off of the Sky Princess. The ship everyone was balling about the elevators. My gosh. So much in a hurry to go maybe one deck up or down which we saw regularly.  I can understand it if you have a physical problem walking up but down. Such as we have. Still we did walk up a deck or two max. 6 elevators mid ship. Some times we waited about 2 min. to get an elevator.  You wait that long or longer at a traffic light. We only had two problems. The tone when the elevator arrived was super low and most of the time you could not hear it. So we kept an eye on the buttons. Next were the people that just love to cram into an elevator. What is your freekin hurry? We always do self assist. Any elevator going down is usually jam packed. We take it going up. It is usually headed for the buffet Lido deck. Everyone gets our but us. So down we go to get off. An extra minute. Now if we are on a ship and we are below the deck to get off. Never a problem. So chill out when waiting for the elevator. The mad rush to get on one when it arrives and not giving those on the elevator a chance to get off first. Calm down and be courteous to others. You and them are on vacation. Enjoy the time.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

It seems that almost everyone, at one time or another, when wanting to go UP has gotten on an empty elevator going DOWN just so they can get in one for the ride back up!!

If the elevators are busy, I just get onto the first one that is available, up or down.

My husband must use a scooter to get around on a ship. Some people always rush past to get on the elevator, so he often waits a long time.

11 minutes ago, Dandylyon said:

If the elevators are busy, I just get onto the first one that is available, up or down.

My husband must use a scooter to get around on a ship. Some people always rush past to get on the elevator, so he often waits a long time.

I have not had that experience. Most every time there are those that will hold the doors open while that person gets on. Same they are getting off. I am sure you are aware. Two scooters are taking up the entire elevator. 

Just now, twodaywonder said:

I have not had that experience. Most every time there are those that will hold the doors open while that person gets on. Same they are getting off. I am sure you are aware. Two scooters are taking up the entire elevator. 

Yes, I am sure that the scooters are annoying to some because they take up so much room. Heck, sometimes they annoy me, too! You're right, most of the time most people are kind and courteous.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

All elevators have had computers for years now as well as vehicles, Tv's, .....you name it.

Yes of course!! Don't you know that the more complicated job that the computer is doing the more chances there are for something to go flooey!

Until we had keyless entries into cars or driverless cars no one worried about your car getting hacked but oh wow! Look what the car can do now.

Same with the elevator.

Of course technology is here to stay and makes life easier and easier but it also opens up new problems that folks never dreamed of!

BTW I don't really care about elevators doing what these new ones can do.

We walk a lot on each cruise so the old fashioned elevators are fine with me.

Edited by riffatsea

1 minute ago, riffatsea said:

Yes of course!! Don't you know that the more complicated job that the computer is doing the more chances there are for something to go flooey!

Until we had keyless entries into cars or driverless cars no one worried about your car getting hacked but oh wow! Look what the car can do now.

Same with the elevator.

Of course technology is here to stay and makes life easier and easier but it also opens up new problems that folks never dreamed of!

Always been the case.  Over 100 years ago many towns required someone to walk carrying a flag in front of the new fangled autos in order to reduce spooking the horses.  I laugh when I hear people complain about tech.  Sure even cavemen complained when someone invented fire.  A huge percentage of the population has a lot of problems with any changes.

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Bottom line. Princess ships just do not have enough elevators, plus the call button system, especially in the mid ship, is very poorly thought out.

Grand Class ships, 2,600 pax, 14 elevators

Super Grand Class ships, 3,100 pax, 1 extra deck, 14 elevators,

Royal Class ships, 3,600 pax, between 3 to 4 extra decks, 14 elevators.

Get the pattern more passengers, more decks, no extra elevators

Glad someone else notice this. Recently on the Royal Princess and luckily my cabin was on deck 8 so could use stairs to decks 5-7. Seldom went above deck 8 because I couldn't get an elevator.

• Haha 1