Dear Princess, if you want to know how to run Elevators....

antsp

1 minute ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Glad someone else notice this. Recently on the Royal Princess and luckily my cabin was on deck 8 so could use stairs to decks 5-7. Seldom went above deck 8 because I couldn't get an elevator.

Couldn't get an elevator? Really!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

BTW I don't really care about elevators doing what these new ones can do.

We walk a lot on each cruise so the old fashioned elevators are fine with me

Totally agree. Sadly, we can't use the stairs as much as we used to - knees and back aren't what they used to be - but we do still use the stairs and do a lot of walking. "Regular" elevators work well enough for us.

26 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

And my biggest peeve about elevators on the ship is the people who are perfectly capable of walking up or down one flight of stairs, who don't.  

Agree. We see so many go up or down one darn deck that have no problem walking. We have bad knees and we still will go down at least two 1-3 and up at least one. Sometimes two.

28 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

And my biggest peeve about elevators on the ship is the people who are perfectly capable of walking up or down one flight of stairs, who don't.  

I have to admit I am often surprised to find people taking the elevator to go just one deck - especially going down. I do understand that sometimes knees or hips may preclude use of stairs but most of the time it appears to just be simple laziness. We did use the elevator to go just one deck on our last cruise but we had been talking and not paying attention to what we were doing. The elevator opened and we got in and then realized we were on a different deck than we had been thinking and it was only one deck to ride the elevator. To make it more embarrassing we were going down. Taking the elevator down one deck instead of just using the stairs made us feel pretty dorky. Heck, the stairs are almost always faster than the elevator when only going a few decks either way.

• Like 1

Reading the elevator issues makes me glad I rarely use them.  I book a cabin on Emerald deck for Royal class and pretty much stay on decks 5, 6 and 7.  I don't eat at the buffet, cruises I take I'm not using swimming pools.  I will take an elevator for a show on MUTS if I'm interested.  I can do 4 or 5 decks usually but not 8 or 9 decks of stairs.

I'm blessed to be in my 70's with good health, sore lower back now and then but walking does me good.  I really like Emerald deck when coming back from shore, where so many are always waiting for elevators, I just walk up to my cabin.

When the Regal first rolled out the Medallion a couple of years ago, after we all boarded and if all were going to the same floor(e.g. Deck 17) I would loudly say “express”.  As my fellow elevator mates were looking at me like I was an idiot, I would explain that this was a new feature of the Medallion there were testing. It worked about 3/4 of the time. I was hoping it would catch on but I never saw anyone else using the express feature.

• Haha 1

I just got off the Carnival Panorama, which had this system (the technical term is destination dispatch elevators). At first, it was chaotic. They would have been wise to hand out a flyer at check in with how they work, but they didn't--or, they should have had a crew member by the elevators the first few hours to explain. After that, though, it worked great. Because it is such a more efficient system, elevators were often empty when the doors opened. One mistake folks made though, was looking at the reader board to see each car's destination--and if it matched theirs, they wouldn't enter it too. That defeats the purpose, as it tracks how many requests are made for each floor, and reacts accordingly. I loved it. 

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I would have to agreed with this... ( particularly younger people )

will uses elevator to go 14 to 9 with plates in hands.... or 9 to17 for canapés

but for a couple floors walk

Cheers Don